• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is A Change Coming To 94.1?

radioman67

Was riding around the metro area today and heard an interesting promo on Star 94-1! There running a radio spot saying "Something You've Never Heard Before Is Coming To 94-1 Thursday At 7:00am". I found it odd that they ended the promo by just saying "94-1" and not "Star 94-1". Is this a red flag that possibly a format change or name change is in the works? Anyone else heard this radio spot on Star 94-1?

Last edited:
Was riding around the metro area today and heard an interesting promo on Star 94-1! There running a radio spot saying "Something You've Never Heard Before Is Coming To 94-1 Thursday At 7:00am". I found it odd that they ended the promo by just saying "94-1" and not "Star 94-1". Is this a red flag that possibly a format change or name change is in the works? Anyone else heard this radio spot on Star 94-1?

Maybe the HD2 format..................

I heard it, also. You're perceptive on the Star thing.

They've been doing well in their target female demos. It's difficult to get near the top of the ratings in this market because Urban is so big. But of course there is a lot of competition among Star, Q100, B98.5 and Power 96-1, and I'm sure Star would like to be beating Q and B. Star has a smart and talented PD, but whether Hot AC has the potential is a question.

We'll find out on Thursday morning. It could be something major, or it could be just a contest.

Maybe the research shows that too many people equate "Star 94" (or "Star 94-1") with their almost-Top 40 leanings...and I can only imagine that Steve and Vikki still come up a lot. Could it be that they might concede the Hot AC crown to B and Q and go into battle straight up against Power with a new name and approach?

Or it could be "Live In It And Win It" part umpteen...?

FWIW, Star 94 is the 4th oldest moniker on the commercial FM band in Atlanta, behind V-103 (1977), Kicks (1981), and B98.5 (1985). It's been around since 1989. It could be a refresh if they try to stay with CHR/Hot AC.

Star 94, and its predecessor 94Q, has always seemed to struggle to find its niche and identity since breaking away from Quixie, playing around with smooth jazz, AC, hot AC, and CHR/M (and a stint with a CHR/AOR "Rock 40" hybrid in the 1970s didn't help matters). When Power 99 flipped to 99X in 1992, Star 94 became the closest thing to a CHR in ATL strictly by default. B98.5, Q100, and Power 96 all have much clearer identities. B98.5 evolved from soft AC to mainstream/hot AC over the years, but that's about it.

Peach 94.9 was still saddled with its BM/EZ heritage long after they flipped to AC, which was one of the reasons CC changed it to "Lite".

Of course, you could also argue that 4 full-power stations chasing after the same bucket of listeners, with music mixes more alike than not, is too many. And The Fish also, ahem, fishes in that same pond.

We'll, they're certainly not going to change formats to go directly against Power 96-1. That would be suicide with both Power and Q100 doing straight-ahead CHR.

A change from the Star moniker is a possibility.

Jabba, in the late 90's Star had huge ratings. And the playlist is the same as many other Hot AC's around the country. I highly doubt they'll stray from Hot AC.

I've also seen that Q100 is doing something big and better as well. Hmm, what could it be?!? Tune in Thursday morning to find out...

I've also seen that Q100 is doing something big and better as well. Hmm, what could it be?!? Tune in Thursday morning to find out...

I've been wondering how this would affect Q100.

Wow that was weak. All of that hype to give away Ed Sheeran tickets all day? It's probably not a great idea to mess with the audience like that, your payoff always has to live up to the hype. Small-market move Ed 94.1.

Wow that was weak. All of that hype to give away Ed Sheeran tickets all day? It's probably not a great idea to mess with the audience like that, your payoff always has to live up to the hype. Small-market move Ed 94.1.

Uttely PATHETIC. Never heard of him, not like he is the Beatles, so so sick of ATL radio...

This forum is all about disagreement, and I have to disagree with you guys.

I doubt the average listener thought about what we were thinking about. They just tuned in to see what they would hear. And Ed Sheeran is super hot right now. (I'm reading this over, and that doesn't sound right. I didn't mean it like that!)

We radio junkies might be disappointed, but I bet Star 94-1...umm Ed 94-1 gets a ratings lift today.

Uttely PATHETIC. Never heard of him, not like he is the Beatles, so so sick of ATL radio...

Well, he's British, has mop-top hair, and the girls love him. Plus he's incredibly talented. In some ways, he IS the Beatles, at least for THIS generation.

Back in the 60s, the biggest station in NYC became W-A-Beatle-C. Nothing small market about it.

Well, he's British, has mop-top hair, and the girls love him. Plus he's incredibly talented. In some ways, he IS the Beatles, at least for THIS generation.

Back in the 60s, the biggest station in NYC became W-A-Beatle-C. Nothing small market about it.

Agree about Sheeran. Very talented performer and songwriter. He could have easily chosen to become a folk singer/songwriter, and maybe that's what he'll be down the road, but his looks and musical adaptability make him a pop star for now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom