• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 1350

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't aware of the new 1350 in Brampton. That's about 40 miles west of the CKDO site. I'm not surprised that CKDO on 1350 made it across the lake. The transmitter site was (is?) on a narrow strip of land between the lake (Ontario) and the 401 Freeway. I used to drive by it regularly on my business trips to Canada.
On the other hand, CKDO was directional aimed north, while the Brampton station is nondirectional. It's a Valcom whip atop the industrial building that houses the studios. I'm impressed it gets out as well as it does.

From the western Detroit, MI suburbs:

Days: Weak 5kw WARF Akron, Ohio. ~120 miles.

Nights: Complete graveyard mash-up.

30 years ago: 1350 KHz was home to WHMI, a local full-service station licensed to Howell, MI. They were an AM/FM combo (FM is 93.5 MHz). WHMI dropped their AM signal on 1350 KHz around 1992, their FM continues on as it always has.

From NW San Antonio:

24x7 it's my DXing nemesis, 5 kW KXTN (formerly KCOR) "Tejano 1350," which is just 3 miles to my southwest.

As I've noted previously, something must've been tweaked with the station's transmitter in the past few years. I used to be able to get a very very tiny partial NW/SE-ish partial null at night, and once back in June 2014 I managed hear a weak WWWL with ID in it. Also, the adjacent channel splatter from KXTN wasn't as bad as it is now. Strangely, I used to get daytime images of KXTN on 1210 and 1490 on some radios, but now I don't get them at all.

A few times when KXTN has been off air, I've logged KCAR (now KHDY) in Clarksville, TX, as well as WWWL again.

From NW San Antonio:

24x7 it's my DXing nemesis, 5 kW KXTN (formerly KCOR) "Tejano 1350," which is just 3 miles to my southwest.

As I've noted previously, something must've been tweaked with the station's transmitter in the past few years. I used to be able to get a very very tiny partial NW/SE-ish partial null at night, and once back in June 2014 I managed hear a weak WWWL with ID in it. Also, the adjacent channel splatter from KXTN wasn't as bad as it is now. Strangely, I used to get daytime images of KXTN on 1210 and 1490 on some radios, but now I don't get them at all.
It's interesting, from my house in Houston, it seems to me that KXTN isn't as strong as they used to be. Nowadays WWWL is on top of the frequency (at night) more often than not.

Central Kansas:
Day-fair reception of KMAN/Manhattan
Night-mostly a mess; have never been able to ID anything clearly, but I’ll be on the lookout. (It’s been some time since I’ve done a nighttime AM scan.)

North Iowa:
Day-fair to weak reception of KRNT/Des Moines.
Night-mostly a mess

WGPL was MoR WAVY for the longest while, then Top 40 'X-135', and WRAP, WBSK and WSVY. I may even have missed a few.
Yes, Steve Green NEPA, you missed an important one that comes with a pretty impressive success story! In the late 70s into the 80s, from studios located in an industrial park, Bob Sinclair/Sinclair Telecable broadcast first country and later a news/talk format on 1350. Knowing that a frequency further to the left of the dial would be better, Sinclair purchased urban WRAP 850, swapped formats and calls, then quickly sold WRAP 1350. (This is what went on to become WBSK, WSVY and now gospel formatted WGPL.)

With a much better signal, and at that point airing The Rush Limbaugh Radio Program, the rest of this radio fairytale pretty much writes itself...

Broadcasting from the fifth floor of the Dominon Tower in downtown Norfolk, overlooking the sparkling waters of the Elizabeth River, Sinclair went on to buy heritage, clear channel frequency 790, long known as WTAR. He once again swapped formats and call letters and placed WNIS and its A-list talk lineup on 790.

In the 1980’s, I worked at 1340 WCMI in Ashland KY. When I would sign off WCMI, then-WSLR would peg the meters at the station all night long!

Central Kentucky:
WLOU Louisville
Two interesting facts about this station:

Their focus has always been on Louisvilles African American community since it's sign on.

It is only one of 2 Louisville AM stations to have never changed its calls throughout it's history.
(The other is WHAS).

Their format is R&B oldies, fun station to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom