• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A few questions about Jackson...

kcling

Inactive
Inactive User
A few questions about Jackson radio that popped in my mind this weekend...

When did WJDX move from Jefferson St to Beasley Rd?

Does WZRX handle any part of their programming from the transmitter on Forest Ave or does it all come out of CC on Beasley? (I once worked for the station when it was WYHT, late 80's)

Is any part of WJNT on Lakeland or is it all with WJMI on Pear Orchard Rd? What about WPBQ?

Does WSFZ have all their operations at the Alumni House or just a few shows?

What is WPBQ's programming? I heard talk at one point Friday, then a few hours later there was Hispanic music...

Thanks for the info...

As for WJNT,all studios are at the ICBC offices on Pear Orchard in Ridgeland,along with WJMI,WKXI,WOAD,and WZNO. The sign on Lakeland belongs to the previous owners.

You asked about WJDX moving from Jeff St to Beasley Rd... the 3 tower transmitter site on Beasley Road was there, and JDX was broadcasting from the studio of co-owned WLBT TV on Jefferson St. When WLBT got its license revoked and was turned over to an interim operator, the radio station (AM and FM) did not go with the deal. The radio and TV stations would eventually be separated geographically. When I got to Jackson in 1971 to start up WKXI, the WJDX studio was still in the WLBT bldg. I'd guess that the move to the xmtr site occurred in 1972 or 1973 at the latest. Lamar Life Insurance owned WJDX AM, WJDX FM, and WLBT; Lamar was the hapless licensee that did incredibly stupid things to invite the revocation of a VHF TV license.

A sidebar about the 1590 site on what you call Forest Avenue. Back when it was the home of WWUN, that was called Methodist Orphanage Road. You may see the street referred to by that old name in some historical narratives.

Where is the WPBQ studio? The sign for WPBQ (when it was ESPN) is the same sign that was used for WJNT at one time. Is WPBQ in the old WJNT studio?

For the original poster, the mexican music on WPBQ is just aired in the afternoon. They have been running commercials for local Hispanic businesses. I've been hearing on for a Mexican resturant in Pearl. The stations audio doesn't seem to be as loud as it once was. They have Mancow in the Morning, Dennis Miller and several others in the mornings.

I would lean toward the 1973 date on JDX's move to Beasley Rd. Of course, everyone has sumptuous studios nowadays, but to come from small town Mississippi to JDX in the mid 70's was, to put it mildly, culture shock. It was like working the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. The whole joint reeked of class.

robgrayson said:
I would lean toward the 1973 date on JDX's move to Beasley Rd. Of course, everyone has sumptuous studios nowadays, but to come from small town Mississippi to JDX in the mid 70's was, to put it mildly, culture shock. It was like working the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. The whole joint reeked of class.

Gawd Rob it was more like the whole class reeked of joint.

WKXI on Bailey Ave? Yes ...
WKXI came on the air Aug 1971 from its xmtr site in south Jackson, Terry Road at Elton Road. Around 1975 we felt we were at a disadvantage against WOKJ/WJMI, because their studio, on Lynch St at Valley St, right in the middle of the black area of town, gave them visibility and identity ... something we were missing because we were down in an all-white area of town. We bought an old house at 2662 Bailey Ave Ext, right across from Jackson Mall ... paid $15,000 for it ... moved the studio there about 1975, and broadcast from that site until 1978 when we bought WRBC 1300 ... then moved out to their site on North State.

We had found that members of the community liked to come by the station to bring us PSAs to announce, and to come to the station to pick up prizes they won in a contest. The south Jackson studio put us at a disadvantage ... also, the sales people wasted a lot of time going back and forth to the studio, so we felt we had to locate in proximity to the area where the audience and clients were ...

In regards to WSFZ and the Alumni House, they just announced late last week that were moving to a new studio. Ben Ingram said on his afternoon show that they should have everything moved by the early part of this week. That would be at any moment now.

RadeoEngineer said:
robgrayson said:

THAT reek was specifically in the vicinity of the FM news booth between production and control. I recall walking down the hallway late at night seeing teeny little tell-tale red glowings through the dark blue mood lighting.

flytrap said:
Where is the WPBQ studio? The sign for WPBQ (when it was ESPN) is the same sign that was used for WJNT at one time. Is WPBQ in the old WJNT studio?

For the original poster, the mexican music on WPBQ is just aired in the afternoon. They have been running commercials for local Hispanic businesses. I've been hearing on for a Mexican resturant in Pearl. The stations audio doesn't seem to be as loud as it once was. They have Mancow in the Morning, Dennis Miller and several others in the mornings.

Don't know where the WPBQ studio is, but I do know that it isn't at 1985 Lakeland Drive anymore. It may be operating from the transmitter site in Flowood.

RFB

robgrayson said:
RadeoEngineer said:
robgrayson said:

THAT reek was specifically in the vicinity of the FM news booth between production and control. I recall walking down the hallway late at night seeing teeny little tell-tale red glowings through the dark blue mood lighting.

You'd be suprised what you could find hidden above the ceiling tiles on that side of the hallway. I used to run across some interesting items while running wire in the attic!

RFB

BTW, I tell people I've been in radio so long I remember when you could tell someone "I'm going to FM control", and they knew what room you were headed to. (Nowadays it would be either "Which one?" or "What's a control room?")

The control room, that's where the computer sits all alone, with no humans to disturb it or create anything.

Reminds me of an episode of WKRP in Cincinatti where someone dreamed they visited WKRP in the future. Everyone at the station was gone exept Herb, and his only Job was to keep an eye on a computer that was running the station. scary how that actually came true in real life. Except now, they don't even need anyone to watch the computer. Funny how you hear jocks on the weekends say, "by request" here's so and so. and there are no cars in the parking lot, so you know they are lying, since nobody takes requests anymore and a computer can't take request either unless another computer called and made the request. Do they really think people are that dumb that they can't figure out a station is on auto pilot most of the time? especially when the computers go ape on the weekends?

rfburns said:
robgrayson said:
RadeoEngineer said:
robgrayson said:

You'd be suprised what you could find hidden above the ceiling tiles on that side of the hallway. I used to run across some interesting items while running wire in the attic!

RFB
I don't believe one word of this. I wasn't even there. Even if I was I wasn't. Nobody can prove anything.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom