• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

970/99.1 all-Christmas

I was in my car at lunch and discovered that WJFN has gone all-Christmas music. It was sports this morning on my way to work. Format change in the offing?

I'll have to check that out. I live outside of Brandon so the signal is good both day and night. I can't pick up the FM anymore since they moved it to Jackson. Has anyone noticed how good the local nightime AM reception has been the last several days? I've been getting WPBQ, WOAD, WJQS and WZRX very good at nightl, which is usually impossible. Good out of town DX as well, which is confusing to me. If out of town stations are coming in stronger, why am I picking up the locals better? It looks like they would be drowned out.

Doctor_Technical said:
Interesting move for a sports station. I notice their website is also under construction, with no mention of Christmas programming.

Is anyone else in Jackson doing all-Christmas?

Q105.1 is all-Christmas and Mix 98.7 is all-Christmas on the weekends. Most of the Christmas songs I heard on WJFN were country. Makes me wonder if perhaps a classic country format will be coming.

Also, Paul Finebaum's show was played this afternoon, so I'm wondering if his show will still be involved in whatever is next on the station.

Heard some Pasty Cline and Johnny Cash christmas music. Sweet. Was the voice guy the same guy that used to be on it when it was country WZQK? (Ken Michaels?) He was on a gospel station in Meridian the last time I heard him. Going back to classic country would be fine by me, since I listened to it when it was real country. We have too many sports stations in Jackson and a lot of the stuff they had on was duplicated on WSFZ. They need to check the audio on 970, Its had too much bass for the last couple of months. Making it very boomy and muddy. The FM is hard to pick up at my location.

I listened for a few minutes today. The voice I heard was definitely Ken Michaels. He had been at WMER in Meridian last time I was in Meridian.

RFB

Yes, I've heard 970 am and 99.1 fm the past couple of days too. What suggestions would you kind knowledgeable radio'ers offer the folks about this all Christmas set up? And if it were to flip from sports, you think that's good or bad...what format would you do?

they could go back to Southern Gospel the way it was when it was WRKN or maybe switch it back to classic country. Hattisburg has classic country and it does well. They might even get a few listeners who live near their little 99 watt pea shooter FM transmitter. I would also get some high school sports. Its silly to me that Brandon High School football was playing over a Jackson radio station when they had a local station less than a mile from the school. That the entire town can pick up. There are a lot of houses going up around Brandon and up on lakeland where the signal is pretty good. It would be a shame not to do something that would work. we have too many all sports stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom