• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM radio - it doesn't get any better than this!

Currently (3:35 p.m.+ EDT, 1935 GMT) listening to 1500 WPSO-New Port Richey and 1520 WXYB-Indian Rocks Beach. Greek music/programming on 1500, parallel 1520. Well, kinda parallel. They are also running a Spanish gospel program on 1520 -- literally atop the Greek audio. Switch to 1500 and there's no Spanish, switch to 1520, the Spanish is mixed with the Greek. And 1520 in particular has (as usual) about the worst modulation of anything emitting in Central Florida, if not beyond. This is so sad, it's actually funny. And to think, not only are these two holders of valid FCC licenses, but someone probably paid for at least one of these programs!

And to top it off, the stations probably wont even get a call....reminds me about if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

> It's all Greek to me!
>
> (Oh... I am so sorry.)
>

Ok, so I've got another great "AM is anyone listening?" story. A friend was working at a small town AM daytime only station in another state. He did afternoons, then since the station didn't have a production room, he'd stay after the signoff at sunset and do all of the production from the control room. That was it, just a control room and a couple of offices. They ran 1,000 watts day non-directional. So at sunset he plays the sign off cart and starts working on his production through the control room board. He spends hours, re-cutting commercials, listening to music cuts, playing jingles, more commercials, singing into the mic, etc. About 11 pm, he was listening to a cut of hard rock music (it was a country station) and he looked over at the transmitter in the next room. Modulation meter was pumping and all the lights were on. He had forgotten to turn the transmitter off at sunset! He said with 1,000 watts they were probably covering a huge area at night. The transmitter had been on the whole time. He said the amazing thing was, not one phone call. He never heard any comment from the owner or the general manager. He thought surely someone would've heard it and mentioned his "evening of broadcasting" but no one ever said a thing and he didn't tell anyone at the station.

> I'm thinking WXYB-1520 may be onto something very clever
> here: double billing! Think of the revenue possibilities.
> >
>

I've noticed the FCC database has them listed as a daytimer, and I've also noticed they're on waaaay past sunset. Is it a matter of them getting nighttime authorization, and the commission's database needs up-dating, or do they possibly need a little 'visit'?

> > I'm thinking WXYB-1520 may be onto something very clever
> > here: double billing! Think of the revenue possibilities.
>
> I've noticed the FCC database has them listed as a daytimer,
> and I've also noticed they're on waaaay past sunset. Is it
> a matter of them getting nighttime authorization, and the
> commission's database needs up-dating, or do they possibly
> need a little 'visit'?

Listen to their pathetic excuse for a legal ID on tophour.net for a laugh.<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL
RadioHotTalk.com & VarietyHits.com</P>

They probably have some type of post sunset authorization. I know 1530 in Englewood does the same thing. I dont know of any FCC records you can check to find them.

> I've noticed the FCC database has them listed as a daytimer,
> and I've also noticed they're on waaaay past sunset. Is it
> a matter of them getting nighttime authorization, and the
> commission's database needs up-dating, or do they possibly
> need a little 'visit'?
>

> Currently (3:35 p.m.+ EDT, 1935 GMT) listening to 1500
> WPSO-New Port Richey and 1520 WXYB-Indian Rocks Beach.
> Greek music/programming on 1500, parallel 1520. Well, kinda
> parallel. They are also running a Spanish gospel program on
> 1520 -- literally atop the Greek audio. Switch to 1500 and
> there's no Spanish, switch to 1520, the Spanish is mixed
> with the Greek. And 1520 in particular has (as usual) about
> the worst modulation of anything emitting in Central
> Florida, if not beyond. This is so sad, it's actually
> funny. And to think, not only are these two holders of
> valid FCC licenses, but someone probably paid for at least
> one of these programs!
>
Two Greek brothers operate those stations. Their name is Agelatos. They do not own WPSO. They have a lease agreement with the owner. They used to "lease" my old AM (WLVU 1470) years ago.

They don't have to worry about the FCC! They answer to the HCC -- the Hellenic Communications Commission!

Fun site Lou. Thanks for the tip.<P ID="signature">______________
In November 2005, observing 30 years in broadcasting by finally QUITTING and getting a real job!</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom