• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
WSCR has that Cuban interference in SC. It‘s rarely listenable at all here anymore.

But it does have the best Chicago AM daytime signal. About 5-6 years ago I heard them in metro Cleveland (Independence) daytime with my loop and a good Sangean radio.

Some days, I can drive around central Ohio listening to Cubs games thanks to my car's excellent AM radio.

Kenosha, WI-

Daytime- WSCR Chicago. Very strong local signal. I recall as WMAQ they were one of the last holdouts to use Kahn- Hazeltine AM Stereo. Always sounded good at night, when C-Quam stations were all platform motion. (Who remembers "WMAQ is gonna make me rich"?)

Night- WSCR Still local signal. I can usually get just enough of a null to hear Cuba way down underneath.

WSCR has that Cuban interference in SC. It‘s rarely listenable at all here anymore.

But it does have the best Chicago AM daytime signal. About 5-6 years ago I heard them in metro Cleveland (Independence) daytime with my loop and a good Sangean radio.
I can't say this with certainty, but there's quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that Cuba has reduced the power on some of their higher powered transmitters. Primarily due to issues with their aging power grid. David is more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. But my admittedly small sample size recent experiences suggests that this is certainly plausible.

I can't say this with certainty, but there's quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that Cuba has reduced the power on some of their higher powered transmitters. Primarily due to issues with their aging power grid. David is more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. But my admittedly small sample size recent experiences suggests that this is certainly plausible.
I agree. The Medium Wave (AM) DX club members seem to be reporting more new catches on channels that were overridden by powerful Cuban stations, indicating less interference.

I agree. The Medium Wave (AM) DX club members seem to be reporting more new catches on channels that were overridden by powerful Cuban stations, indicating less interference.
I certainly noticed lots of new stuff this past February on channels that Cuba had pretty much all to itself during my annual visit to the Gulf near Pensacola. Example: WCBS on top of R. Progreso on 880. Previously, I had heard WCBS at our location a handful of times, but never on top. Meanwhile, for another example, the Mexican stations were doing just fine. To wit: XEABC blowing out WJR on 760. Pretty much on a nightly basis.

Note: I plan to be on the Gulf again at the end of June. I'll post updates or anything else of interest I may encounter.

Last edited:
To wit: XEABC blowing out WJR on 760. Pretty much on a nightly basis.
Of course, XEABC is supposed to be directional at night. Years ago, I saw their site while driving by; it was a single tower.

That remind me of a Dominican station that was licensed to cut power at night. The transmitter had a "high" and "low" power switch, and the "Low" position was impeded with strapping tape and a taped on note saying to never touch that switch.

XEABC is always strong here at night, with WJR way underneath. Not sure if something has changed or if it's just the south-favoring conditions this year, but they seem much stronger than in years past.

I can see two towers on Google Street View at MWList's XEABC coordinates, but doesn't necessarily mean anything.

XEABC is always strong here at night, with WJR way underneath. Not sure if something has changed or if it's just the south-favoring conditions this year, but they seem much stronger than in years past.

I can see two towers on Google Street View at MWList's XEABC coordinates, but doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Maybe that's so they can immediately activate both if/when forced to.

East Tennessee: We used to have a local in WMTY, Sweetwater attempting to rimshot Knoxville. Last format was oldies, which is still being run on their FM, with a very low tower.

I remember WMTY. They were actually licensed to Farragut and were daytime only. They put a very strong signal over West Knoxville. When I moved here 15 years ago they were local oldies as "Mighty 670". Later, just before going dark, they became a "True Oldies Channel" affiliate. If I recall correctly, I'm not sure they technically simulcasted with WMTY-FM Sweetwater. Both were TOC affiliates, but I think I remember hearing different legal IDs on each signal leading me to believe it wasn't a full simulcast. Of course also WMTY-FM ran, and still runs, all religious programming on Sundays while 670 did not.

I remember WMTY. They were actually licensed to Farragut and were daytime only. They put a very strong signal over West Knoxville. When I moved here 15 years ago they were local oldies as "Mighty 670". Later, just before going dark, they became a "True Oldies Channel" affiliate. If I recall correctly, I'm not sure they technically simulcasted with WMTY-FM Sweetwater. Both were TOC affiliates, but I think I remember hearing different legal IDs on each signal leading me to believe it wasn't a full simulcast. Of course also WMTY-FM ran, and still runs, all religious programming on Sundays while 670 did not.

I think you're right on that, even liners throughout the hour. "AM 670, Knoxville" or "FM 98.3 Sweetwater" voiced by Shannon. After the Cumulus version of TOC ended, they went back to their own oldies, and never picked up the "new" TOC. TOC became available when Citadel lost the lease to 100.3 and News/Talk moved to the rimshot 98.7. (I remember Hallerin selling the downgrade to his audience.....after that I'd have hired him to sell anything).

Central Kentucky:
Days: What appears to be the " last breath" of WSCR, out in the backyard with my SR III on batteries.
Nights: WSCR booms in.
In the 70s when they were WMAQ with country music, I'd listen to them at 3:30 in the morning while delivering newspapers. Who would've thought, a country station in Chicago, back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom