• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

867-5309

Just curious to read about any and all horror stories of businesses that have adopted 867-5309 as their phone number, above and beyond all the usual requests to speak to "Jenny." I am guessing that any residences that had that as their home number have long since surrendered said number!

Here in the 615 area code where I live, that number at one time belonged to a used-car dealer in Murfreesboro, TN. I remembered this from a newspaper article about that car dealer. I know that it has since been reassigned, since I saw a TV commercial using the song as a jingle to help you remember the phone number, but I cannot even remember who it was for! So much for adopting the phone number, if one cannot remember the business for whom it belongs! (I just remember that it was NOT the used-car dealer mentioned earlier.)

I also wonder about other songs that had phone numbers in their titles, like "Beechwood 4-5789" or "634-5789."

When AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" became a hit, someone who had the number 362-4368 kept getting calls from people who misunderstood the line "call me anytime... 3-6-2-4-3-6, hey, I lead a life of crime..." and thought that the "hey" was an 8.

And Glenn Miller's "Pennsylvania 6-5000" took its title from the number of NYC's Hotel Pennsylvania.

rnigma said:
I also wonder about other songs that had phone numbers in their titles, like "Beechwood 4-5789" or "634-5789."
There was once an oldies request show (Dick Bartley's, I think?) that had 1(800)634-5789 as their request line. When I was growing up, Obion, TN, was on the old 634 exchange on the old 901 (formerly all of west TN) area code. I often wondered if anyone there had 5789 as a phone number. I am guessing that they did not. Now the exchange there is 536, they are on the 731 (rural west TN) area code, and most folks there probably have cell phones now anyway.

For anyone who remembers those really old phone numbers with words in the exchanges, would "Beechwood4" be the same as "634," or is there any way to determine that?

I think what is worse (re the OP here) would be local residents who had that number....the all-day heckling & such.

I am sure that using the "555" in movies & TV was meant to be a way around any hassles. 555-1212 AFAIK is the only legit 555 number (phone number information, and I am not sure if even THAT works anymore, with the Internet & other ways to get the info).

cd

firepoint525 said:
Just curious to read about any and all horror stories of businesses that have adopted 867-5309 as their phone number, above and beyond all the usual requests to speak to "Jenny."

When living in Southern California in the 80's, I thought I once heard that that phone number was not allowed to be issued to anyone by the phone companies, no matter the area code. But who knows.

Nice song though!! 1982 was a great year, huh?

oldies76 said:
When living in Southern California in the 80's, I thought I once heard that that phone number was not allowed to be issued to anyone by the phone companies, no matter the area code. But who knows.
Part of me thinks that the phone company would assign any available number to anyone who would be willing to pay the phone bill for that number. But then again, part of me agrees with you.

I have AT&T internet, and my account number is my area code+a local (landline) exchange+the four-digit identifier, and an additional serial number. If I were to ever have a landline phone here, the phone company might give me that number. It is NOT 867-5309, because the 867 exchange for the 615 area code belongs to Murfreesboro. But assigning it to someone with DSL internet would be a way to use that number without that user being hassled by it. (I would have suggested maybe using it as a fax line, but even that might hassle the user, and fax machines seem to be going the way of the wind, anyway.)
People magazine supposedly did a story on Tommy Tutone, and gave out THEIR home phone numbers! Not sure how true that story is, though.

oldies76 said:
firepoint525 said:
Just curious to read about any and all horror stories of businesses that have adopted 867-5309 as their phone number, above and beyond all the usual requests to speak to "Jenny."

If you make a lot of noise, you could get that number. Ask for Preferred Number Service. I spent 3 hours with the phone company, in order to get a Brownsville number on my landline in San Antonio. It won't work with Call Notes. That was there Intra-Lata Preferred Number Service, I had to choose a long distance carrier for that line, and all incoming calls to that 956-542 exchange were long distance, I paid around 10-15 cents per minute for those incoming calls. I did the same when I had Southwestern Bell Land line service in Houston. My main line was in the Prescott wire center 713-PRescott 7 (777). My Preferred Number (just like Distinctive Ring) was in the San Antonio Taylor wire center, 210-TAylor2 (822) all calls were remotely forwarded to my 1-713-777-xxxx, and were incoming long distance calls. When Local Number Portability came out, I ported the 713-777-xxxx to Sprint PCS, and the 210-822-xxxx to Vonage. I was one of the first to drop Southwestern Bell aka SBC.

A call to +1 866 8675309 apparently goes out over an analogue trunk at some point, as evidenced by the white noise introduced to the voice path. Kind of like a breath of fresh air in this cold, sterile world of T-carrier trunks.

[size=8pt]Well, I guess you'd probably have to be a fone phreak to really appreciate it....

The WhitePages.com website has an entry for such a number. Looky:

"716-867-5309
AT&T Wireless mobile phone from Buffalo, NY"

Of course AT&T wants $1.99 to "text the name to your mobile phone." Of course we could always call the number's owner and ask for Jenny. I bet he's never heard that one before. :D

PEnnsylvania 6-5000 is still the number of the Hotel Pennsylvania. Until last year Glenn Miller's instrumental was heard after the first ring on their "Push 1, Push 2" automated system. In an effort for better customer service, operators now answer.

1-700 8675309: disconnected
1-800: reorder signal
1-855: The "Jenny Line" (phone sex, obviously)
1-866: Ben Franklin Plumbing (automated system)
1-877: "Please enter your remote access code", 1kHz tone
1-888: The "Jenny Line" again

And I'm not even going to try 1-900.

@LARR--

Whitepages point com is apparently *not* associated with AT&T:
Code:
user@localhost:~$ whois whitepages.com
*snip*
Code:
Registrant:
WhitePages, Inc.
 1301 5th Avenue
 SEATTLE, WA 98101
 US

Domain Name: WHITEPAGES.COM

Administrative Contact:
 WhitePages, Inc.      domreg @whitepages.com
 1301 5th Avenue
 SEATTLE, WA 98101
 US
 206-xxx-xxxx fax: 123 123 1234

Technical Contact:
 Manager, Domain       domreg @whitepages.com
 WhitePages, Inc.
 1301 5th Avenue
 Suite 1600
 Seattle, WA 98101
 US
 206-xxx-xxxx

Record expires on 09-Apr-2016.
 Record created on 08-Apr-1996.
 Database last updated on 20-Feb-2013 22:56:36 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.P03.DYNECT.NET
 NS2.P03.DYNECT.NET
 NS3.P03.DYNECT.NET
 NS4.P03.DYNECT.NET

user@localhost:~$

Darth_vader said:
1-700 8675309: disconnected
1-800: reorder signal
1-855: The "Jenny Line" (phone sex, obviously)
1-866: Ben Franklin Plumbing (automated system)
1-877: "Please enter your remote access code", 1kHz tone
1-888: The "Jenny Line" again

And I'm not even going to try 1-900.

@LARR--

1-700 "the number you dialed is a special services number and cannot be reached through callcentric"

That 1-877 number is either a personal toll free number, PBX, or a calling card number.

"That 1-877 number is either a personal toll free number, PBX, or a calling card number."

I think it's probably a testing/administration trunk on a PBX computer somewhere. When they violently raped and murdered in cold blood cut over from the crossbar system at work a couple years ago, the new system had a testing and administration extension, and it had the same voice prompt (and 1kHz tone after ten-second timeout.)

Haven't played around any with this one, though.

Dallas, TX

(972) 867-5309 - Home Team Mortgage.

I once left them a voice mail message of the song. ;D

R

On a tangent...

Brandmeier did a parody of this tune, singing the old KZZP request line number 260-6404 to the tune.

KZZP hasn't used that number in decades. But if you call 602-260-6404 you will still get the intercept telling you it has been changed to 260-1047.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom