• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

94.7 The REF

Does anyone know how 94.7 the Ref is doing? I feel like KTOK would have been a better option for 94.7! How is 94.7 not cannibalizing 1400 the KREF-AM? From a listener standpoint this station still doesn’t make sense to me. We have like a 11 sports talk stations in the OKC area?

I've said for a while that every highschool in the city could have their football games broadcasted at the same time. Kidding, of course. But there's 94.7, 98.1, rimshot 105.3, 107.7, 640, 1340, 1560. Few translators and not to mention WKY and 1560... Doesn't make sense to me. Why does a metro south of 1.5 million have near double digit sports stations? DFW has 2. TWO.

I've said for a while that every highschool in the city could have their football games broadcasted at the same time. Kidding, of course. But there's 94.7, 98.1, rimshot 105.3, 107.7, 640, 1340, 1560. Few translators and not to mention WKY and 1560... Doesn't make sense to me. Why does a metro south of 1.5 million have near double digit sports stations? DFW has 2. TWO.
Don’t give them any ideas… haha. It doesn’t make sense at all! 94.7 could have been a simulcast of KTOK, and 98.5, and 1340 AM could have been the Ref, or yet again they could have made The Brew a semi simulcast of KMOD which would have worked as well. The KATT should just be all classic rock at this point I honestly think their ratings wouldn’t change at all if they switched to all classic rock. Not only that 94.7, and KATT have the same Saturday morning programming, one plays music, and the other plays a super long commercial break.

>>> How is 94.7 not cannibalizing 1400 the KREF-AM? <<<

The two stations are not co-owned. 1400 AM is owned by the Metro Radio Group, while iHeart owns 94.7 FM. I'm not sure what happened that the AM station's call sign and Fox Sports Radio format were put on 94.7? Was AM 1400 originally owned by iHeart and got spun off?

And wow! KREF-FM has terrible ratings, a fraction of one. Lower than some FM translator stations. It's unusual that OKC has three FM sports stations and four on AM.

WWLS 98.1 FM and KWPN 640 AM simulcast ... ESPN affiliates ... owned by Cumulus ... #10

KRXO-FM 107.7 ... SportsMap affiliate ... owned by Tyler Media ... #15 tie

KREF-FM 94.7 ... Fox Sports affiliate ... owned by iHeartMedia ... #18 tie

KGHM 1340 AM ... All Fox Sports programming ... owned by iHeartMedia ... #23 tie

KREF 1400 AM and 93.3 FM translator ... Fox Sports affiliate ... owned by Metro Radio Group ... #23 tie

KEBC 1560 AM and 103.3 FM translator ... All SportsMap Programming ... owned by Tyler Media ... DNS

And with all these sports stations, nobody carries CBS Sports Radio?

Last edited:
>>> How is 94.7 not cannibalizing 1400 the KREF-AM? <<<

The two stations are not co-owned. 1400 AM is owned by the Metro Radio Group, while iHeart owns 94.7 FM. I'm not sure what happened that the AM station's call sign and Fox Sports Radio format were put on 94.7? Was AM 1400 originally owned by iHeart and got spun off?

And wow! KREF-FM has terrible ratings, a fraction of one. Lower than some FM translator stations. It's unusual that OKC has three FM sports stations and four on AM.

WWLS 98.1 FM and KWPN 640 AM simulcast ... ESPN affiliates ... owned by Cumulus ... #10

KRXO-FM 107.7 ... SportsMap affiliate ... owned by Tyler Media ... #15 tie

KREF-FM 94.7 ... Fox Sports affiliate ... owned by iHeartMedia ... #18 tie

KGHM 1340 AM ... All Fox Sports programming ... owned by iHeartMedia ... #23 tie

KREF 1400 AM and 93.3 FM translator ... Fox Sports affiliate ... owned by Metro Radio Group ... #23 tie

KEBC 1560 AM and 103.3 FM translator ... All SportsMap Programming ... owned by Tyler Media ... DNS

105.3 KINB Kingfisher carries CBS Sports Radio.

No, iHeart never owned KREF 1400. From what I understand, the deal is a partnership. The two air the same local lineups during the day and separate syndicated fare afterhours.

It's kind of unusual, but sports sells. At some point, someone will hit the point of diminishing returns, but sports is easy to sell without numbers. I'm sure iHeart is either picking up some of the cost of the talent on 1400 and 94.7 or is giving a significant chunk of revenue to the AM side for its hosts.

WWLS 98.1 and KWPN 640 only simulcast during afterhours and, possibly, on weekends. WKY 930, on the other hand, is almost a straight simulcast of WWLS. I believe WKY occasionally breaks off for play-by-play, but it's otherwise a complete simulcast.

As Mrbiglott mentions, KINB 105.3 carries a straight network feed of CBS Sports Radio. Rumors are that will be the first of the sports stations to drop, but those rumors have been around for at least a year. So, I'll believe it when I hear it.

I never understood why Perry doesn’t move Heart & Soul to 105.3, and then simulcast Power 103.5 on KRMP 1140 AM. That would then give Power 103.5 better coverage in the city by broadcasting on the KRMP 92.1 translator.

I never understood why Perry doesn’t move Heart & Soul to 105.3, and then simulcast Power 103.5 on KRMP 1140 AM. That would then give Power 103.5 better coverage in the city by broadcasting on the KRMP 92.1 translator.
Some of the issue here is that a lot of the black population is on the city's NE side. 105.3's signal doesn't get out there very well. Neither does 103.5's. Tough either way you look at it.

True, but Power in my opinion would also do somewhat OK on 92.1, especially since Power 103.5 comes in somewhat decent on the south side of the city. Power on 92.1 would hit a broader audience, due to having better signal coverage in the northern OKC area. I could see signal issues with Heart & Soul on 105.3, but Power on 92.1 would give Tyler Media’s V103 some competition. Especially on the northern side of town. If that were to actually happen OKC would be down to 9 sports stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom