• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week 710

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of posters have indicated that WOR is not as strong now at their locations than it was a couple of decades ago. False memories or has WOR's signal really somehow deteriorated?

@ CT Listener
As 'recenty' as the late 90's, WOR had shown, in the .4's of the Philadelhia ratings but very regularly. The 'way' older pattern -- two towers -- from the site in Carteret NJ was closer to Philly than the current one. They always sent a good deal of their 50K down Route 1, anyway. The 'newer' xmtr pattern doesn't seem to've changed. But I certainly haven't bothered catching up with NYC / Meadowlands hijinxing and biplexing. Someone here will know how many sites they've had since the 60's,
It's WOR on top here 24/7. But one afternoon, early SSS, I wound up being entertained* as a household member of the Savage Nation while waiting for this sometimes-readable English-speaking station under WOR to ID. Finally snatched an ID. It was CJRN Niagara Falls.
Slowly I turned ....... step by step ..... logged in it the book, and continued listening to Michael Savage.

* I kept listening to Savage because it was truly a touch of home. Hearing his accent, voice, proclivities, and his compromised free association was exactly like listening to my own Dad going off !

I just remember that a lot of the nights in the 90s, I'd have the Reds on in the background as I did homework. At a certain point, a little slop ... which I only called "interference" in those days ... would start showing up and it would always be from WOR. My orientation to Cincinnati is not far off the orientation to New York, so it was almost impossible to null WOR without doing the same to WLW. Never made WLW unlistenable, but it was enough to be annoying.
When I listen to WLW at night nowadays, that slop is rarely if ever there, and I live only about five miles from where I grew up. Their pattern on Radio Locator indicates a decent lobe in this direction at night though.

WRTH for this year indicates 11 stations on 710. The operation of the 300 kw ones is actually very likely as 710 is used to block Radio Mambí from Miami, which they dislike much more even than Radio Martí.
Update: I made it a point to go straight to 710 after arriving in the Pensacola area yesterday. The "Rebelde chorus did seem a little weaker than when I was here in February. But not by a huge degree. What did, however, sound different was the echo effect of the transmitters not being as tightly synchronized. Same goes for that effect the transmitters pn 1190. Althere on 1180 the signal(s) sounded as strong as ever..

Hard to draw any conclusions from just one night. But conditions in general seemed pretty good. It lso may be worth noting that R; Encyclopedia on 530 seemed stronger than previous. A did R. Progreso on 890, But at the same time. R. Nacional on 590 was shockingly weak. Plua rhe classical music was interrupted for some sort of monologue. The music did resume later.

Go figure!

Hard to draw any conclusions from just one night. But conditions in general seemed pretty good. It lso may be worth noting that R; Encyclopedia on 530 seemed stronger than previous. A did R. Progreso on 890, But at the same time. R. Nacional on 590 was shockingly weak. Plua rhe classical music was interrupted for some sort of monologue. The music did resume later.
My guess is that the Chinese did a good job installing the whole new AM system, replacing the now 50 year old Russian transmitters. But the maintenance is tough due to the deteriorated power grid in all of Cuba that causes low or erratic voltage, surges, outages and other noxious stuff.

Boise Idaho?
Day, nada. Have to go 100 miles closer to Seattle. KIRO 710's listenable past Pendleton OR.
Sunset KFIA Carmichael CA gives KIRO problems until they go DA. KSPN sometimes.
Night a weak KIRO with KFIA in there. KXMR Bismark ND booms in before sunrise and when they don't go DA in the evening.

My guess is that the Chinese did a good job installing the whole new AM system, replacing the now 50 year old Russian transmitters. But the maintenance is tough due to the deteriorated power grid in all of Cuba that causes low or erratic voltage, surges, outages and other noxious stuff.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. One of my first thoughts was if I'm correct in my observations, then perhaps the power that can be supplied to each transmitter varies widely. For a while this morning, I was wondering if maybe R. Nacional might evehen ie be off entirely, When it did come back, it was in remarkably weakened form. It did seem to be progressively getting stronger. But maybe that was just my imagination.

Back to 710, I haven't had a chance to check it out during daylight. But if I don't hear the Rebelde chorus under WNTM, I'll be pretty much convinced that something's definitely up.

Northeast Essex County, NJ. WOR is 4 miles from my location.

When it was off once at night about 5 years ago, It was pretty silent. Faint Radio Rebelde in the background. I was expecting it to be there a little stronger, considering Radio Rebelde interferes with WOR as close to Central New Jersey

Based on my own anecdotal experience, Rebelde seems ro become noticeably weaker in the Midwest north and west of Nashville. At my home location in the Chicago area, Rebelde is no match for WGN (720), with its 50kw transmitter about 25 miles away. On rare occasions I've heard it here with WGN nulled.

These days on 710, I get nothing during the day (KCMO used to be faintly audible sometimes). At night, I get either KCMO Kansas City or WDSM Duluth. Usually one or the other, not both. Occasionally, I can hear WOR or a mix of WOR and either of the other two. Rather unpredictable.

From NW San Antonio:

Day: It's heavy splatter from local 720 KSAH.

Sunset: KGNC in Amarillo and a weaker Radio Rebelde come up amidst the noise.

Night: KSAH's slop is reduced at night power. Aiming north, KGNC is dominant; aiming east, KEEL is dominant. At times, KGNC will take over in both directions for a bit. Radio Rebelde comes up occasionally when I aim east/southeast, and it can overtake KEEL when propagation is good. XEMP in Mexico City sometimes pops up when I aim southwest.

Sunrise: KEEL gets stronger at day power but eventually KGNC takes over and is last to fade.

DX/Retro: One time loggings include KCMO in Kansas City, MO, and KURV in Edinburg, TX, which I heard via groundwave one afternoon in a park away from RFI. I used to hear XEDP "La Ranchera" in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc fairly regularly at sunrise before it was retired.

From NW San Antonio:

DX/Retro: One time loggings include KCMO in Kansas City, MO, and KURV in Edinburg, TX, which I heard via groundwave one afternoon in a park away from RFI. I used to hear XEDP "La Ranchera" in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc fairly regularly at sunrise before it was retired.

Correction: XEDP is alive and well. This morning just after 6 a.m. CT I heard the station going to day power with the Mexico national anthem, Spanish-language DJ talk, and a Mennonite program in a German dialect.

South Mississippi:

Day: Newsradio 710 WNTM Mobile, AL is strong near the coast, weaker inland
Night: better signal from WNTM, Radio Rebelde, and sometimes KEEL Shreveport, LA

90 miles N of the Vashon Is. transmitter, KIRO booms in day or night. Nothing underneath, ever. I am wondering if our KSKO friend hears KIRO up there- a LOT of the signal gets dumped into the Gulf of Alaska.

Central Kentucky:
Daytime: WLW splatter despite being 100 miles away. (Maybe IBOC?)
Nights: A weak WOR. If WLW was running IBOC, WOR was non existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom