• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

94 WYSP in Philly

P

PassDutch

I'm sorry to say that 94 WYSP is no longer active rock, but as of today, they're a mainstream rocker (just like 93-3 WMMR is), throwing in classic rawk artists such as Tom Petty, Blue Oyster Cult, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eagles, etc. YSP has been mainstream rock since Y100's demise. MMR does lean alternative, because they've thrown in Oasis's "Lyla." I'd expect MMR to become a modern rocker soon.

> I'm sorry to say that 94 WYSP is no longer active rock, but
> as of today, they're a mainstream rocker (just like 93-3
> WMMR is), throwing in classic rawk artists such as Tom
> Petty, Blue Oyster Cult, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd,
> Eagles, etc. YSP has been mainstream rock since Y100's
> demise. MMR does lean alternative, because they've thrown in
> Oasis's "Lyla." I'd expect MMR to become a modern rocker
> soon.
>
O.K. but does WYSP and WMMR still "Rock"! Last year hangin in Philly it was comical the way these two stations tried to out position each other. 93.3 WMMR "ROCKS"! 94 YSP "ROCKS"! Both stations, over and over, again and again. Are both of these outlets still trying to "Out Rock" each other or have things toned down some?

I don't know how one can really distinguish between the two. Last I heard YSP is harder..slightly. And YSP has jocks that sound like they "Rock" more than say Pierre over at WMMR may "Rock".

What a war these two have put on over the years. Whew!

> > I'm sorry to say that 94 WYSP is no longer active rock,
> but
> > as of today, they're a mainstream rocker (just like 93-3
> > WMMR is), throwing in classic rawk artists such as Tom
> > Petty, Blue Oyster Cult, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd,
> > Eagles, etc. YSP has been mainstream rock since Y100's
> > demise. MMR does lean alternative, because they've thrown
> in
> > Oasis's "Lyla." I'd expect MMR to become a modern rocker
> > soon.
> >
> O.K. but does WYSP and WMMR still "Rock"! Last year hangin
> in Philly it was comical the way these two stations tried to
> out position each other. 93.3 WMMR "ROCKS"! 94 YSP "ROCKS"!
> Both stations, over and over, again and again. Are both of
> these outlets still trying to "Out Rock" each other or have
> things toned down some?
>
> I don't know how one can really distinguish between the two.
> Last I heard YSP is harder..slightly. And YSP has jocks that
> sound like they "Rock" more than say Pierre over at WMMR may
> "Rock".
>
> What a war these two have put on over the years. Whew!
>

Overall the personality and imaging of WYSP has been better than WMMR. It used to be the other way around. WYSP has traditionally been a heavier station and WMMR years ago used to be more well rounded. But things have clearly changed. Overall rock radio is in trouble as more people buy satellite. Radio in general is in trouble but rock is getting hot the most.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom