• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BIG 105.9 HD signal

transitfan

New Participating Member
What's up with it?!? More often then not, it cuts in and out on the HD radio in my car. Reverts between HD and regular mode. What is annoying about that, is that the non-HD signal comes in louder (dunno if that is a characteristic of my radio, or if it's like that for everyone), so I will experience constant flucuations in volume. Kinda annoying. It's just on BIG, all the other HD stations that I listen to (Variety, Magic, etc.) are pretty consistent. Has anyone else experienced this?

transitfan said:
What's up with it?!? More often then not, it cuts in and out on the HD radio in my car. Reverts between HD and regular mode. What is annoying about that, is that the non-HD signal comes in louder (dunno if that is a characteristic of my radio, or if it's like that for everyone), so I will experience constant flucuations in volume. Kinda annoying. It's just on BIG, all the other HD stations that I listen to (Variety, Magic, etc.) are pretty consistent. Has anyone else experienced this?

All FM HD sub-channels which include HD 2 and HD 3 operate at 4% of the main channel's authorized power. WBGG 105.9's main analog channel (105.9 HD1) operates with 100kw. Four percent of 100kw is 4kw or 4,000 watts which is what the WBGG HD 2 channels operate with. And, unlike analog transmission which fades as the signal becomes weaker, digital signals suddenly "cut off" once the signal range is too weak for the radio receiver to receive the signal. This may explain why your HD 2 signal appears weak and not there at all at times while the 100kw main channel is loud and clear. Depending on your distance from the transmitter site, you are comparing a 100kw main signal verses a 4kw signal side band channel.

Thanks for the explanation. It seemed to be out entirely this morning (I was listening between 6:25 AM and 7:25 AM), which is OK, as I don't need the HD-2 (I already have WIOD as one of my AM pre-sets), but at least the volume was more consistent (though the flucuation is less noticeable in the AM, when the Paul and Young Ron show is on, and there is little, if any music playing).

jmtillery said:
All FM HD sub-channels which include HD 2 and HD 3 operate at 4% of the main channel's authorized power.
Where can I find the percentage of HD power for specific stations and whether the LSB and USB are the same?

ai4i said:
jmtillery said:
All FM HD sub-channels which include HD 2 and HD 3 operate at 4% of the main channel's authorized power.
Where can I find the percentage of HD power for specific stations and whether the LSB and USB are the same?

You can find the main HD 1 ERP power specified in the station license from the FCC website. Once you have the main ERP, simply do the math calculation (4% of the main channel's ERP) and you will have the HD 2 sub-channel ERP.

I'd like to know what they are using these days for a transmitter. Back when RKO put the transmitter at the Candelabra tower they had the antenna on one of sticks at the very top with fewer bays and more TPO. The transmitter was an RCA 40KW unit (dual 20KW with a combiner). It normally put 33KW into the antenna. The idea was having an antenna with fewer bays cut down on multi path. That was the theory but I don't know if it works out in practice. I have no idea what they are using now.

Do they still have the auxiliary transmitter site on top of the old Landmark Bank Building (not sure what the building is called today).

jmtillery said:
ai4i said:
jmtillery said:

You can find the main HD 1 ERP power specified in the station license from the FCC website. Once you have the main ERP, simply do the math calculation (4% of the main channel's ERP) and you will have the HD 2 sub-channel ERP.

All due respect, Dr. Tillery, but this is not accurate.

The power level at which an FM station runs its digital carriers has nothing to do with whether it's carrying multiple streams of audio on those carriers.

The official standard for digital power was and is -20 dBC (decibels below carrier), which translates to 1% of analog power (not of "HD-1 power," as you stated; while an HD-1 is, by definition, a simulcast of the analog signal, it's effectively a completely separate transmission path; depending on the design of a transmission system, it's entirely possible for the HD carriers to be on without any analog signal.)

For WBGG-FM, which runs 100 kW of analog power, that means 1 kW of average digital power. Those digital carriers provide 96 kbps of data throughput, and whether that's used entirely for a 96 kbps HD-1 stream or for 64 kbps HD-1/32 kbps HD-2, or a 48/48 split, it doesn't have any direct relationship to the power level at which it's transmitted. (Nor does the addition of an extra group of digital carriers for "extended mode" operation, which allows for the use of HD-3/HD-4.)

As stations discovered that -20 dBC (1%) wasn't enough to provide solid coverage, they petitioned the FCC to be allowed to increase digital power. Most stations can now request (and automatically be granted) Special Temporary Authority to go up to -14 dBC, or 4% of analog power, and with a demonstration that they won't cause impermissible interference, stations can go all the way to -10 dBc, or 10% of analog power, also under STA. Again, this has nothing to do with how many audio streams are being carried over those digital carriers.

Increasing digital power can be an expensive proposition, though, often requiring new transmitters, combiners and/or antennas to replace digital systems that were only a few years old and far from being amortized. Relatively few stations have found the investment to be cost-effective.

I do not see any STA applications in WBGG-FM's file that would suggest that the station is operating at more than -20 dBc, or 1 kW digital ERP. (To answer ai4i's question, you have to look at the station's "Application List," accessible through the FCC's own FM Query or FCCinfo.com, to find any STAs that may have been applied for/granted to cover increased digital power and/or asymmetric sideband power; and to answer Mike Sheridan's question, Clear Channel surrendered the license for the old bank building aux site a couple of years ago.)

Wow, [that was] a perfectly worded answer to address all three of us...Thanks.

Scott Fybush said:
All due respect, Dr. Tillery, but this is not accurate.

As stations discovered that -20 dBC (1%) wasn't enough to provide solid coverage, they petitioned the FCC to be allowed to increase digital power. Most stations can now request (and automatically be granted) Special Temporary Authority to go up to -14 dBC, or 4% of analog power,

I stand corrected. The bold type above which you had stated is what I was referring with regards to 4% of analog power which was explained to me by a technical consultant. As for me, I am not an engineer so I go by what my technical consultants explain to me. Perhaps, I misunderstood the exact details. Thank you for the clarification.

I don't see any changes, or foresee any. It sounds exactly like it did before. The McDonalds of radio. Replaced one out of town PD with another, replace one out of town voice track personality with another one. Same songs, same liners. Same cookie cuttering from Doc Reno with his all purpose generic breaks that can be played on any station or any day part. His overnight on Big are so out of place. Its way to high energy and no appropriate for overnights. So, this article interview with the new out of town PD doesn't say anything to me.

Tuned into Big 105.9 and didn't hear Mud. Went to Big 105.9 site and his page is gone. Searched All Access and discovered he was let go as part of a restructuring since April 18th. You can read about it on All Access HERE and HERE. Top 40 WHYI (Y100) PD ALEX TEAR takes over Big.

First Patti Moreno at the Beach 102.7, now Mud at Big 105.9.

I don't see any changes, or foresee any. It sounds exactly like it did before. The McDonalds of radio. Replaced one out of town PD with another, replace one out of town voice track personality with another one. Same songs, same liners. Same cookie cuttering from Doc Reno with his all purpose generic breaks that can be played on any station or any day part. His overnight on Big are so out of place. Its way to high energy and no appropriate for overnights. So, this article interview with the new out of town PD doesn't say anything to me.

So . . . what is up with Big 105.9 these days. I really thought, come January 1st, I'd see an all new website and Facebook page reflecting their change from "Classic Rock" to "Classic Hits." I do see that Dave Hill finally took over as PD from Micheal "Mud" Gross and interterm PD Grace Blazer, who is the PD for Sport WINZ and Talker WOID -- when Ken Charles left.

Did they stop or are they still playing all that one hit wonder 80s non sense from Modern English and Eurythmics and The Outfield? I think I have heard "American Pie" from Don McClean more in two months via Big than I have in the past 10 years. And hearing ID's stating Big is "Classic Rock" then plays Stevie Wonders' "Superstitious," just very , very odd. Now that Hill is in, has Big readjusted back to being "Classic Rock" and ended there "Classic Hits" expeiment? Per their Facebook page, the listeners hated the format tweaks. They do not like Eurythmics , that's for darn sure. I haven't / stopped tuning in . . . anyone been listening with intel?

I was listening tonight, they went from Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' into Men At Work's 'Who Can It Be Now?' I'm no PD but it seems a little odd to go from 90s grunge to 80s pop in one song. Maybe on Jack FM? The website still calls it 'South Florida's Classic Rock' but it doesn't really seem like it anymore. Not sure what they're up to...

I was listening tonight, they went from Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' into Men At Work's 'Who Can It Be Now?' I'm no PD but it seems a little odd to go from 90s grunge to 80s pop in one song. Maybe on Jack FM? The website still calls it 'South Florida's Classic Rock' but it doesn't really seem like it anymore. Not sure what they're up to...

It seems that they are trending in more of a Classic Hits direction, but haven't really committed to the move yet.

At least there is still South Florida Rock online with Sonny Fox, Corey James, Randy Thomas and more local DJ's like Gnarly Charlie and "The Boomer" on She Radio.

She Radio ®
www.SheRadio.net

I would LOVE a Jack FM here....of course I'm a minority but still.........

I would LOVE a Jack FM here....of course I'm a minority but still.........

I've listened to the Jack FM station on the Treasure Coast and it's not bad. I wasn't able to listen long enough to find out how repetitive it is (or isn't) but I did manage to get through 20 minutes without hearing Bohemian Rhapsody which is rather encouraging. Would it work in this market? Well, if Entercom was willing to take a chance on alternative with The Shark then why not give it a try? Couldn't do worse. Just do something about Voltair, which brings me to my next point: I listened to Big again tonight and thought the woofers on my stereo had blown out. 'Take Me Home Tonight' was playing and virtually all of the bass had been stripped from the song. It sounded terrible, as does much of everything else on that station because they have Voltair turned up to 11 in order to gain more PPM impressions, which has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. Big did move up from a 3.3 to a 3.8 in the 6+ numbers (I know, it doesn't tell the entire story of how the station is doing) so maybe they've found the right mix of classic hits, classic rock, and listeners who don't mind hearing music that has the acoustic quality of a men's room.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom