• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ANY CHANGES AT KKUP-FM?

Edward4u

Inactive
Inactive User
I live in San Francisco in Noe Valley at the top of the Castro Street hill near 22nd.

The other day I was driving home and tuning to KALW at 91.7 and actually landed on 91.5 KKUP.

In my car, the signal was almost as strong as KALW although there was some occasionally tearing.

When I got home, I checked 91.5 on my home radio and, sure enough, KKUP was coming in strong even though I am 3 floors up and on the top of the hill with KALW only about a mile away.

Initially I thought it might be a skip but KKUP has been strong for several days.

Have they made any changes to be able to increase their signal strength in much of San Francisco?

KKUP is completely hemmed in signal-wise and there's no way for them to increase power. I'm not in a location where I can check, but the most likely scenario is that KALW has turned off their HD Radio transmitter. Prior to the advent of HD Radio, KKUP used to have listeners calling in from as far away as Napa and Vallejo. Since KALW started transmitting in HD I haven't been able to get them much farther north than Palo Alto, however. If you're receiving them in The City that almost assuredly means that KALW has stopped their HD transmission - either because of an equipment failure or they're one of the stations that is consciously turning it off to reduce their power bill.

Dave B.

Today I had the (?good?) fortune of having to drive from San Jose to Marin County and across the Richmond/San Rafael bridge and back down the East Bay. I can confirm that KALW's HD was not on today, and probably wasn't on when you heard KKUP in Noe Valley. KKUP wasn't as good as it used to be (we're talking early 2000's - pre-HD) near Burlingame, but from what I remember it was about the same in Oakland and on the East side of the Bay. I have a different car now, so the radio might be part of it. Also, at some points in Marin County you could hear the new 91.5 from Fairfield (at least that's what I assume it was - it was a serious fire-and-brimstone sermon) instead of KKUP.

KKUP also has noticeably less picket-fencing driving around the South Bay. I never thought about it before, but now I know why.

Dave B.

DaveBayArea said:
Today I had the (?good?) fortune of having to drive from San Jose to Marin County and across the Richmond/San Rafael bridge and back down the East Bay. I can confirm that KALW's HD was not on today [....]

Maybe a thank-you note to Matt Martin, the GM of KALW is in order...

DavidKaye said:
DaveBayArea said:
Today I had the (?good?) fortune of having to drive from San Jose to Marin County and across the Richmond/San Rafael bridge and back down the East Bay. I can confirm that KALW's HD was not on today [....]

Maybe a thank-you note to Matt Martin, the GM of KALW is in order...
Bad Idea, what if its an equitment failure, and they then turn it back on :)

RadioFanSF said:
I live in San Francisco in Noe Valley at the top of the Castro Street hill near 22nd.

The other day I was driving home and tuning to KALW at 91.7 and actually landed on 91.5 KKUP.

In my car, the signal was almost as strong as KALW although there was some occasionally tearing.

When I got home, I checked 91.5 on my home radio and, sure enough, KKUP was coming in strong even though I am 3 floors up and on the top of the hill with KALW only about a mile away.

Initially I thought it might be a skip but KKUP has been strong for several days.

Have they made any changes to be able to increase their signal strength in much of San Francisco?

Isn't KKUP based in Palo Alto? But KKUP attracts a very smal audience. 91.5 in Fairfield is K-Love or Mr Camping's sacramento station.

recto101 said:
RadioFanSF said:

Isn't KKUP based in Palo Alto? But KKUP attracts a very smal audience. 91.5 in Fairfield is K-Love or Mr Camping's sacramento station.

KKUP's studios are in the same industrial park as the former studios of KUFX, KSJO and KCNL in San Jose near North First Street and Highway 880.

suburbandj said:
recto101 said:
RadioFanSF said:

KKUP's studios are in the same industrial park as the former studios of KUFX, KSJO and KCNL in San Jose near North First Street and Highway 880.

Isn't KKUP like Ozcat in Vallejo but for a south bay Audience. Also Didn't KUFX move to the Entercom Studios in San Francisco to share space with KOIT right when they took the 102.1 spot.

KKUP has a great transmitter locaton - Loma Prieta. When I worked at the old KLRS 99.1 in Santa Cruz, we shared the transmitter building with KKUP and the old KWSS (KFAT). The view from that site was great, all over Monterey Bay and Silcon Valley. KKUP is in Cupertino.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom