• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

JJZ on 1480 AM WDAS

Route 222

Regular Participant
Am curious to hear you folks' opinion on what if any impact WDAS ("JJZ 1480") has on anything. It never seems to show up in the ratings. It's a horrible signal and I'm honestly shocked iHeart has stuck with the format for several years on 1480 AM. I guess nothing else to put on there? Maybe to help promote the webstream which I'm sure might get more listeners than the horrible signal. It's a shame because it's actually a GREAT mix of smooth jazz, far better than when it was on 97.5 and 106.1 years ago. Anyone's thoughts?

Am curious to hear you folks' opinion on what if any impact WDAS ("JJZ 1480") has on anything. It never seems to show up in the ratings. It's a horrible signal and I'm honestly shocked iHeart has stuck with the format for several years on 1480 AM. I guess nothing else to put on there? Maybe to help promote the webstream which I'm sure might get more listeners than the horrible signal. It's a shame because it's actually a GREAT mix of smooth jazz, far better than when it was on 97.5 and 106.1 years ago. Anyone's thoughts?

PPM was VERY unkind to Smooth Jazz (The website 538 did a great article on this a while back: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/did-nielsen-kill-the-radio-star/). That being said, if you're iHeart, what else can you put on that signal? Really not much. They've tried variations of gospel, Urban AC and more. There is a translator on 104.1 in Trenton for WISX, but I don't know if A.) It's broadcasting JJZ off of WISX-HD2 or B.) If it's applying to move into Philly.

It sounds good on the HD2 signal I guess 1480 is just an afterthought. It would be nice to put IHearts standards channel on 1480. It's a nice mix of soft oldies,lots of Sinatra and other artists, Yes, I know it would skew quite older,but they would be the only game in town and would be a welcome addition for older listeners. I m sure very few people listen to 1480. It's part of a cluster. Sure would be better than going religious or brokered. Lord knows we are oversaturated with those. Wouldn't it be nice to have a music AM station that a lot of people would discover and enjoy? Just run the Iheart feed. Very little expense.

PPM was VERY unkind to Smooth Jazz (The website 538 did a great article on this a while back: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/did-nielsen-kill-the-radio-star/). That being said, if you're iHeart, what else can you put on that signal? Really not much. They've tried variations of gospel, Urban AC and more. There is a translator on 104.1 in Trenton for WISX, but I don't know if A.) It's broadcasting JJZ off of WISX-HD2 or B.) If it's applying to move into Philly.

PPM just showed the reality of all low cume, high TSL stations. And that was not just smooth jazz.

The diary exaggerated actual listening time due to rounding and the fact listeners did not take into account natural breaks in listening.

While most stations benefited from greatly increased cume due to secondary listening, Smooth Jazz did not. It's a very niche format.

It sounds good on the HD2 signal I guess 1480 is just an afterthought. It would be nice to put IHearts standards channel on 1480. It's a nice mix of soft oldies,lots of Sinatra and other artists, Yes, I know it would skew quite older,but they would be the only game in town and would be a welcome addition for older listeners. I m sure very few people listen to 1480. It's part of a cluster. Sure would be better than going religious or brokered. Lord knows we are oversaturated with those. Wouldn't it be nice to have a music AM station that a lot of people would discover and enjoy? Just run the Iheart feed. Very little expense.

I have been saying it for years put Standards on 1480 and 106.1 HD2 and perhaps grab a translator like the format of the day 97.1, it would do very well. Us older folk would go out of our way to tune it in.

I have been saying it for years put Standards on 1480 and 106.1 HD2 and perhaps grab a translator like the format of the day 97.1, it would do very well. Us older folk would go out of our way to tune it in.

Who would possibly advertise on it?

I would guess the same ones that advertise on those nostalgia digit tv channels like METV, Antenna, Cozi, H&I, Retro, Works, This, Decades, Buzzer and others anyone want to buy My Pillow lol.

I would guess the same ones that advertise on those nostalgia digit tv channels like METV, Antenna, Cozi, H&I, Retro, Works, This, Decades, Buzzer and others anyone want to buy My Pillow lol.

How many of those advertisers are ones that say "Call today with Promo Code RADIO23!"

Those ads generally don't have to pay unless they get a conversion from said promo code that is specific to the station.

So unless people call, the station generally doesn't get much $... so it's not the most financially viable idea.

Those are national buys. There is essentially no money at all for stations appealing to nobody under 65 or 70.

One question, how does WFAT, WLBE and KFXM stay afloat and I am sure there are many more of those around the US. Unless they can survive in very small markets where as they are not feasleable in major markets. I would think they could do better in major markets where more people of all ages reside.

If I owned a station here and my only options were to program Smooth Jazz or Standards, there's no question. I might be able to sell some ads with Jazz but I'd starve to death while trying to sell Standards.

If I owned an AM station here and I had no spoken word format options, I'd probably just try to shut 'er down. lol. Seriously, if anyone's listening to music on the AM band, I highly doubt they're valuable to advertisers!

One question, how does WFAT, WLBE and KFXM stay afloat and I am sure there are many more of those around the US.

KFXM is an LPFM and, like most non-religious LPFM stations they are labors of love with minimal costs. Many are self-financed. None are commercial.

WFAT has had a number of formats over the last decade, and stays alive thanks to being part of a profitable group owner.

WLBE is in a non-rated smaller market of Florida, and has a bankruptcy in its past. It's just one of thousands of AMs that try to at least cover expenses to stay on the air; apparently they could not even afford to buy a translator.

I personally love JJZ 1480, but I am an oddball as it is. I know they'll eventually shut 1480 off for good soon anyway. It's a glorified muzak station from 1990 trying to be louder than the iphone chargers and powerlines that kill its signal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom