• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas in Mobile

WTKX 101.5-HD2 has flipped to "Christmas Jazz."

I just beat ABMP to the scoop.

Ha ha sorry, my HD radios are gathering dust. I've been spending most of my time on shortwave lately, although right now conditions are so bad it's pretty useless. This is also Halloween, so I've been on the prowl for HF pirates. Got four logged so far, don't expect to hear any more now that it's getting late.

Accidental find. I presume 101.5-HD2 is (or is virtually tied for) the lowest rated city grade radio station many people could possibly receive in Mobile.

Who at iHeart Mobile-Pensacola has a hard-on for Jazz? 107.3-2, 94.9-2 and now... come on.... Christmas Jazz 101.5-2? WTF?

Ain't that what I've been saying for years now? ;)

Hey, at least it's different, I'll give them that. I'm listening now. I could probably tolerate a month of this over traditional FM Christmas music, but I'm weird.

This is the first time I've done a band scan in a while, and wow things are stale. 96.1's sound quality seemed especially terrible (and as it happens EVERY TIME I TUNE THEM IN, they were playing G'n'R) and the signal was showing zero bars on my little radio. Couldn't get HD at all. 105.7 continues to play the widest mix of music I've heard down here, but with sound quality that rivals a 1960's era AM transistor radio.

With WABF losing their tower, I truly have nothing to listen to beyond Jet… 101.5's pop 80's format was the only other thing I could tolerate.

HD will continue flounder. I'm sure that CC did a complete HD package for all stations. Unless a translator can be strapped to a HD channel... it is a worthless moot point, and nobody cares. HD is around for that very reason. Local market managers probably have the authority to add what they like if a HD channel is available and not use. Me says there is a Jazz fan in the house.

With license fees topping 10K a year for HD. It will never be a reality for small and medium markets. I know one small group that is using it, but once again they have two translators.

The Mobile Pensacola market is in good shape for formats catered to the average listener. With the exception of Classic County (will never sell) Classic Hip Hop (numbers are starting to erode in markets) and Classic Hits (has failed over and over). Sunny does well as a small market station and doesn't have the pressure of numbers or ratings.

A classic R&B station might do well.

The market is over raydeeoed. and Mobile is not translator friendly (from a signal standpoint).

Last edited by a moderator:
TK-HD2 is no longer playing Christmas Jazz... flipped to Alternative?

You keeping track of this ABMP?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom