• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Allen Media Group lays off 12% of staff

Mark Roberts wrote: Although there's always someone willing to deal...for a price.

And a commission on the sale. I see so many deals that don’t make sense and have to wonder if Wall Street forces some of these deals.

More often, they're only given 36-month contracts before time to move on. I was responding to secondchoice who said:
"IMHO Experience counts in local news gathering. People tend to talk to folks they are familiar with if they know you are honest."

It's just normal human behavior, most people tend to talk more freely with someone they know and trust. Especially if the subject could be interpreted more than one way. It's just my opinion. I didn't present studies or statistics. if you can show me facts or studies that show experience in a local market is a bad thing I will have learned sometime today.

FOX Weather came along and did some fantastic severe weather coverage right out of the gate while The Weather Channel aired canned reruns. Mike Seidel would be an obvious pickup for them if they want to finish the job and seal Byron Allen's fate at TWC.
I refuse to watch anything associated with FOX.
According to FTVLIVE two of FOX Weather's top anchors have been missing on-air for weeks. Cost cutting moves already?

It's a shame what TWC has turned into.

Meanwhile...

Byron Allen says he still wants to make an offer to buy all of Paramount Global. See the video from Bloomberg.

FTVLive says (behind the paywall) that Allen also told Bloomberg, in the same interview, that he can easily get as much capital as he needs to make it happen.

So humour me Byron...how do you plan to raise money to bid on Paramount when you're cutting your local station operations and newsrooms almost to the bone?

The lustre you once had has dulled very quickly.

If Allen Media is having financial problems maybe that explains the programming changes on The Grio and Justice Central. The Grio is now showing classic sitcoms including 227, Good Times, Sanford and Son, The Cosby Show, etc.
...show that can already be seen elsewhere, like BET, TVOne, GetTV, Antenna TV, and elsewhere.

The Grio canceled shows hosted by Marc Lamont Hill and Eboni K. Williams. Roland Martin used his YouTube/streaming show to take a deep dive into that from a Black media perspective.

CBS (former Tiffany) Network has used TWC for their pm national newscast for the severe weather segments several times in the past couple of weeks. The Newsreader always intros them as "our partners at The Weather Channel. TWC has (I my opinion) impressive graphics. Of course with all the movie studios that have moved to the ATL I sure it wasn't too hard to find a graphic / special effects person(s) to do this.

CBS (former Tiffany) Network has used TWC for their pm national newscast for the severe weather segments several times in the past couple of weeks. The Newsreader always intros them as "our partners at The Weather Channel. TWC has (I my opinion) impressive graphics. Of course with all the movie studios that have moved to the ATL I sure it wasn't too hard to find a graphic / special effects person(s) to do this.
You can now do most of what used to be 'million-dollar effects' with a green screen, Streamdeck, and a $60 radar package.

The Weather Channel graphic I hadn't seen before is where the screen appears to "rise out of the floor" in the studio. It looks different from the traditional person in front of the green board that almost a lot of local stations use here.

The Weather Channel graphic I hadn't seen before is where the screen appears to "rise out of the floor" in the studio. It looks different from the traditional person in front of the green board that almost a lot of local stations use here.
They call that Augmented Reality. It comes with the weather package they own from WSI, and IBM company.

They call that Augmented Reality. It comes with the weather package they own from WSI, and IBM company.
IBM sold The Weather Company recently, IBM already left the consumer business since they sold their consumer PC unit to Lenovo. Obiously Watson and weather.com didnt match.

Back
Top Bottom