• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1190 KVCU Boulder

KVCU is using its backup transmitter after its main transmitter burned toward the end of August. It's currently under an STA for 1 kw, filed in mid-September, instead of its licensed 6.8 kw (5 kw critical hours). Even at reduced power, I think I should be able to receive the station at my east Denver location. But I detect no signs of it, not even on my GE Superadios. Is anyone farther north in the Denver metro, or in the Boulder area, having any luck getting the station? I'm wondering if it's even on the air.

KVCU's website still shows a playlist that's being kept up-to-date and its stream is active.

I am not sure how Colorado funds their stations. My best quess it will require funding in next year's budget then it should be bid out. I don't know if they can buy used equipment but I would be sure you can get parts whatever rig they get. Maybe somebody could donate a transmitter.

The old rule of thumb for AM for daytime coverage (non directional and same antenna) you have to increase power four times to double coverage. They lost more than 4 times power. Look at Radio-locator's coverage then reduce it by at least 50 percent. Also what kind of shape is the spare? Is it really making 1kw? I personally find the radio-locator's coverage kind of "optimistic".

The letter with the STA request indicates that the university is self-insured: "Prior to placing this order [for a new transmitter], I must complete work with the University’s self-insurance adjusters to release funds for the deposit and final payment." So this feels like working through an established process.

Licensed coverage puts me (in the city of Denver) well within the 2 mv/m contour. I estimate that the current coverage for me would be within the 0.5 mv/m contour.

The letter with the STA request indicates that the university is self-insured: "Prior to placing this order [for a new transmitter], I must complete work with the University’s self-insurance adjusters to release funds for the deposit and final payment." So this feels like working through an established process.

Licensed coverage puts me (in the city of Denver) well within the 2 mv/m contour. I estimate that the current coverage for me would be within the 0.5 mv/m contour.
I used to hear this regularl;y all the time in Laramie

Back
Top Bottom