• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A reason why advertisers don't target 55+ audiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are all great points David. I've also seen data that many 'Boomers' aren't financially ready to retire, let alone buy expensive homes, cars, RV's, or what's considered lifestyle products. These folks shop at Walmart because they need to stretch their dollar. Walmart, Dollar Store, or other discount stores frequented by seniors don't need to advertise on the radio, and even when they do, those are national dollars placed on large groups, not local mom and pop stations.
And, further, many on a tight budget have gone to sales and store brands to save money.

I have a relative who is on a very limited Social Security income and nothing else. Even though we help each month, the idea of buying more expensive brand names is foreign to her. Occasionally we will send some of the things she loves via Amazon and, of course, once delivered, she loves them.

The idea that "everyone" over 60 or so has a big Social Security payment and a nice 401-k or IRA is much exaggerated. Many who are today in their later 60's were let go in the 2008 recession and unable to obtain good jobs until full Social Security kicked in. So they took "early" Social Security, spent savings on health insurance until Medicare kicked in, and are living on less than $1000 a month.

What many forget is that "average income" for those over 65 includes a few that have millions in savings and investments but who raise the average for many who have less than poverty level incomes.

And radio operators know this. They know that there is very little advertising aimed at over-60 people except in a few heavily retirement-populated markets.

I know you're being hyperbolic, but hear what you're saying. When my father was really sick and made one of the several trips with him to the local ER, I got so frustrated when the much younger doctor would say: 'There's only so much we can do for him.' 'After all, he's old'. Well...duh! They are still obliged to provide a certain level of basic care.

And that's why most ad agencies aren't interested in doing big radio buys anymore. Heck, even social media sites like Facebook are considered too old by definition.
Without getting into specifics, I'm sure they provided basic care. Hospice is designed to provide a pain free quality of life, not extend life. Some family members unwittingly torture their loved ones by insisting on feeding tubes instead of accepting the dying process.

Getting back to Radio, many older folks are active and vibrant into their 80's and beyond. They still buy stuff and go out to dinner. Radio has determined that they are not a viable demographic for advertisers. There are a few exceptions with local direct stations...

Without getting into specifics, I'm sure they provided basic care. Hospice is designed to provide a pain free quality of life, not extend life. Some family members unwittingly torture their loved ones by insisting on feeding tubes instead of accepting the dying process.

Getting back to Radio, many older folks are active and vibrant into their 80's and beyond. They still buy stuff and go out to dinner. Radio has determined that they are not a viable demographic for advertisers. There are a few exceptions with local direct stations...
And has been pointed out quite clearly, many older folks are buying essentially only the necessities. They may be active, be that because they need to keep working, or they engage in lower cost options. Boomers and Xers are, in many many cases, squeezed and living the “sandwich generation” nightmare.

One invoice, not hundreds. One contact, one verification or monitoring. Easy to check schedules and lots of other ways in which such a buy is simpler than buying a hundred or two local stations just to cover the top 50 markets at the desired CPM (or equivalent metric) as well as the desired reach and frequency against a good percentage of the target demo.
In many ways, human nature in business and personal lies. Bundle insurance. Bundle TV packages (Disney plus Hulu). Bundle and save money, bundle and save time. Fewer bills.

its appeing to all of us in a world that demands ever-increasing investments of time and energy.

Radio has not given up on the older demographics, the advertiser has. Radio makes its money from advertising. When you choose a format advertisers don't want, you lose money. Do you have the cash to burn to run a format that doesn't pay the bills? Most radio station owners don't either. It seems the famed oldies AM station in Los Angeles was not selling enough advertising to even cover the electric bill. If you want radio to format for the older demos, convince the advertisers to buy the format. If you can change their minds, then we're onboard.

And has been pointed out quite clearly, many older folks are buying essentially only the necessities. They may be active, be that because they need to keep working, or they engage in lower cost options. Boomers and Xers are, in many many cases, squeezed and living the “sandwich generation” nightmare.
Aligning this with radio in particular; a former colleague of mine was one of the rare Boomers who started working at a certain three-letter network Radio as his first job 38 years ago then the same network TV after radio had ended. He recently retired, but unlike the old days of having worked at a union shop for over thirty years, his retirement was forced due to the company buyouts for folks over 55. There were no gold watches or monthly retirement checks, but a one-time buyout of his percentage of salary that was taxed at 45%. He told me that his saving grace was he had no debt and that he'd be mainly dependent on social security until he was dead. There were no 'union pensions' like the old days. Those went away when Boomers were still kids. But this isn't just a radio or TV thing, it's a modern business thing. Nobody is owed a job, certainly not for life. I've told my kids many times; that they need to save and invest for retirement starting the first day they start making money because after they hit 55, the hill gets that much steeper to climb.

Format names vary between the sources. For example, if we look at the different newsletters / radio news boards that are authorized to post the "free" Nielsen numbers, we see that each one has significant differences in the terms used to describe each station's format.

Nielsen keeps a registered format name for each station. But the newsletters use their own terms, not Nielsen's (Nielsen has a very limited number of names a station can pick for its format because they want generalized terms that help advertisers, not "positioning statements" from each station.)

KAHM is what industry-wide is called "Beautiful Music". In the era when such stations were top 5 in about every U.S. market, we knew what that descriptor meant. "Easy listening" is a vague term, which could be instrumentals, soft jazz, light ballads and crooners, etc., etc. It is not a well defined term.

Yes, they are wrong. "Easy listening" is more a positioning statement to convince listeners that a station is not loud and rambunctious! It's a very vague format name, though.

But it will. The station is owned by the Farmworker's Union and they will eventually put their "big format" which is Regional Mexican on the big signal.

Advertisers for the most part know that seniors are hard to sell to, and the cost of the sale is greater than the profit on the sale. Where older listeners are valued is among smaller local retailers and service providers who specifically target seniors, but that money is limited.

The contract to buy the station apparently included some format retention requirements. I have not read the contract, but I believe that the Farmworkers can put Beautiful Music on an HD channel or a translator and then make the big signal Regional Mexican. If not, why would they have bought the station? Their target is working class Mexican or Mexican Americans who are Spanish dominant, not old folks in Prescott.

As someone who has owned a Beautiful Music station (late 60's) programmed several (70's) and syndicated a Beautiful Music format to over 60 stations in Latin America in the later 70's and 80's, I can tell you that KAHM is a rather horrible implementation of the format.
"Easy listening" is a vague term, which could be instrumentals, soft jazz, light ballads and crooners, etc., etc. It is not a well defined term. Quote from eduardo.

DAVE, You obviously haven't listened to or looked at what is played on KAHM for several years, at the very least. While they still
play instrumentals, light ballads and many vocals are a large part of their format. Perhaps the easy listening/beautiful music
formats might still be around had they evolved like KAHM. Their "horrible implementation of the format," as you call it,
has managed to keep them and remain viable and successful to this day. The 102.1 signal may indeed change formats one
day, but that day is NOT TODAY. Nothing is forever......

What many forget is that "average income" for those over 65 includes a few that have millions in savings and investments but who raise the average for many who have less than poverty level incomes.
Which is why the metric should be median income, not average. Half of all people above, half below the median number.

"Radio" has not determined anything. Radio responds to advertiser needs with targeted programming.

Among agency buys of local media, people over 55 are seldom targeted. Advertisers who use the larger agencies have plenty of research telling them that empty nesters spend less and require more ad impressions to make a sale. Advertisers that use smaller agencies or local agencies generally know, demographically, where their clients get their revenue and profits.

There are some local accounts, generally smaller, who find good results in targeting older residents. That generally occurs in markets with huge percentages of more recent arrival retirees or in low-growth or no-growth markets, usually in the "Rust Belt" where outbound migration by young people has left the whole market with an older population.

But, still, most major brands and services avoid targeting 55 and older because that group already has strong brand preferences and there is far less, if any, profit in advertising to them.

play instrumentals, light ballads and many vocals are a large part of their format. Perhaps the easy listening/beautiful music
formats might still be around had they evolved like KAHM. Their "horrible implementation of the format," as you call it,
has managed to keep them and remain viable and successful to this day. The 102.1 signal may indeed change formats one
day, but that day is NOT TODAY. Nothing is forever......
The station is hardly "viable and successful". It is on the air due to restrictions of the sale contract and the steps that the Farmworker's Union is taking to move stations about geographically and technically.

If they could, that frequency would be doing a Spanish language format today if they could. They have no interest, purpose or need to sustain that format any longer than they have to.

The station is hardly "viable and successful". It is on the air due to restrictions of the sale contract and the steps that the Farmworker's Union is taking to move stations about geographically and technically.

If they could, that frequency would be doing a Spanish language format today if they could. They have no interest, purpose or need to sustain that format any longer than they have to.
This kind of reminds me of the "700 Club" wart on the schedule of Freeform (and ABC Family and whatever other names the network has gone by). The network is contractually obligated to carry that show every night in perpetuity, no matter how hard its operators have tried to loosen the chains. Even the death of Pat Robertson failed to sunset the requirement. I assume the Farmworkers Union demanded that a firm sunset date for codger music be written into its deal with KAHM's previous license holder, but for whatever reason, it's not telling anyone what that date is.

Most listeners to KAHM will be "in a better place" within the next five or 10 years, reason enough for advertisers to be negative about the value of pitching new products to them.

SHOCKING..... So the station is losing money each and every month??? HARDLY.
I frequently read, on this site, that radio is a losing proposition and going the way of the dinosaurs.
You can't have it BOTH ways..... If what you say was valid and I assure you it is not, there are two
translator frequencies that also air the fabulous music of KAHM. Why are they not airing mexican
programming???? Don't forget, este es "Los Estados Unidos" and we speak ENGLISH HERE!
Perhaps we would be in a better place, without all the violence, gangs, drugs, etc, etc, etc if we
better controlled our borders.......
This is an ethnic stereotype. But I'll address it by saying that all the Southwest was originally colonized by the Spanish and part of the Viceroyalty of Mexico. Spanish was spoken in Arizona long before English speakers arrived. And, just FYI, the language spoken in my home and with my family here in the USA is Spanish... so you have offended me greatly with your racist remarks. .

Ethnic media goes back to pre-Independence colonial times. Newspapers in German, Dutch, French among others were here more than 250 years ago. The USA has no official language, in fact. Around 80 years ago, we began seeing (or "hearing") stations in Italian and Polish and the like in markets like Chicago, New York, and Cleveland. We got stations in Native American languages in many areas of the U.S. And there was Spanish language radio in the Southwest going back to the later 40's. This is part of our national tradition as a nation that welcomes immigrants!

One of the more FCC-aware participants can post about why the KAHM facility has not yet become the Phoenix rimshot that the Farmworkers Union wants to make it become.

The reason they are not yet airing Spanish language programming is that there is not a large enough market for any Spanish language format just in the very small Prescott market.

Arizona was part of Mexico. It's heritage is based on that, so please avoid the racist remarks or I will recommend you be banned or suspended.

Oh, and I did not say the station is losing money. It is likely, though, that it is not making any. If that were a profitable format, we'd see many stations running similar formats across the US.

Last edited:
Anecdote from my life...I get the "senior discount" at the grocery store...first Wednesday of the month. Want to know the busiest day at that store? First Wednesday of every month. It's only 10 percent, but every little bit helps if you're retired and on a fixed income. One of the cashiers is in her 70s, has a husband in assisted living, and has to keep working because even with Medicare what little "nest egg" they had left is already gone. It's sad. We're headed right back to the Gilded Age in many ways.

This is an ethnic stereotype. But I'll address it by saying that all the Southwest was originally colonized by the Spanish and part of the Viceroyalty of Mexico. Spanish was spoken in Arizona long before English speakers arrived. And, just FYI, the language spoken in my home and with my family here in the USA is Spanish... so you have offended me greatly with your racist remarks. .
So true. I find it ironic that those who are quick to demonize immigrants when likely their heritage makes them products of immigrants. That, and they usually also claim to be Christians, yet are quick to 'dehumanize' immigrants to justify their racist narratives. Here's an interesting paper on how some folks get this way: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273229721000149
Ethnic media goes back to pre-Independence colonial times. Newspapers in German, Dutch, French among others were here more than 250 years ago. The USA has no official language, in fact. Around 80 years ago, we began seeing (or "hearing") stations in Italian and Polish and the like in markets like Chicago, New York, and Cleveland. We got stations in Native American languages in many areas of the U.S. And there was Spanish language radio in the Southwest going back to the later 40's. This is part of our national tradition as a nation that welcomes immigrants!
Totally agree. Radio and TV have a long history of being a lifeline and beacon of hope to a non-English speaking community.

One of the more FCC-aware participants can post about why the KAHM facility has not yet become the Phoenix rimshot that the Farmworkers Union wants to make it become.

The reason they are not yet airing Spanish language programming is that there is not a large enough market for any Spanish language format just in the very small Prescott market.

Arizona was part of Mexico. It's heritage is based on that, so please avoid the racist remarks or I will recommend you be banned or suspended.

Oh, and I did not say the station is losing money. It is likely, though, that it is not making any. If that were a profitable format, we'd see many stations running similar formats across the US.
Gosh, I must have hit a nerve. Racist.... HARDLY. Last time I checked, the U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights and ALL
of America's Founding documents are in ENGLISH. Previous immigrants from Europe learned to speak English in
short order. Now we have people from everywhere, who want to have their own "identity" with little regard for anyone
or anything else, who have no intention of assimilating into American Culture. What's happened to America's Great
Melting Pot???? Radio, Television and printed Media have taken free speech to the extreme. They promote discord,
while sewing the seeds of their beneficiaries whims in an attempt to promote their own agenda. Perhaps we should
now be called, The Divided States of America. For the record, there were many settlers long before the spanish
speakers in the Southwest you mention. Asians, Russians, Native Americans to mention but a few. This may come
as a surprise or shock to some of you but IMMIGRATION is one of the top issues this year. The slanted media will
do whatever it deems necessary to further their own agendas.

Totally agree. Radio and TV have a long history of being a lifeline and beacon of hope to a non-English speaking community.
In fact, the post-WW II explosion in the number of stations as well as the decline in the control of music programming by Patrillo's gang made radio a primary source of information and entertainment for many immigrants.

Because heavy industry could employ people with only basic English knowledge, huge immigrant communities grew in markets like Cleveland, Chicago and Detroit and radio, print and business in "their" language came to serve them,.

Gosh, I must have hit a nerve. Racist.... HARDLY. Last time I checked, the U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights and ALL
of America's Founding documents are in ENGLISH. Previous immigrants from Europe learned to speak English in
short order. Now we have people from everywhere, who want to have their own "identity" with little regard for anyone
or anything else, who have no intention of assimilating into American Culture. What's happened to America's Great
Melting Pot???? Radio, Television and printed Media have taken free speech to the extreme. They promote discord,
while sewing the seeds of their beneficiaries whims in an attempt to promote their own agenda. Perhaps we should
now be called, The Divided States of America. For the record, there were many settlers long before the spanish
speakers in the Southwest you mention. Asians, Russians, Native Americans to mention but a few. This may come
as a surprise or shock to some of you but IMMIGRATION is one of the top issues this year. The slanted media will
do whatever it deems necessary to further their own agendas.
This is the last post like that we'll accept from you. Your attitude is xenophobic and has no place here. And your statements are laden with inaccuracies and untruths.

Going back about 300 years or so, what was to become the United States had zones where the language of the European settlers was French, German, Dutch and, in immense zones, Spanish.

First generation immigrants did not lean English "in short order". The first generation, often with limited formal education, got jobs where only the most basic English was required. Their children leaned the family tongue at home, and English at school and with friends.

My first job in radio included running the board for WJMO in Cleveland on Sunday mornings. We had about 10 hour and half hour shows in everything from Italian to Polish to Hungarian. Most of the participants... and the shows all seemed to have six to eight people... spoke no English. The one or two that did know some English guided me in running the mikes and the recordings.

In Cleveland, we also had two full signal FMs that had nothing but "foreign" language broadcasts all week; one was owned by the son of a Greek immigrant who wanted to help others to adapt to America. All those stations were a lifeline for first generation immigrants, as much of the spoken work content was about getting along in the new country. And the music was part of their culture, which would never change.

Assimilation is very much slower than you seem to think it is. Those who did not know two or more languages from the time they were kids had a hard, hard time learning English when they came to the United States. Just the highly educated who might have gone to bilingual schools where they were born are most of those who seem to "instantly" learn English. My daughters, for example, always spoke Spanish at home but went to schools where half the classes were in English... but they are not of a comparable education level as those who come here to have a better economic future for their family.

Your history is wrong, too. The "great Southwest" was populated by indigenous peoples who had migrated eons before across the land linking Asia with America. But it was conquered and developed and settled by the Spanish and became part of Mexico when that nation became independent over 200 years ago. There are many who live across Texas, AZ, NM and even Southern California whose ancestors were here 400 years ago!

There are many nations where radio reflects the various cultures and languages of its residents. One of my stations in Ecuador had Quechua speaking (traditional spelling) DJs in the early morning hours because much of the rural population did not commonly use Spanish. For decades, Mexico City had several English language stations given the population of ex-pat business people in that city in the 60's and 70's.

Oh, and Puerto Rico, U.S.A. still has a couple of English language stations, although the other 128 are 100% in Spanish. Paris has a Spanish language FM. Canada has many French language stations, and the bigger cities have stations in Chinese and other tongues as well. And so on.

Wherever there are large groups of immigrants or migrants, you'll find media that serves them in their language. And all over America there are stations on or next to Native American lands broadcasting in their language.

Giving new immigrants their language, their music and their culture while they learn "ours" is part of extending the welcome mat to deserving and needed immigrants. It allows them to learn about their new country in understandable dialogues while maintaining their pride in family and heritage.

Oh, and precisely because of all of this the United States does not have one official language. In fact, several states and territories have more than one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom