• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.5 should not have let him go

I was in Edison yesterday listening to New Jersey 101.5 when I saw a road message sign warning me no to go onto I-287 because of what turned out to be the plane crash. Dennis and Judy weren't talking about it. I turned the dial to 101.9 news and I hear Jeff McKay who used to be on 101.5 now on 101.9 talking in great detail and description of how the plane smashed into the highway on one side and exploded through the median and the engine was in the nouthbound lanes and the plane's wing was down the highway. He sounded so much better doing the news than anyone 101.5 had talking about it, and the traffic report didn't give any alternate route so I'm glad I wasn't driving that way. I don't know how he wound up on News 101.9 but they should not have let him go there. He was great doing the traffic at night which now I don't bother listening for asnymore.

D&J did discuss the plane crash somewhat, but there really wasn't much to say so they didn't do a full hour on it. Pete Toriello, who was doing traffic on 101.5 at the time (and is also a Metro/Shadow Traffic Employee) did an admirable job covering it. Except for Jim Gearhart's show (Bob Williams and Jill Myra are in the WKXW studios) and "New Jersey Traffic South" during the evening rush (I'm not sure who Karen Stewart works for), all of the traffic reporters are employees of Metro Traffic.

If you tune to 1010 WINS, you'll find the same traffic reporters as on NJ 101.5 except in the cases I mentioned above. Matt Ward still uses a pseudonym (Tom Rivers) on 101.5 for some reason.

But Jeff McKay is indeed a great, as well as entertaining, traffic reporter. WEMP, as we know, lured good talent from lots of places with what I assume to be a very promising sales-pitch.

Karen Stewart works for metro and so does Christina Stoffo who usually does NJ Traffic South during evening drivetime.

Thanks Zackster for the info. I didn't realize that the traffic reporters were not employees of the radio station. I guess that makes business sense. I'm not too often in northern New jersey so I didn't realize he on another radio station. I didn't realize the "Matt Ward " Tom Rivers" thing another person here stated. Why does he change his name? I would think that would be confusing. Happy New Year to all!

I agree Jeff is a great one. Believe he was on 1010WINS and on 101.5 doing traffic. He's not there anymore and there was another great one on 101.5 late at night. That guy was so good. He was hysterical and hasn't been on. Think his name was Tommy or something but man, I listened to him all the time.

According to Wikipedia, NJ 101.5 once had traffic reporters use names that were Jersey-centric. So Tom Rivers makes reference to the town of Toms River. Apparently (again, according to Wikipedia, as I don't remember this firsthand), Ward is the last remaining traffic reporter from that era.

Jeff McKay jumped over to WEMP-FM (101.9 FM New, later FM News in New York) when that station began to change formats.

I'm wondering if the late-night guy you're referring to could be Bernie Wagenblast?

I remember Tommy G at night. I agree he was one of the best they ever had at 101.5. He was hilarious at night. You could listen to him for hours and be entertained. I heard Steve Trevilese the other night. He's not bad but sounds too much like Deminski and Doyle. Tommy G would be a better fit IMHO if he is available.

I would LOVE to see Casey Bartholomew Get the 7PM-11PM spot that just opened up with the release of Michelle Jersen. That would be the Best move for 101.5

Yes, 101.5 gets all traffic from Total Traffic/Shadow Traffic. The only exception is in the hours of 5:03-9:48 with Bob Williams and Jill Myra who are actually in studio with Gearhart.

Scott E said:
D&J did discuss the plane crash somewhat, but there really wasn't much to say so they didn't do a full hour on it. Pete Toriello, who was doing traffic on 101.5 at the time (and is also a Metro/Shadow Traffic Employee) did an admirable job covering it. Except for Jim Gearhart's show (Bob Williams and Jill Myra are in the WKXW studios) and "New Jersey Traffic South" during the evening rush (I'm not sure who Karen Stewart works for), all of the traffic reporters are employees of Metro Traffic.

If you tune to 1010 WINS, you'll find the same traffic reporters as on NJ 101.5 except in the cases I mentioned above. Matt Ward still uses a pseudonym (Tom Rivers) on 101.5 for some reason.

But Jeff McKay is indeed a great, as well as entertaining, traffic reporter. WEMP, as we know, lured good talent from lots of places with what I assume to be a very promising sales-pitch.

Tom Rivers was the last attempt at the pseudonym where the traffic reporters were given names meant to evoke New Jersey towns, Tom Rivers was for Toms River.

Karen Winters has not been on the station for a while now, as Christina Stoffo has taken her place.

WKXWtay said:
Yes, 101.5 gets all traffic from Total Traffic/Shadow Traffic. The only exception is in the hours of 5:03-9:48 with Bob Williams and Jill Myra who are actually in studio with Gearhart.

Even if/when the announcer is in studio, what they read from the screen in front of them comes from Total/Shadow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom