• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

'70s / '80s / '90s Overnight Jocks

Let's create a list of Central PA Overnight jocks from the '70s, '80s and '90s...

Dandelion ~ Z-107

Midnight Rose ~ Country 108

Uncle Igor ~ Starview 92.7 / Solid Rock 92.7 Starview

Hollywood Hayes ~ 98YCR

Captain Connors ~ 98YCR (He moved 7-midnight after The Ugly DJ exited.)

Casey Lee Summers ~ Q-106 / Country 108 (I think she worked overnights @ WGTY, then moved 7-midnight.)

Bill What's-his-name (?) ~ The New Q-106

Amy McLane ~ 101 The Rose

Freddie Isettie - Y-102 (He worked overnights in the '80s.)

Bill "whats-his-name" was Bill Hoge, pronounced "Hodge".

During the 90's, I was overnight on WTPA (Michael Anthony Smith)
So was Randy Rock Johnson, Frank Schofield and Mark Clark.

Dave Thomas did overnights at The River back in those days.

Chris Andree---WKBO (70s)
Bob Hamilton---Country 102/WHYL (80s)(not thee Bob Hamiton)
Glenn Stoner---Country 102 (90s)
"Midnight Steve" Sheridan---FM104/WTPA
Dandelion originally did overnights on WIOV before Z-107

Well alright, I'm kinda surprised this topic received replies. 8) Some of the other folks...

Greg Stucki ~ Oldies 96.1

The Handyman ~ 105.7 The Edge (He moved 7-midnight for 105.7 The X. A few years later, WTPA.)

Lola Lawson (?) ~ KOOL 94.9 (I think she later moved 7-midnight.)

I did time in the late-night trenches too.

John Summers - 910 WSBA - 1985-89

Can't forget my friends who were across the hall:

Rick Sten and John London - WARM 103

I was the first overnight jock in Williamsport in about 1970 on WMPT AM FM
Then in late 1972 on WILQ FM Williamsport.

I went to WLYC/WILQ after the 1972 flood did a real number on WMPT's facilities.

Lola Lawson never did 7 to mid at KOOL. After Bob Rudy, I did 7 to Midnight JP McCartney, then Bobbie Marx, Me again, the Tom Brown, then Artie Shultz.

Off on a bit of a rabbit trail, but WGTY just signed a real-life weekday overnight jock, Brian Maxwell. I didn't think we would see anymore of them around these parts.

http://www.facebook.com/wgty1077

Facebook quote from WGTY:

'We are so proud of the fact that most stations are doing away with local staff and "community" involvement. Heck, some stations sound like an Ipod on repeat. You wonder if anyone is even in the building! We are bringing IN more people to keep "live and local" alive. Thanks York Adams for keeping us at #1, so we have the resources to keep doing what we do!!'

Love these threads on the Central Pa section. Beats the others by a country mile...and I'm learning a lot of history too!

My 'contribution' to the overnight history of the 70's/80's/90's was a couple of months at WSBA. Right at the end of their music reign in late 1993.

I was laid off from WGET in Gettysburg after 5 years. In August of '93, PD Jim Horn offered me midnight to 5 six nights a week on the Mighty 910. With one proviso. The employment would run for precisely 9 weeks. They were phasing out what was left of the music format to go 'News, Sports & Talk'.

Hal Raymond trained me on the board. What a prince of a guy. I've read many posts on here about Hal. Isn't it doubly satisfying when a true great of the business is also a nice fellow? Can't say enough wonderful things about him. At the time, Hal was doing 7 to midnight.

My job was to play music on the overnights and hand it off to a fellow named Ralph Lockwood. This I did. As the weeks rolled by toward the end of the shift, I felt sad. Not so much for me, but for the heritage that was WSBA. The inevitable was here, and music on AM was to become a 'thing of the past' on the station known for it more than any in the lower Susquehanna Valley.

Before the 9 weeks was up, I was down to one night a week on the music. The other nights we ran Limbaugh replays. I would pass time chatting with John London (another quality fellow) over on the FM and reading newspapers and books while waiting for the Rush 'ding' to go to break.

With two weeks to go, I thanked Jim for the opportunity to work with WSBA and told him I'd be moving on. He said, 'No, you can't do that. We have plans for you'. He said the station was interested in bringing me on as an Account Executive. I was referred to a guy by the name of Tom Welker (?) who talked general possibilities but whatever the proposal, it wasn't enough to keep me there. I had committed to another job.

Driving from Hanover to Wrightsville 6 nights a week was a grind...but I took away some nice memories from my overnight cameo at WSBA.

My memory isn't as clear as others, and I've wondered if I was the last guy to do a music show on WSBA. If that is the case, I'm honored. If not, I'm glad to have a hand in a great legacy that was produced so much radio talent over the years.

I worked the overnight shift at WTPA during the late 80's. I remember working out of the trailer in Mechanicsburg until they moved the station into a much better building up the street. I will never forget the time I got to that trailer for my shift and Mike Tyler informed me that someone on a bicycle rode up to the window (which he had open because it was Summer) and told him the song he was playing (Hotel California) was calling them to the station! Thinking back I can remember four morning shows during my five years at WTPA. Torrie and Dina, Brian Christian, The Breakfast Club, and finally Coffee and Jammer!

Gary Jadus on WKBO 1980 and 1981 til replaced by Mutual's Larry King show. :(

I worked weekend overnights at the "new" Q106 back in the late 80's. The biggest recollection of mine was that the front door never locked. Way up on the hill at night with no locked door, a real sense of security, lol.

Dennis

When i worked the overnights at WMPT I had an open door policy for Police and Fore. I kept the coffee pot on and they would drop in to use the bathroom and have a cup of coffee, GREAT protection!

I started in overnights at FM97 in September 1993 before moving up to late nights (10p-3a). Later did overnights at Mix 99.3 in early '94 before moving up to APD/nights (7p-12a).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom