• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

690 AM out of Coffeeville

I am down in Central Alabama and sometimes after sunset in Alabama and sometimes before sunrise, I can hear a station on 690 khz out of Coffeeville, Kansas. Can someone comment on their day/night power and pattern. Sometimes for a while, they come in pretty good here in Montgomery, Alabama.

According to Radio-Locator.com, KGGF AM 690 at Coffeyville, Kansas broadcasts at 10,000 watts daytime and 5,000 watts night. They are directional towards the West in daytime, NW & SW at night. http://www.radio-locator.com/info/KGGF-AM

That's cool that you can get them in Alabama like that especially since they are directional away from you. They are a semi-local daytime here in SW Missouri near Cassville.

KGGF used to be frequently heard around sunset and sunset in the Chicago area. This was back in the days when the band was less crowded and before IBOC was launched. In the great plains area there are a number of stations with big signals that are based in small towns and basically operate as regional outlets. Heavy on farm-oriented programming. KGGF was one of these....and presumably still is.

Your right on KGGF being a big signal farm/news oriented station. The programming has varied over the years. I haven't listened to them in years, but when I was growing up KGGF generally played country music with news/farm programming during weekdays and were MOR/AC on nights and weekends. They switched to Standards in 1989 still with the news and farm approach. Sometime in the 90's they sequed to full-time talk.

jimford1973 said:
Your right on KGGF being a big signal farm/news oriented station. The programming has varied over the years. I haven't listened to them in years, but when I was growing up KGGF generally played country music with news/farm programming during weekdays and were MOR/AC on nights and weekends. They switched to Standards in 1989 still with the news and farm approach. Sometime in the 90's they sequed to full-time talk.

Great old station! The Mighty 690 KGGF...

Always thought it was odd that COFFEYVILLE got the 10k/5k where-as the most powerful AM station in Wichita was KFH 5k/5k or KFDI 10k/1k... Another great one from back in the day was 860 KOAM Pittsburgh a 10k/5k, now KKOW I believe.

Jay Walker

KGGF went on the air in 1930, and during that decade was on 1010, sharing with WNAD in Norman. After NARBA in 1941, KGGF moved to their current 690 home. Under NARBA, they actually had the opportunity to go to 50kw (the treaty provided for such a facility in either Kansas or Oklahoma). They opted to stay with their 1kw signal until after the war when they upgraded to 5kw, and later stepped up the day power to 10kw.

Bill Shadowcat said:
Jay Walker,

KKOW AM 860 still is a great station. They play some good Classic Country! 8)

I used to work for Bob Freeman when he owned KEYN AM/FM in Wichita before he bought KOAM. Bob really knew how to make money in radio and did well with KOAM/KKOW. A smart operator from days gone by..

LKidd said:
KGGF went on the air in 1930, and during that decade was on 1010, sharing with WNAD in Norman. After NARBA in 1941, KGGF moved to their current 690 home. Under NARBA, they actually had the opportunity to go to 50kw (the treaty provided for such a facility in either Kansas or Oklahoma). They opted to stay with their 1kw signal until after the war when they upgraded to 5kw, and later stepped up the day power to 10kw.

I never understood why KFH did not go for high power status back in the day. With a sign-on date in the late 20's I'd have thought they would have moved that direction. Of course during the 30's they were busy protecting their turf in Wichita trying to block the move-in of KFKB/KFBI to Wichita during that time.

There's a lot of great research info on David Eduardo's www.americanradiohistory.com
I was compiling a history of Wichita radio and came across some real gems from the archives of various trades of the period...

Oh! Coffeeville, KS. As a kid growing up in Arkansas with a radio and a burning desire to find every station in the universe, I remember thinking: Kansas must be half a world away from here! And if they were going to decide in Kansas who gets to represent them on the world stage, why would they nominate COFFEEVILLE? It was the ONLY Kansas station I could ever get.

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
Oh! Coffeeville, KS. As a kid growing up in Arkansas with a radio and a burning desire to find every station in the universe, I remember thinking: Kansas must be half a world away from here! And if they were going to decide in Kansas who gets to represent them on the world stage, why would they nominate COFFEEVILLE? It was the ONLY Kansas station I could ever get.

You couldn't get KKOW 860?

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:

As a kid growing up in Kansas I use to listen with wonder to The Mighty 1090 KAAY!!!
Loved that station, then I discovered girls, Foghat, Firesign Theatre and "The Underground Service of LIN Broadcasting - Becker Street on KAAY Little Rock"

Sure miss Clyde Clifford from back in the day, and his Internet Stream in recent years. Still have the beds he used...
Time keeps on slippin' into the future...

There was an attempt in the 60's to get a 50kw AM in south central Kansas. When the did the break-down of 12 of the 1-A clear channels, KAKE in Wichita and the original KWHK in Hutchinson both made applications to move to 1210 with 50,000 watts directional day and night. CBS fought both of them to protect their 1-A WCAU, and ultimately the frequency ended up going to KGYN in Guymon, Oklahoma at 10kw (which today is owned by a Kansas firm).

LKidd said:
There was an attempt in the 60's to get a 50kw AM in south central Kansas. When the did the break-down of 12 of the 1-A clear channels, KAKE in Wichita and the original KWHK in Hutchinson both made applications to move to 1210 with 50,000 watts directional day and night. CBS fought both of them to protect their 1-A WCAU, and ultimately the frequency ended up going to KGYN in Guymon, Oklahoma at 10kw (which today is owned by a Kansas firm).

Outstanding info! That makes since. I also remember when KANS and KAKE swapped frequency. Of course after Martin Umansky (?) got the Channel 10 allocation radio became the red-headed step child. KAKE 1240 was my first radio job back when the Earth's crust had just started to cool...

Speaking of KWHK, all of those local Hutchinson station's (KWHK/KWBW/KSKU and KLOQ Lyons) were cool little flame throwers. As the Hutchinson TV announcer would say "Fred Fabey in Hutchinson"

Bill Shadowcat said:
You couldn't get KKOW 860?

Another one that used to be fairly regular in the Chicago area right around sunset when on day pattern/power....as KOAM.

KKOW's night signal is an easy catch in East Texas. KGYN is an easy catch too, though 1210's night pattern isn't supposed to go east! ???

I spent my teen years in Bartlesville OK in the seventies-early 80's and remember that KGGF had a big radio sales war with B'ville's KWON. Both were running adult contemporary formats at the time.

In the 90's when I worked for KROZ-FM in Tyler TX, DJ's at sister station (now dark) KZEY 690 were told to make sure to lower power .. or they'd get a nice call from KKGF.

Interesting to see some conversation on the Kansas side of things. I live in Coffeyville now. But, back when I lived in Parsons, KS there were some nights I feel the mighty 690 wasn't so "mighty". Though during the day, it's heard in Tulsa, Wichita, Joplin, and even sometimes in Oklahoma City. Cool to hear from somebody in Alabama listening to small-town KGGF!

all of those local Hutchinson station's (KWHK/KWBW/KSKU and KLOQ Lyons) were cool little flame throwers. As the Hutchinson TV announcer would say "Fred Fabey in Hutchinson"
Thanks for mentioning that station, which use to be out of Lyons.
Had an easy listening format, if I recall, in the late 70s when I lived in Great Bend.
Wasn't necessarily my cup of tea, but my dad enjoyed listening to it, so I listened.

Interesting how that station came to my mind the other day, but I couldn't recall the calls. Of course, it's defunct but want to learn more about it.

I am in aramie, Wyoming 610 miles away and can hear KGGF nightly sometimes well sometimes not so much. KKOW makes visits around sunset but not always very well and not very often

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom