• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

¿Did XEWA flip?

I know this was approached about a mystery spanish music station on 540 in another thread somewhere, but this morning at 3 am I was listening to the radio, I heard XEW 900 fairly well, with some fading and battling with CHML. They were playing the show "Los Amos Del Camino". I listened for probably half an hour, since I didn't knwo that show still existed in some form. Then I made my way down to 540, and heard a completely different station in spanish for about 15 or so minutes, playing a mix of "grupos", cumbias and pop music. I only got one id, no call letters or anything just "la nueva cinco cuarenta" The signal was fair. ¿Is this XEWA or someone else?

mimo said:
I know this was approached about a mystery spanish music station on 540 in another thread somewhere, but this morning at 3 am I was listening to the radio, I heard XEW 900 fairly well, with some fading and battling with CHML. They were playing the show "Los Amos Del Camino". I listened for probably half an hour, since I didn't knwo that show still existed in some form. Then I made my way down to 540, and heard a completely different station in spanish for about 15 or so minutes, playing a mix of "grupos", cumbias and pop music. I only got one id, no call letters or anything just "la nueva cinco cuarenta" The signal was fair. ¿Is this XEWA or someone else?

The December 2007 to March 2008 edition of Medios Publicitarios Mexicanos I just got yesterday shows XEWA in 100% satellite link with XEW. Other than that, I have not heard anything. Maybe Fred Cantú who appears to check in here has some more current data; he's the real expert on this.

Fred is the most useful source for Mexican radio out there. How he keeps on top of it is absolutely amazing. Hasn't XEWA been a 100% simulcast of XEW for at least 10 years now? That's what has me so puzzled. Since I live in Eastern Canada, any spanish radio station we can hear up this way is largely tropical, due to the demographics of the hispanic community locally and in the American Northeast. Any time I can get something playing music from Mexico is always welcome with me. XEWA isn't such a stretch up here. When I lived in Toronto in the winter of 96-97 I used to get it every night and XEW was also heard over very local CHML. A four hour trip shouldn't make that much of a difference when your dealing with the power of those 2 stations. If "La nueva cinco cuarenta" is a different station, I'd love to know who I'm hearing. It wasn't in last night, and neither was XEW, instead I had CBEF Windsor at 540 (which I normally hear) and CHML at 900.

mimo said:
Fred is the most useful source for Mexican radio out there. How he keeps on top of it is absolutely amazing.

Fred certainly must spend many hours on the site. It is amazingly good, and full of both useful information and fun links. A tip of the hat to Fred, who is one of the few who probably know what the "GBT" in KGBT stand for.

DavidEduardo said:
mimo said:
Fred is the most useful source for Mexican radio out there. How he keeps on top of it is absolutely amazing.

Fred certainly must spend many hours on the site. It is amazingly good, and full of both useful information and fun links. A tip of the hat to Fred, who is one of the few who probably know what the "GBT" in KGBT stand for.
So what does it stand for. All I know is that it is a household name for many of the residents in the Valley.

mimo said:
Fred is the most useful source for Mexican radio out there. How he keeps on top of it is absolutely amazing. Hasn't XEWA been a 100% simulcast of XEW for at least 10 years now? That's what has me so puzzled. Since I live in Eastern Canada, any spanish radio station we can hear up this way is largely tropical, due to the demographics of the hispanic community locally and in the American Northeast. Any time I can get something playing music from Mexico is always welcome with me. XEWA isn't such a stretch up here. When I lived in Toronto in the winter of 96-97 I used to get it every night and XEW was also heard over very local CHML. A four hour trip shouldn't make that much of a difference when your dealing with the power of those 2 stations. If "La nueva cinco cuarenta" is a different station, I'd love to know who I'm hearing. It wasn't in last night, and neither was XEW, instead I had CBEF Windsor at 540 (which I normally hear) and CHML at 900.
It may be a long shot, but could it be that someone forgot to flip the switch at XEWF? Maybe you misheard "La Nueva" with "Ke Buena". It's a very longshot, but maybe.

While on the 540 topic, I always get another spanish station here in College Station TX on 540 at night, it is always under XEWA, so I never hear an I.D. Any idea? It's not a music station like what mimo hears.

oldjohnny said:
So what does it stand for. All I know is that it is a household name for many of the residents in the Valley.

The initials of the wife of Tichenor Media's founder, the first MacHenry Tichenor.. I think it is Grace B Tichenor.

Funny you should mention that. Before they simulcasted AM 900, XEWA used to be "La que buena" from about 94 until the format flip in the late 90's. I think we'll have to wait for Fred Cantú to give us the definitive word.

Yes, I remember. Those liners were great.

There was a group of ladies doing the theme as "La Que BuEenAAAAAAA!"

Remembering that station brings back great memories from way back in the day.

AFAIK-- XEWA still repeats XEW 900. But there can be exceptions.
When Los Reyes Del Camino used to be on XEX it was carried on XEWA with XEW repeated all other hours.

I tuned in this morning (feb 5) and 540 is not nearly as clear a clear channel as it used to be. I did identify XETX La Grande de Paquime from Nuevo Casas Grande, Chih. There also appeared to be another station in there but I couldn't make it out. I've picked up KDFT from the Dallas area before. They used to be brokered ethnic. That could include Spanish.

If someone in Mexico is using La Nueva 540 as a slogan I would go with XEWF in Tlalmanalco outside Mexico City. They only recently ended their simulcast with XEQ-FM Ke buena and are doing their own Ke buena thing. You'll find a link to their audio on my web site.

On another topic-- The GBT in KGBT was Genevieve Beryl Tichenor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom