• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

880 KJOZ "Where diversity finds its voice"

P

purpledevil

That's right, 880 KJOZ has officially found a new voice as it goes from Spanish Christian to Diverse talk, sports, and more. KJOZ is running national commercials, spots for various shows that will air on the station, and a phone number for the studio.

KJOZ has a STUDIO?? They gave a phone number out ending with KJOZ, but I didn't catch it.

Currently on 880, "The Stephanie Miller Show" which is KJOZ's new mid morning show. Just heard a promo with Barry Warner, apparently he'll be on 880 as well.

Edit to add: It has a website too! http://www.kjozradio.com/

Programming is brought to you by Next Level Communications dba KJOZ radio. It gives you a program schedule and what do you know, KJOZ has a music show in the evenings.

Next Level has a website too. http://www.nextlevelcom.net/ They are out of North Carolina, note the 336 area code.

Obviously a lease has happened, but what does this programming say about the Villarreal brothers? Everything this morning has been focused on gay rights, transgender issues, and such. This is appropriate programming for a Christian Church owned station?

Last edited:
Liberal talk has been tried and flopped miserably. I also wonder about the signal - it isn't very strong which will limit its audience.

Liberal talk has been tried and flopped miserably. I also wonder about the signal - it isn't very strong which will limit its audience.

I don't remember Houston ever having a full-time Progressive/Liberal talk station here in Houston like this. KPFT is the only station I've ever heard discussing these types of topics. As for 880's signal, yeah at night it falls off bad. I can pick it up after dark, but that 1 kilowatt doesn't do much for Houston itself. During the day, 880 covers a lot of land and reaches both B/CS and Houston. This one's a long shot. I wouldn't hold my breath that this lasts more than 6 months. I AM interested to see what kind of music it plays at 5pm. Saturday night it was Yahoo! Sports, last night when I checked, it was a lady delivering a sermon. Only music I've heard so far is the theme song for "The Newlywed Game" this morning, that inexplicably repeated 5 times in a row. That's one odd way to fill empty time on the station...

Their only hope to cover Houston is to add the programming to an FM translator. (106.1 K291CE?)

They wouldn't need to rent a translator Steven. Matter of fact, Daij was recently denied moving one of theirs from Livingston down here to north Houston. I would suspect if they see the financial gain in doing so, they'll certainly try again.

Here's an interesting factoid: Dr. Jesse Dunn, of KCOH fame, is a senior partner in this new format. Very interesting, given the recent legal troubles he found himself in, while managing the transitioning KCOH.

During the day, 880 covers a lot of land and reaches both B/CS and Houston. This one's a long shot. I wouldn't hold my breath that this lasts more than 6 months.

The 880 day signal seems to have improved recently; perhaps DAIJ has done some work on the transmitter or antenna array. Before it had frequently lacked any audio punch and the carrier level seemed low as well.

I wish them well, but I agree this won't last long. Other than sports, it seems that new talk formats aren't generating much interest recently. Remember the failure to launch of "Lovin' Life Radio" a few years back? And, it's AM radio.

They wouldn't need to rent a translator Steven. Matter of fact, Daij was recently denied moving one of theirs from Livingston down here to north Houston. I would suspect if they see the financial gain in doing so, they'll certainly try again.

DAJI was denied because they tried to move an UNBUILT facility....mmmm like K299BN???? HEHE....I bet in 6months they will claim it IS built but NOT and then file to move it...and I will be there to catch them.

Caught another one today...KTDJ lowpower on channel 5!! Was licensed to Dayton on 47...then filed to move to Beaumont...yet the FCC still shows it as a Dayton station (how stupid is that!! The FCC cant keep their own records straight....) then they filed for LD on 5 and the FCC let them KEEP the LP suffix (WHAT???)....today they filed for license to cover on same tower as KAOB....welllllll, I went to check KAOB because folks on AVSForum.com was complaining about its signal and yep, its only doing 800watts instead of 2kW......so sent an email to Dowen (the owner) asking him if he wants me to fix it!.....and fix the aspect ratio on his channels as well ...I tried to by adjusting the encoder...but 27.1 is still squeezed...so the signal from the DVB sat rcvrs is not set right...tomorrow I will have a 7in Haier to monitor locally and get the aspect ratios right!!
and guess who is the consultant on the Low Power (LD or LP??? EEEEKKKK!).....Antonio Cesar Guel and the attorney?? MY FORMER Attorney when I tried to stop 1150 KBPO from being sold to Christian Ministries of the Valley (another lying church group!)..Dan Alpert!!! OH this is gonna be REAL fun!! (took pics of the site and tomorrow Mary Robinson is joining me at the site...its her TV...and she also knows Dowen....and she is the one who signed the declaration on K299BN......she is also the "killer" of KFDM's analog 6 in 2009......while I was in Dallas helping Univision move its 24 back to 23!!! The chief of Univision Dallas and I worked together at Liberman 12 years ago :rolleyes:
AND hopefully I will get closed captioning on ALL 27.x channels as well.....IMAGINE THAT!!

Yep, broadcasting is such an incestuous business!!

Last edited:
The 880 day signal seems to have improved recently; perhaps DAIJ has done some work on the transmitter or antenna array. Before it had frequently lacked any audio punch and the carrier level seemed low as well.

I wish them well, but I agree this won't last long. Other than sports, it seems that new talk formats aren't generating much interest recently. Remember the failure to launch of "Lovin' Life Radio" a few years back? And, it's AM radio.

No array change from what I know....the DX10 that was at KEYH was moved to 880 a number of years ago......Mike Todd of LBI did that...(IIRC it replaced a MW10..UGH!!!)...could be the DX took a lightning shot......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom