• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

680 CJOB on Day Pattern All Night?

cyberdad

Administrator
Staff member
3:30AM CDT/0930GMT This morning CJOB was in at my home location northwest of Chicago. WSCR (670) iboc was turned off, and CJOB was able to break through the splatter alone on 680 with a good signal and minimal fading. Canned Canadian overnight talk show with local breaks and several positive IDs. Radio was the Sangean ATS 505.

I've always been a light sleeper. Usually if I wake up, I fall right back asleep, but if not, it's DX time. So after about 20 minutes of CJOB, I checked other channels in CJOB's "neighborhood". CFRY and CBW were both in with good signals, Neither unusually strong, however. CKDM,CKLQ, and CFAM were all missing, which tells me that conditions were not significantly different than usual.

So I'm assuming CJOB was on 50kw day pattern. I'll try to check CJOB tonight (at a more civilized hour) to see if this morning was a one-off, But if not, especially if you've never snagged CJOB, this could be your chance. I've never before heard CJOB here in the Chicago area, at least not with positive ID, but I know others have. But I also know from my own experience that they have a very impressive day signal. Maybe they'll "forget" to go to the night DA or there's something else going on that creates a DX opportunity.

So go for it, and happy hunting!

3:30AM CDT/0930GMT This morning CJOB was in at my home location northwest of Chicago. WSCR (670) iboc was turned off, and CJOB was able to break through the splatter alone on 680 with a good signal and minimal fading. Canned Canadian overnight talk show with local breaks and several positive IDs. Radio was the Sangean ATS 505.

I've always been a light sleeper. Usually if I wake up, I fall right back asleep, but if not, it's DX time. So after about 20 minutes of CJOB, I checked other channels in CJOB's "neighborhood". CFRY and CBW were both in with good signals, Neither unusually strong, however. CKDM,CKLQ, and CFAM were all missing, which tells me that conditions were not significantly different than usual.

So I'm assuming CJOB was on 50kw day pattern. I'll try to check CJOB tonight (at a more civilized hour) to see if this morning was a one-off, But if not, especially if you've never snagged CJOB, this could be your chance. I've never before heard CJOB here in the Chicago area, at least not with positive ID, but I know others have. But I also know from my own experience that they have a very impressive day signal. Maybe they'll "forget" to go to the night DA or there's something else going on that creates a DX opportunity.

So go for it, and happy hunting!

I think alot of canadian stations fudge it at night.. i have a link where i can look up when a canadian stations power/pattern change is and im pretty sure ive caught some fudging it for sure

I think alot of canadian stations fudge it at night

That's become a pretty well established fact. And as far as I know, nobody....including the CRTC...seems to care much. But the majority, including CJOB, have been playing by the rules. If CJOB has decided to cheat, I'd expect CFTR (50kw Toronto on 680) to be the first to complain.

Finally, there would seemingly be no reason for CJOB to cheat. Their night signal is pristine throughout the entire Winnipeg metro, and good over probably at least 90% Manitoba's population. The nulls mostly involve the sparsely populated rural areas east of the city, as well as south to the U.S. border.

That frequency is occupied by WCNN here.
Now, you know that you can make those meters read anything you want.
A lot of fudging goes on in America too. Particularly at Mom and Pop small market stations where Pop is the GM, CE, SM, janitor, whatever.

I checked 680 last night at 9:30CDT. CJOB was in with a fair signal. Not as strong as previous, but the bottom of the hour break contained three positive IDs and several spots for local Winnipeg businesses.

My guess....just a guess....is that there could be some sort of engineering matter going on. I realize there's "fudging" happening on both sides of the border, but as I said previously, for CJOB to be doing it doesn't make a lot of sense. I've driven by their tx site at least a dozen times, just south of the city and visible from the main highway link to the U.S. Flat, unobstructed, and with fabulous ground conductivity. Add to that their low dial position, and they could probably effectively cover at least just the metro at night with just 1kw ND.

I've heard CJOB on a regular basis since the WSCR IBOC was permanently (we hope) turned off. First heard 10/21/2018 during a WSCR IBOC absence.

I notice there's no day or night pattern for CJOB on the nf8m pattern site.

I've also heard CJOB lately in the Chicago area.

Well, this has been going on at least since I started this conversation nearly six months ago. Just this week I posted about CJOB at night in another thread. CJOB is now an even easier catch here in the Chicago area with the WSCR iboc turned off. Here is the R-L link to what the CJOB's nighttime coverage is supposed to look like.

https://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=CJOB&service=AM&s=F&h=N

I can tell you from my travels that CJOB "normally" is good at night for about 70 miles into northwest Minnesota and ajacent North Dakota (Grand Forks). Ground conductivity in that area is spectacular. Via skywave, CJOB historically has been sometimes doable for me in the Twin Cities at night, but not exactly a regular.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom