• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM not on clock radio

Bought a Memorex brand clock radio for my bedroom and moved the old Sony to the kitchen.The new one has digital display,bluetooth,and a USB charger. FM Radio.Wait where's the AM? Not included! Well I'll keep it since I like it otherwise but to get AM I'd either plug my smartphone or a small am-fm into aux jack,or use bluetooth via smartphone.(Some mp3 players have radio but FM only--Sony,Sansa.No real AM antenna).And the Best Buy Insignia HD portable is FM only but some AMs show up on HD2 or HD3 signals.And some AMs now simulcast on FM translators

I'm used to no direct AM now. I bought one of those little Insignia FM HD radio "Walkman" things a few years ago. In greater Hartford, the AM sister of WTIC-FM 96.5 and WDRC-FM 102.9 appear on their HD2 and HD3 channels, respectively. Likewise, I think WPOP-AM 1410 of Hartford is simulcasted on WUCS-FM 97.9 HD2.

I went to visit my twenty-something daughter, who lives out of state.
She did not OWN a radio. There was not a single radio in the entire apartment!

Concerned about what she would do in the event of an emergency I ordered a hand-cranked
emergency radio for her for Christmas. When it arrived I was surprised to see it was FM only.....no AM.

Of my 4 favourite stations, only 2 (Smooth FM and Radio 2) are on FM nationwide. Of the other two, Gold is AM only and Absolute is only on FM in some regions of the UK.

So I think I'll be listening to AM for a few years yet. Digital radio might be the future, but the future isn't here yet, at least not for me.....

For waking up, I pretty much have to have AM. I chose one station I knew I could hear when it was still dark, though there's no guarantee. This time of year, there's always a good strong signal and I wake up hearing that the school board voted to close this school, or the county commissioners provided funding so that school wouldn't close, or so and so was hired. And often some audio from the actual meeting. On weekends it's some talk show about medical topics.

But there's no music on FM I could conceive of putting up with when I'm half asleep.

In the car, all the stations I actually like are AM. Occasionally when I travel I'm in range of an FM I can stand.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom