• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99.5 in Mesa off the air

They went from classic country to a random mix of music these last few months. They started identifying as K-BYE, I guess they changed the call letters recently. Checking their facebook page, they planned the sign-off today.

They say they're signing KBYE off "to build new stations," per their Facebook page.

They say they're signing KBYE off "to build new stations," per their Facebook page.

They got FMs in Colorado (one of them with the KFXY call sign) in the NCE window. That meant they couldn't own an LPFM.

It's not a permanent arrivederci. San Tan Educational Media sold this station to a group called KWSF Radio. Its principal is Danielle Cutler, the morning DJ at KWSS-LP.

With (apparently) just 2 watts of power, both listeners will be pissed. I get using very low power for infills in blackspot neighborhoods for stations that exist at higher power elsewhere, but when it's your main transmitter, it's sort of a "why bother" level of power.

With (apparently) just 2 watts of power, both listeners will be pissed. I get using very low power for infills in blackspot neighborhoods for stations that exist at higher power elsewhere, but when it's your main transmitter, it's sort of a "why bother" level of power.

Because that's what theyre limited to by the government/license class. LPFM's are limited to 100 watts at 100 feet or the equivalent thereof. 99.5 is almost 900 feet up. Hence the 2 watts, building penetration will suck but overall range will be great

It's back on as of today as a simulcast of KWSS. There are new "93.9 and 99.5" liners. (The call sign is now KWSF-LP, to nobody's surprise.) Seems to have started September 1.

Last edited:
The new channel at 99.5 will carry the signal to Mesa, Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale.
With 2 watts on Usery Mountain? They'll barely cover east Mesa and AJ with that. I get them very well at my house, but I'm close to the tower.

Like the big 2 watts ERP on Shaw Butte on 93.9, the big 2 watt ERP 99.5 on Usery, my guess the ERP on both LPFM's, might be a little more than allowed. Especially the 99.5 since KIIM out of Tucson comes in the East Valley some on 99.5. Would take some real power to cover that signal up I am guessing. Just saying.

Great, there's another LPFM success story. The only listeners who would care about you are DX'er's. The good news is: At least they won't trash-up the FM band over a very wide geographic area.

Doesn't simulcasting LPFM programming go against the spirit of the service?

A LPFM is supposed to be a neighborhood station, not a network.

Doesn't simulcasting LPFM programming go against the spirit of the service?

A LPFM is supposed to be a neighborhood station, not a network.
Originally the idea was to serve a local, or lesser-served community. Unfortunately, many LPFM broadcaster's started with that idea, only to find out that not only does it cost a lot more than anticipated to build a station, support from listener donations with such limited coverage is a huge hurdle that is more than likely unattainable in the long run.
Many times churches or other religious organizations will do a time-brokerage agreement with the original licensee. All still legal.

This is great news. KWSS-LP is one of the best radio successes in this town. Those who are so upset with a second frequency should do more to stop alt "mold" on stations like 93.3 and the sea of 80's crap everywhere else. Wake me up when September ends, indeed, so we can get back to Christmas on K-EZ.

KDKB is a poor example. I am glad about KWSS and it is perfectly legal to have a translator for an LPFM. A well done full-power ALT station such as WMVY Martha's Vineyard is a good example and do well here.

This signs on at 5pm pacific today, its owned by the same people who used to run 99.5:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom