• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency od the Week: 1100...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilmington Delaware

Days - Nothing

Nights - Good signal from WTAM Cleveland. I've spent many summer nights listening to Indians/Guardians games on WTAM.

Days: nothing, not even hash from WXES 1110. At least not the last time I checked.

Nights: The current WTAM Cleveland rules the roost. Heard it first as NBC-owned WKYC. NBC sold to a group headed by sports maven Nick Mileti in 1972, who changed the call to WWWE. Mileti eventually owned the Cavaliers, Indians and WHA Crusaders and put them all on 3WE, his 50 kW blowtorch, plus Pete Franklin's rowdy sports talk show in the evenings. Eventually the station was sold and the new owners picked WTAM as the call, which coincidentally it was originally before the shift to WKYC, then KYW in the RCA-coerced trade of 1060 Philadelphia with Westinghouse (reversed in 1965), then back to WKYC.

Bonus: WCGA Woodbine, Ga., on a 12/23/2022 DX test, running 10 kW day power and pattern.

DFW, Texas

Daytime: Nothing
Nights: Usually WTAM Cleveland in with a decent signal. Sometimes, XETGO Zacatecas will sneak in under or mix with WTAM. A couple of years ago, I heard WCGA Woodbine GA on its DX test.
Sunrise: KDRY San Antonio can be heard going to day power with religious programming.
Sunset: KNZZ Grand Junction CO can be heard with conservative news/talk.

I thought someone on the West Coast would mention this, but KFAX in San Francisco, with transmitter by the Bay in Hayward, pumps out 50 Kws that covers a nice chunk of Northern California and the adjacent Pacific Ocean. All night, all day, all Jesus.
Yes they can be heard well at night in Hawaii

Nutley, NJ
Daytime: Nothing, despite being only 30 miles from WHLI (in it's null) I can get 1240 WGBB under WMTR slop oddly
Nighttime: WTAM Cleveland, OH

Clifton, New Jersey

Days: I get a faint signal of WHLI "104.7 WHLI" Hempstead, NY, but only on my most sensitive radios. WHLI is a daytimer that plays Oldies music.

Nights: I receive WTAM "Newsradio WTAM 1100" Cleveland, OH, which airs News/Talk programming. Reception varies between decent and good.

DX/Retro: In 2022, I received WCGA Woodbine, GA mixing with WTAM during its 5/1 and 12/24 DX Tests.

From NW San Antonio:

Day: 11 kW KDRY in Alamo Heights, an incorporated city insde S.A.

Sunset: Aiming N-NE/S-SW, I can get a small partial null of KDRY in which I hear a weak XETGO "Ke Buena" in Tlaltenango.

Night: Reception in the null gets a little better when KDRY goes to 1kW directional. XETGO is in/out, and occasionally I'll hear a weak WTAM.

Sunrise: XETGO is stronger in the null when it goes to day power. At times when propagation is especially good, I'll hear a weak KFNX in Cave Creek, AZ, under KDRY.

DX/Retro: I've heard KNZZ in Grand Junction, CO, just a few times under KDRY at sunrise and sunset. My one-time loggings include KKLL (country gospel music) in Webb City, MO, and KWWN (ESPN) in Las Vegas, both at sunrise on occasions when KDRY was off air.

Last edited:
Central Kentucky:

Days: Nothing

Nights: WTAM booming in like a local. Remember when they were 3WE (WWWE).
Cavs, Browns and Indians. And some odd talk shows...
Enough splatter to prevent hearing anything on 1090. Largely the reason I've never heard the aforementioned KAAY here....

E. Central Iowa: nothing daytime. Nighttime I almost always hear WTAM. It's very strong and consistent here, and often as loud as a freight train. Second only to KMOX in strength of signal, but not as reliable as KMOX. On rare occasion I've also heard WZFG from Dilworth, MN, but this may have been during critical hours. It's pretty much all WTAM to the exclusion of everybody else broadcasting at night on 1100 (which is not very many other stations anyway).

From Aberfoyle ON:
Nothing during the day. WTAM Cleveland OH dominates at night but swings in and out. WTWN Wells River VT snuck in there for a few minutes during grey zone fading. There are others but not strong enough to be identified.

Charleston, SC: I get WCGA weakly daytime here. Usually with some low-rate talk format in the 2000s, then were off the air for a while. Now they’re back on.

Usually WTAM at night, sometimes mixing with the Mexican.

From Aberfoyle ON:
Nothing during the day. WTAM Cleveland OH dominates at night but swings in and out. WTWN Wells River VT snuck in there for a few minutes during grey zone fading. There are others but not strong enough to be identified.
First time I've seen any of my local stations (from current VT location) pop up in anyone else's loggings. Nice catch!

This just in - at critical hours, in the window between 5:30 pm Denver local sunset and 5:45 pm Western Slope local sunset, KNZZ Grand Junction, "Newsradio 1100", managed to make it in this evening despite spillover from local 1090 KMXA (which really does appear to be reducing power at night now, which it should be doing). KNZZ is nondirectional daytime, with lowered power during critical hours, and a north-south figure-8 pattern at night. So, at 5:45 pm, it disappeared from me in Denver.

Also notable for being the very first all-news station, starting May 16, 1960. The KFAX calls were introduced at that time; the station had been KJBS.
First licensed to the US, yes. Gordon McLendon's XETRA shot a single lobe out of Tijuana towards LA and was the first in English. The very first, in 1948, was all-news Radio Reloj in Cuba, sister station to Goar Mestre's CMQ.

First licensed to the US, yes. Gordon McLendon's XETRA shot a single lobe out of Tijuana towards LA and was the first in English.
Er, no. XETRA placed an ad in the May 22, 1961 issue of Broadcasting in which it claimed a start date of May 6, 1961.

XETRA also claimed to be the first all-news radio station anywhere, but, as mentioned upthread, KFAX went to its all-news format on May 16, 1960.

Also see regarding KFAX: https://www.worldradiohistory.com/h...BC-IDX/60-OCR/BC-1960-05-16-OCR-Page-0098.pdf

In the Wilkes-Barre(Northeast PA) area, daytimes it's usually nothing. However, with my loop antenna pointing towards the south, I can barely get a very faint signal of WGPA from Bethelhem. And sometimes when I am my antenna towards the NE, I can receive a faint signal of WHLI from Long Island, depending on the time of day.

At nights, it's mostly WTAM from Cleveland. I remembered listening to the Cavs games(pre-Lebron James) when they used to air on that station in the 90's and back when it was 3WE.

At one point, sometimes WHLI from Long Island can mix in with the WTAM signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom