• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 1210

From the southwest suburbs of Chicago ...

1210 is dominated at night by WPHT, as was the case when it was WCAU forever, then WOGL, WGMP and WPTS, all forgettable call signs like the current one.

Otherwise, there's nothing during the day, not even WILY Centralia, Ill., heard way back on a night test. The same was true of WKNX Saginaw, Mich. More recent catches are KGYN Guymon, Okla. and WJNL Kingsley, Mich., the latter needing the AN-200 look hugging the ICF-2010 to distinguish from WPHT early on a December 2020 morn.

Mountain View, Hawaii

Daytime - nothing

Nighttime - KZOO Honolulu with sometimes another station in the background that I've not been able to ID.
KZOO...The Cherry Blossom Station (Japanese language).

Clifton, New Jersey

Days/Nights: I receive WPHT "Talk Radio 1210 WPHT" Philadelphia, PA, which airs News/Talk programming. Reception is weak during the day, decent to good at night. I see the HD icon flash shortly before sunset and at night, but I am rarely able to lock in an HD signal.

WY: All KHAT from 1 1/2 miles away.

AK: KGYN and KHAT

Cyberdad: Shouldn't this week's AM frequency be 1200? 1190 was last week's.
1200 would have been an interesting report for me. 1210, not so much:

Hartland, VT, and Meriden, CT: Nothing days, WPHT Philadelphia nights.
Same

40 Miles NW of downtown Chicago

Days: Basically empty. Some spatter from WRTO (1200).

Nights: WPHT with a fair signal. KGYN from Oklahoma occasionally underneath. More commonly. KGYN sometimes take s over at sunrise.

Other Location The battle between WPHT and KGYN is a more common occurrence on the gulf near Pensacola. WPHT typically gets the better of it.

Retro: When WKNX a 10kw daytimer out of East Lansing, was operating on 12110, it would typically make the hop to my location via daytime skywave a few times during winter.

WKNX was never out of east lansing - was out of a town called Frankenmuth , which is near Saginaw and further away from Chicago

From NW San Antonio:

Day: Just slop from 1200 WOAI, although I get an image of 1350 KCOR (just down the road from me) on some of my radios.

Sunset: Newstalk KGYN in Guymon, OK, comes up, and Spanish-language Christian KUBR in San Juan, TX, starts to mix in soon after. A weak WMPS "Sunny 1210" in Bartlett, TN, sometimes pops in for a bit during winter.

Night: There's still a bit of slop from WOAI (more than what I get on 1190). It's not too noticeable, though, with KUBR and KGYN fighting it out; the former is most dominant. Aiming NE, I occasionally hear weak fadeups of WPHT in Philadelphia or WMPS in Bartlett, TN, underneath.

Sunrise: Normally just KUBR and KGYN, with WMPS bubbling up weakly on occasion in the winter. KUBR is usually the last to fade; however, it has been off the air during some mornings recently. One those days I've been able to null out KGYN and hear WMPS with a decent signal.

DX/Retro: I've heard KHAT in Laramie, WY, twice, both times at sunrise. Also, before WLRO in Denham Springs, LA, was retired, I sometimes heard it at night.

WKNX was never out of east lansing - was out of a town called Frankenmuth , which is near Saginaw and further away from Chicago
I'm familiar with Frankenmuth. At least it's in the same general area of Lansing. I associated WKNX with East Lansing since the mid '60s. Perhaps I'm misremembering. Or perhaps they moved their COL, Either way, I stand corrected.

Yakima WA
Day - nothing. In the dead of winter, KRPU Rocklin CA will pop up with Punjabi programming. KMIA Auburn/Seattle doesn't make it here. I don't think they are even on the licensed day power.

Night - Most of the time, a solid KHAT Laramie. Often mixed with CFYM Kindersley SK on 250 watts. Sometimes can find KHKR Washington UT with ESPN, KRPU in major aurora, or KGYN in OK. Rarely, KRSV Afton WY shows up, along with KQEQ Fowler CA.

Never heard - KPRZ San Marcos CA (beamed right into the Pacific day and night), KOKK SD, or WPHT. All three are well-wanted here.

In the Wilkes-Barre(Northeast PA) area, it’s always WPHT day and night.

With my portable SPARC HD radio, sometimes the HD indicator flashes when tuned to this frequency, especially at nights. But like MichaelD1972, I am also rarely able to lock in a HD signal. WPHT during the daytime can sometimes be difficult to hear probably due to power lines surrounding our neighborhood, but was flawless at nights.

When I stayed at a hotel in Somerset, NJ over the summer, WPHT comes in fine during the day with the HD icon flashing. Same thing happens at a beach in Ocean City, NJ(Tried to used a loop antenna near my SPARC radio, but still couldn’t lock in a HD signal). I can, however, receive their HD signal at a parking lot of an Asian supermarket at S 6th and Washington Ave in south Philly.

South Mississippi:

Day: nothing
Sunset:
WMPS Bartlett, TN - Sunny 1210 & 103.1 and
WTXK Pike Road, AL - ESPN The Ticket have occasionally come in.
Night: mostly weak Talk Radio 1210 WPHT,
KUBR San Juan, TX - Radio Christiana and KGYN Guymon, OK - The Five State Big Talker are also frequently heard.

Central Kentucky:

Days: I hear the last breath of something maybe WDAO Dayton, otherwise nothing.

Nights: WPHT Philly. I remember in the 80s/90s them doing oldies as WCAU/WOGL.....

15 miles south of Orlando.

Daytime Splash from 1220 WOTS, Kissimmee, FL.

Nights Usually WPHT, Philadelphia. It is the only AM station which occasionally shows as having an HD signal here. Although I've never been able to lock it in.

Back
Top Bottom