• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 840

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Houston TX, daytime is usually blank, although I've heard KWDF in Ball, LA a few times in the winter. At sunset, WHAS starts coming in, with KVJY from Pharr TX as well, mixing w/KWDF. I've heard KTIC a few times as well. At night, it's WHAS and KVJY fighting it out, both on ~the same bearing. It does seem that KVJY is stronger than their listed 1kw night power. At sunrise, it's the same 4 as at sunset.

I should be able to hear Dobleve from Cuba in the WHAS/KVJY null, but have never been able to ID them.

Daytimes, nothing here in eastern Iowa. WHAS might be audible someday on some fun winter day of daytime skywave, but I don't think I've heard it. Maybe a trace.
Things sure ain't what they used to be. WHAS used to come in here like a freight train night after night. Now it's no longer particularly strong.

Back last century when the daytime racket here wasn't an issue, tiny WVPO from Stroudsburg used to come in faintly from 56 miles ENE of here, essentially on the Delaware. 250 watts, omni, day only. They're now WPCO, feeding a translator as 'Poco'. Classic hits.
(Back in Queens they were a day regular from 78 miles WNW on a good radio).

Just WHAS here at night.
840 seems to be a good SRS or SSS freq here in the northeast ; there are a couple of stations that could come in during thens.

Things sure ain't what they used to be. WHAS used to come in here like a freight train night after night. Now it's no longer particularly strong.
Funny how this works sometimes. If anything, WHAS is stronger here than "back in the day. But "neighbors" WCCO and KOA are, if anything, usually at least slightly weaker. WHAS is...and has beem...strong at the beach on the Gulf Coast.

And FWIW.....I STILL miss Joe Donovan's WHAS all night show!!!

WHAS 24/7. It's a local for me as the stick in Eastwood, is only 35 air miles from me.
I grew up listening to WAKY, then WHAS when they " modernized" in the 70s, with current hit music, due to WAKY beating them in the ratings. And on into the 80s, they did very well.
On occasion I have heard Cuba under WHAS, but not often. Even last year when they were off the air a few times, the Cuban was there but weak. Nothing else.
When I travel, I always try to check places I can hear WHAS. It's impressive the number of places I've heard The Big 84, and heard it well.
As for Joe Donovans show, in a class all by itself. Never has been anything to compare since.
Joe was a consummate gentleman. Met him at the Kentucky State Fair at the WHAS booth and asked him about old music. As gracious and smooth as he was on the air...

South Mississippi:

Day: weak signal from WBHY Mobile, AL - Christian 840
Night: strong signal from Newsradio 840 WHAS Louisville, and sometimes KWDF Ball, LA (Christian radio)
Radio Dobleve has also come in when WHAS was off.

From NW San Antonio

Day: Usually nothing but a bit of splatter from local 860 KONO. If I go to a location
outside away from RFI, I can hear a very weak KVJY "Radio Aleluya" in Pharr, TX.

Sunset: KVJY has a good signal and WHAS starts to come up a little later.

Night: KVJY is dominant more often than not. WHAS mixes in at times and occasionally takes over depending on conditions and especially if I aim the radio E-NE. Also, aiming that way I sometimes hear a weak XEXXX "Fiesta Mexicana" in Tamazula underneath.

Sunrise: KWDF is a regular, and it can overwhelm KVJY at times before the latter goes to day power. In addition, XEXXX is heard a bit more often underneath or mixing in.

DX/Retro: I’ve logged Doblevé in Cuba just once, back in 2017, and KTIC in West Point, NE, just twice. Also, I've heard KDNF in Belen, NM, two times - first when it was KARS “Area 102.9" and a few years later when it was KJFA "Exitos 102.9."

Nutley, NJ

Daytime: Years ago (around the late 00's early 10's) A TIS Station from Bloomfield, NJ
Critical: WRYM New Britain, CT
Nighttime: WHAS Louisville, KY

Boise Idaho
Daytime sometimes a noticeable carrier from KMAX Colfax WA if they're running 10 kw and the noise floor's low.
Night mostly a strong KXNT Las Vegas with KMAX equal some nights probably with 10 kW.
Haven't heard Eugene or Seaside in a long time. KSWB reportedly running micopower when on.
Maybe Modesto sunrise/sunset.

Boise Idaho
Daytime sometimes a noticeable carrier from KMAX Colfax WA if they're running 10 kw and the noise floor's low.
Night mostly a strong KXNT Las Vegas with KMAX equal some nights probably with 10 kW.
Haven't heard Eugene or Seaside in a long time. KSWB reportedly running micopower when on.
Maybe Modesto sunrise/sunset.
KXNT (and previous) were common at night for me on my biz trips to California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom