• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AMP is 5 years old today !

The playlist of the late '60s/'70s/'80s music of the old WODS Classic Hits format as it was just before the switch five years ago is still playing automated on the 103.3 HD2 channel. Don't know if anyone there is listening to it, the audio processing has been sounding muddy for at least a few months now.

The playlist of the late '60s/'70s/'80s music of the old WODS Classic Hits format as it was just before the switch five years ago is still playing automated on the 103.3 HD2 channel. Don't know if anyone there is listening to it, the audio processing has been sounding muddy for at least a few months now.

Yes, we've heard many times how the music from the late WODS is on its HD-2 subchannel, but, for those of us - and I suspect this is a rather large number - who have neither HD radios nor the ability to pick up a stream in our vehicles, this does us no good at all.

WROR's playlist is not that of pre-2012 WODS. And North Shore 104.9 has limited and spotty coverage.

103.3 AMP Radio seems perfect the way it is in Boston, so I can't see Entercom blowing up AMP Radio or giving 103.3 to someone else. If there's a radio station in Boston that will get spun, It'll likely be The Sports Hub because there's no way the Department of Justice will allow Entercom to own both WEEI and The Sports Hub as well as the sports rights for all five teams in the Boston area. I'm not sure about the 2nd FM to be spun, but Entercom will have options on what will they divest. I'm thinking that an iHeart swap in Boston may be conceivable, just as long as Entercom and iHeartMedia are willing to do a swap.

Here's a fun fact:
When CBS Radio/Infinity bought out American Radio Systems in 1998, CBS ended up spinning 93.7 and 107.3 to Entercom.

Well, if you like the music/format that much...sounds like a fixable situation on your part.

Up here in the Merrimack Valley, reception of the Boston HD subchannels is usually hit or miss. It takes a while for the radio to acquire and sync to the signal, then, only seconds later, the signal disappears. And that's when the signals are being broadcast. Many a time I tried tuning in an HD subchannel on either 103.3 or 100.7 only to find it not there at all.

As for liking WODS-HD2's "oldies" offering: fuhgeddaboudit! With no personalities like Paula Street, Patrick Callahan, Mike Finnegan the music is lifeless.

For my part, the best oldies are available on Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel (TOC). KFRC.com isn't too bad, but delves way too much (for my tastes) into the 80s, more so than Scott's TOC, at the expense of the 60s.

Up here in the Merrimack Valley, reception of the Boston HD subchannels is usually hit or miss. It takes a while for the radio to acquire and sync to the signal, then, only seconds later, the signal disappears. And that's when the signals are being broadcast. Many a time I tried tuning in an HD subchannel on either 103.3 or 100.7 only to find it not there at all.

As for liking WODS-HD2's "oldies" offering: fuhgeddaboudit! With no personalities like Paula Street, Patrick Callahan, Mike Finnegan the music is lifeless.

For my part, the best oldies are available on Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel (TOC). KFRC.com isn't too bad, but delves way too much (for my tastes) into the 80s, more so than Scott's TOC, at the expense of the 60s.

Thanks for the heads-up on TOC!!! I'm listening right now....Not bad!!!!:)
Like so many others....I WAS an "Oldies 103.3" junkie......back in the "days".....!:(

There were many a days in the summers of the mid 2000's I would be cruising around the back roads of New Hampshire on my Harley, the radio tuned to 103.3. Miss those days.

There were many a days in the summers of the mid 2000's I would be cruising around the back roads of New Hampshire on my Harley, the radio tuned to 103.3. Miss those days.

The insiders on this and that other radio site tell those like me who "know nothing about the business of radio" that Oldies 103.3 can't draw listeners, can't make money, is never coming back, so we should just get over it. But I'd like to ask them this: how many of the hip-hop crowd actually listen to all those Boston stations that go out of their way to cater to them? Would any hip-hop fans frequent a site such as this to justify the number of stations playing hip-hop or some variant thereof? At least there are a small number of us who bemoan the loss of Oldies 103.3 unabashedly.

The insiders on this and that other radio site tell those like me who "know nothing about the business of radio" that Oldies 103.3 can't draw listeners, can't make money, is never coming back, so we should just get over it. But I'd like to ask them this: how many of the hip-hop crowd actually listen to all those Boston stations that go out of their way to cater to them? Would any hip-hop fans frequent a site such as this to justify the number of stations playing hip-hop or some variant thereof? At least there are a small number of us who bemoan the loss of Oldies 103.3 unabashedly.

The issue with WODS as "Oldies" is that it had a competitor in WROR that was taking a large amount of the 35-54 agency budgets in Boston. There just was not enough money for two similarly targeted stations.

WROR is now, on average, the #1 station in 25-54 listeners so their revenue is increasing. But when WODS was there as a competitor, the fragmented shares sometimes even meant that neither station got on buys.

A return of Oldies 103.3 would likely get lots of listeners. Most would be over 55. They would not make money. There is essentially no agency money spent against persons 55 and over.

The stations playing current rhythmic, hip hop and pop music make money. They will stay in those formats until they don't. But they will not pick a format which is known to attract close to zero agency buys.

Last edited:

You ought to try streaming the WWOD/WFYX simulcast at koolnh.com. It's an oldies station up in the Vermont/New Hampshire Upper Valley (White River Junction/Hanover area) that's still '60s and '70s only except for syndication on weekends. They even have a daily "class reunion" hour (songs from one year) and a Top 4 at 4 (Billboard chart toppers for that week). A real throwback of a station, with a deeper playlist than most -- reminiscent of WBOQ 104.9 before it shifted its focus to '70s and '80s and threw out the stiffs and non-testers.

You ought to try streaming the WWOD/WFYX simulcast at koolnh.com. It's an oldies station up in the Vermont/New Hampshire Upper Valley (White River Junction/Hanover area) that's still '60s and '70s only except for syndication on weekends. They even have a daily "class reunion" hour (songs from one year) and a Top 4 at 4 (Billboard chart toppers for that week). A real throwback of a station, with a deeper playlist than most -- reminiscent of WBOQ 104.9 before it shifted its focus to '70s and '80s and threw out the stiffs and non-testers.

Thanks for the online link to these guys!! I've listened to WWOD-FM (93.9) when I've traveled through Woodstock (COL) on the way to Killington/Rutland.....IMHO, not too shabby!!:)

Thanks for the online link to these guys!! I've listened to WWOD-FM (93.9) when I've traveled through Woodstock (COL) on the way to Killington/Rutland.....IMHO, not too shabby!!:)

I have family in West Lebanon and can listen to 96.3 from just north of Brattleboro before picking up 93.9 between Springfield and Windsor as I drive up I-91. Between that simulcast, Vermont Public Radio's excellent VPR Classical format on 88.1 WNCH Norwich, and The Point (from Montpelier, but carried on 103.1 WRJT in Royalton to serve the Upper Valley), there's no shortage of enjoyable music for this out-of-the-sellable-demo listener on what otherwise would be a pretty boring drive up from Central Connecticut.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom