• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

88.1 Katy translator goes to Aleluya Network

A

Anonymouse

From AllAccess:
"PAULINO BERNAL EVANGELISM is selling K201EU/KATY, TX to ALELUYA BROADCASTING NETWORK for $70,000."

This leaves Bernal with only two stations left on the air that I'm aware of, KUBR 1210 McAllen and KLMO 98.9 Dilley/San Antonio (LMAed from Carlos Lopez).
KLMO 98.9 is currently experiencing transmitter problems but is still halfway on the air.

Paulino Bernal has been reported as having financial difficulties, so no surprise here. Most of the stations listed in the lengthy TOH ID's are off the air/basket case AMs.

This will essentially give Radio Aleluya a west side booster for KFTG. Initially thought they might shut down K201EU in order to get a power increase or transmitter move for KFTG, but then you have first adjacent KAFR, which probably nixes that idea.

Wonder if Radio Aleluya has the $$$ to purchase KUHA, even at a discount, while selling off both the 88.1 stations?

RadioInsight says they are going to use the translator to rebroadcast KFTG... I don't imagine them using an over the air feed in this case.

RadioInsight says they are going to use the translator to rebroadcast KFTG... I don't imagine them using an over the air feed in this case.

They could. KQUE is easily picked up at the Katy site. Would they? Doubtful, as you duly noted. I've said all along that Radio Aleluya is going to be the dark horse in the race to acquire 91-7. Big feather in the Villarreal brothers cap, AND it'd allow them to part ways with some of the lesser signals not capable of covering the majority of Houston. KFTG itself would be a goner, if KUHA were acquired. Wouldn't be surprised to see the ones in Louise or up in Trinity unloaded as well. They'll need to throw everything they've got at picking up 91-7 to add it to the ministry.

I just wasn't sure since the translator is on 88.1, it would block out the other 88.1 stations wouldn't it?
But it doesn't matter. The translator is allowed to use something else to get it's audio, I think. And I agree about 91.7 being very expensive.

Glad to see this happen. For years and years the 88.1 was a pain in our side when I worked for Aleluya. I know they had reached out to Paulino several times, but he never wanted to sell. Based on what I've seen on this forum, as well as others, it may be true that Paulion's alleged financial difficulties have made this purchase possible. As to whether the Villareals have the funds to buy KUHA, all I can say is that they surprised me several times over the years. Don't count them out!

On Reserved Band xlators, any feed is allowed...even Internet...I dont like it because then its not a xlator but a diect fed LPFM.....but thats the rules...

As to whether the Villareals have the funds to buy KUHA, all I can say is that they surprised me several times over the years. Don't count them out!

I'm curious to see what the final sale price of KUHA will be. I recently saw an estimate that KPFT could fetch $6M as a well positioned Class C1, so I'm guessing KUHA as a Class C2 in a less favorable location might go for $4M. UofH is going to take a major loss on that $9.5M investment five years ago.

Agreed that UofH will take a loss, but $4 million? I have reservations it will go for that cheap. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $6-7 million is what I had suspected.

What about Salem? They passed on KMIC and KULF, but a C2 FM in Houston? Especially with Salem's current and ongoing buying spree? Kind of makes you wonder. My money is still on Radio Aleluya, I really believe the brothers are going to find a way to make it happen.

Agreed that UofH will take a loss, but $4 million? I have reservations it will go for that cheap. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $6-7 million is what I had suspected.

Perhaps David Eduardo could shed some more light on a possible sale price. David, what might a non-comm C2 stick in the NE section of the market be worth?

What about Salem? They passed on KMIC and KULF, but a C2 FM in Houston? Especially with Salem's current and ongoing buying spree?

91.7 is a non-comm frequency, so Salem is not in play here.

Last edited:
That's true. I don't know what I was thinking, just throwing out scenarios I guess. Overlooked that little detail....

I'd indeed be interested in David's response to the potential sales price. I think you're undercutting the value of stick by a couple mil. 50kW, covering an area that is currently going under rapid development and will soon have several tens of thousands of new people living, working, and socializing there? New Caney, and the areas around it, are expanding very quickly. Once the new race/amusement park is complete, that whole area is going to explode in population, even more so than it's currently seeing.

To tell the truth, someone could make a really nice combo along the lines of 106-9/107-5 with 91-7/92-1. It'd just take the right buyer with the vision to do so. Is that Radio Aleluya? Only time will tell.

To tell the truth, someone could make a really nice combo along the lines of 106-9/107-5 with 91-7/92-1. It'd just take the right buyer with the vision to do so. Is that Radio Aleluya? Only time will tell.

Even though 92.1 is probably now worth far less than the $72M Radio One paid for it in 2004, it would still be too expensive for non-comm operators...unless the value has collapsed by over 90%.

Even though 92.1 is probably now worth far less than the $72M Radio One paid for it in 2004, it would still be too expensive for non-comm operators...unless the value has collapsed by over 90%.

So when stations is non-comm a company that buys them can't turn them into comm? Just curious.

Last edited:
I think so.

But if the station is on FM and below 92.1 it must remain non-comm. TMK AM stations can be whatever they want, regardless of dial position.

So when stations is non-comm a company that buys them can't turn them into comm? Just curious.

As long as the facility is on a frequency lower than 92-1, then no they can't. That's called the non-commercial band and all frequencies between 87-9 & 91-9 must remain commercial free. Doesn't mean they can't do what Aleluya and others do. Have station personnel making a "public service announcement" that gives the same advertisement information, only spoken by an employee of the company as opposed to being professionally produced.

Where it gets a bit confusing, is when you have a station like 103-7 or 96-9. Both of them are in the commercial band, both used to be commercial properties, but along the way they were both bought by non-commercial operators and changed to non-comm operation. If either are sold, they can be returned to commercial operations, since they are both in the commercial part of the FM band.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom