• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1180 KGOL is swingin' today...Sinatra style, and KQUE flips again

P

purpledevil

Scanning by today I found KGOL playing Sinatra. I guess it's going to play them all, as I've heard "Luck Be A Lady", "New York, New York", "Under My Skin", and "You've Got To Have Style" so far. Also, it looks as though Rehan Siddiqui is out of a home again as 1230 KQUE has flipped to Vietnamese brokered. The partnership must have dissolved again, and it makes me question what exactly Mr. Siddiqui is doing to be forced to move all over the dial like this. Hum Tum City has been on the air at no less than 6 different dial settings in the last 2 years. How do you keep a listener base like that?

purpledevil said:
Also, it looks as though Rehan Siddiqui is out of a home again as 1230 KQUE has flipped to Vietnamese brokered.

Are you sure you were listening to KQUE? They are running Hum Tum City as I type this, complete with Rehan Siddiqi doing the promos.

Or is Hum Tum City not full time any more?

I am assuming there must have been some problems yesterday. The Vietnamese brokerage ran throughout the day, however upon checking the station identification at the TOH, it still announced itself as Hum Tum City. Today, the regular programming has returned. Frog, I'm not sure what happened. I was premature in assuming that KQUE had flipped, but found it very odd that Vietnamese programming was playing at 1230. I'll check it periodically to see if it happens again.

purpledevil said:
I am assuming there must have been some problems yesterday. The Vietnamese brokerage ran throughout the day, however upon checking the station identification at the TOH, it still announced itself as Hum Tum City. Today, the regular programming has returned. Frog, I'm not sure what happened. I was premature in assuming that KQUE had flipped, but found it very odd that Vietnamese programming was playing at 1230. I'll check it periodically to see if it happens again.

When I first read your post, I thought perhaps "Little Radio Saigon" which had been running on the now mysteriously silent KYND had moved over to 1230.

Anyone know what is going on at KYND?

Mediafrog+ said:

What do you suppose the chances are of an engineer(s) running some field intensity/signal strength measurements (of other co-channel stations and adjacent frequencies), primarily to the west and southwest, to aid in determining what their new pattern will look like?

I'm not sure I understand. Measurements have already been done and, in fact, some of them were used in the KULF 1090 application. That upgrade (for 1kW directional) was approved June 17th and it's already known that KYND is going to propose a diplexed facility at the newly approved KULF site east of Bellville.

Mediafrog+ said:
purpledevil said:

When I first read your post, I thought perhaps "Little Radio Saigon" which had been running on the now mysteriously silent KYND had moved over to 1230.

You know Frog, I think you may have hit the nail right on the head. The Vietnamese programming was there again yesterday and today, beginning at 11:00am. Not sure what time it reverts back to the normal Hum Tum City programming but it is sometime after 5:00pm, as it was still Vietnamese at a check of 1230 at the 5:00 TOH ID. I've also noticed that in the mornings there is wall to wall Indian music now as opposed to the various shows that KQUE were airing when they were on 24 hours.

JD, I still haven't seen a STA filed for KYND. Aren't they illegal by being off of the air? We are going on a full week and a half with no sign of 1520 on the dial.

As mentioned in another thread KYND has returned to the air with CRI programming, and I have confirmed that Little Saigon Radio is indeed now at 1230 during the afternoon. Good call, Mediafrog. You were right on the money.

I don't personally see a problem with KYND's proposal. KHLT/Halletsville was purchased and taken dark to make way for KYND's upgrade. Protection would have to be afforded to co-channel KOKC/Okla. City and to the adjacents 1510 KAGC/Bryan and KBED/Nederland, but none of this should affect KYND's upgraded coverage of Houston Metro or be cause for dismissal of the proposal by the FCC.

To the poster that says KYND is illegal for being off the air 1 and a half weeks, you are completely wrong. We left the air last Wednesday afternoon at 3:46pm and returned today ar 12:54pm. Please, before making such statements, check them out. I'm in the station each weekday afternoon. I am the GM of KYND.

So, is the CRI programming now a permanent thing? At a check at 7:50pm KYND and KGBC are running the same CRI programming, although 1520 is a couple of seconds ahead of 1540. However, the programming is different from the English shortwave transmission at the same time.

I did hear the CRI broadcast on 1520 refer to "Easy FM" which is an English language domestic service run by CRI and broadcast in major Chinese cities, so it would appear this is the programming stream that is being rebroadcast here in Houston. Much of the news and other programming is shared with the international shortwave service.

CRI has been expanding its reach via local AM and FM stations around the world, following a decade in which it greatly increased its shortwave presence. From what I gather, CRI has been disappointed in the response to the English shortwave output (despite the transmitter increase) and is exploiting other avenues to reach English speaking listeners.

It was originally the former Radio Peking and eventually Radio Beijing. The programming is state-owned by the People's Republic of China adopts the government stance on issues.

bturner said:
To the poster that says KYND is illegal for being off the air 1 and a half weeks, you are completely wrong. We left the air last Wednesday afternoon at 3:46pm and returned today ar 12:54pm. Please, before making such statements, check them out. I'm in the station each weekday afternoon. I am the GM of KYND.

This has been covered in the "AM Notes" thread, but I'll restate myself here as well. I overshot the length of silence for KYND. It was actually off the air 7 days. Now, I never said you were doing anything illegal, I simply questioned if an STA had been filed as I could not locate one while thumbing around the FCC site, and to the best of my knowledge if a station has leave the air like that, it is supposed to file paperwork with the FCC. A couple of good people on this board have taught me a lot about the ins and outs of the business over the years that I have been a member here. Please don't think I was trying to cause you any undue hardship. Unfortunately, I have had to witness the "death" of a station that I grew up with at my grandparent's home in Bellville. When a station such as KYND in Cypress goes dark it worries me, so I start asking questions. I am glad to see KYND back on the air sounding better than ever, and moreso estatic that I can understand the language that is being spoken on the station now. CRI's "Music Safari" was much nicer to listen to yesterday without dealing with the static that is KGBC this far north. Mr. Turner, I'm glad to be one of your new listeners...at least in the afternoon when the music plays.

pd

Thank you Purpledevil.

I know about the lingering slow death of the Bellville AM. I remember it a great hometown station back in the mid 1980s when I was working at KTAW/WTAW in Bryan College Station.

The KYND feed will be upgraded to satellite delivered in a few days, so everything will run smoother.

purpledevil said:
...to the best of my knowledge if a station has leave the air like that, it is supposed to file paperwork with the FCC.

Here's part of the description of the FCC's rules regarding "silent" stations, from the website:

"Pursuant to Section 73.1740 of the Commission's rules, broadcast stations may remain silent for up to 10 days without Commission authority. If the station is or will be silent for up to 30 days, the Commission must be notified (by letter) that the station is silent"

So in this case it wasn't needed. But as many of us know, there are some operators who make no effort to notify the FCC when a station is off the air, even for months at a time.

You are right about that, Bill. I can't even fathom what the Ditterts would think if they knew what had become of their once treasured KACO these days. Every time I go back home it makes me want to spit nails when I see the studio building sitting there and literally falling in on itself.

Oh well....after all this time it apparently only matters to a select few of us anymore.

Thanks, jd. I didn't know it was 10 days before authority was needed. You have taught me something yet again. I have noticed a few glitches on KYND this morning which resulted in switching over to, I assume, the KGBC feed. The audio on KYND sounds quite good, especially when compared to KGBC while in simulcast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom