• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

February 2017 Boston Radio Ratings.

They've got a Lowe's advertisement and one for Jackson-Hewitt as well. I would be willing to bet more B87 followers are real than the other stations to be honest. But can we shift the attention back to WJMN and what they're going to do with their program/format. When you compare Jamn today to Jamn of the early 2000s its remarkable how much they've declined.

All of these HD streams are run by licensed broadcasters. Still unanswered is my original question: How does a pirate get the account, unless maybe they're recording the ads from somewhere else and running them for nothing just to make the station sound legit?

I remember a progressive rock pirate on AM from Waltham that sometimes did that to "sound legit" back in the late '60s/early '70s, but the horrible fidelity and heterodyne tones from their converted WWII shortwave transmitter were the giveaway.

Takes about three seconds to prove you are incorrect. www.twitteraudit.com

19,666 Real
3,552 Fake

Audit Score 85% real.

19,000? And that is supposed to be impressive?

The top three or four Boston music FMs each reach in excess of 1.2 million different listeners each week. Put that in perspective against 19 thousand. BFD.

19,000? And that is supposed to be impressive?

The top three or four Boston music FMs each reach in excess of 1.2 million different listeners each week. Put that in perspective against 19 thousand. BFD.

No I'm saying when compared to hot 969 and 945 their Twitter following is of a similar size. Hot 969s twitter following is less than 13000 (unconfirmed) accounts ...they have far more listeners than that (about 600k). Certainly you have to extrapolate that 19,000? No?

Certainly you have to extrapolate that 19,000? No?

No. It is irrelevant and has no correlation. Much depends on whether a station's twitter account is promoted on-air and via their other social media activities. If they don't tweet often and don't deliver interesting content, they won't get a large number of followers.

They hold to the belief that a Mainstream Urban wouldnt work in Boston. This station has been in this format since I was born in 1994. The region has changed soo much demographically. I think 977 will rove that you can operate a profitable Urban station in 2017 EMass, maybe it didnt work 15 years ago in the early 2000s...but the fact that Jamin has but 280 months of experience to WKAF's 2 and WKAF is within .5 Arbitrons of Jamn is INSANE.

They are Too removed from Boston to understand idiosyncracies of our demographics and regional music tastes. Most Hispanics in Eastern Mass identify with blacks to a great extent. ESPECIALLY IN THE YOUNGER GENERATION. A mainstream Urban like they have in NYC or Philly would go over very well here. You cant have an Urban show like Breakfast Club and then play golden hip hop hits from 2010. No one likes the music they l, no one.

Im a young and Urban, most people I know in my circle LOVE the Breakfast Club and think its the best part of Jamn. But the people who actually listen to JAMN are driving their kids to school dont like t because its too crass and not local and homer-ish enough for them. The Breakfast Club keeps you plugged into the hip hop culture nationwide and is an honor to have in Boston.

They need to clean house only keep most of the Jamn Mixers keep Money Mav and Pup Dawg, bring in the top local voices we hear on pirate B87.7 which has an ENORMOUS following in Boston proper. Switch to a New Fresh Hip HOp station an call it a day.

Personally I love WKAF but the morning show lacks. My mom is their target demographic. 50 year old Black woman living on the South Shore near Brockton..she likes the weekend personalities. She complained to me about how KJ and Kesha are "SOOO BORING" she said "they dont know black culture" she even said they "sound scared." Granted they may not be the most typically black sounding Urban AC hosts I think we must concede that this IS still Boston I think KJ and Keshas biggest problem is that they are not Boston locals and are till trying to acclimate themselves to our very unique black culture here. They should have tapped more local people or gone with a Steve Harvey Morning Show. Music and finish is immaculate though

1. Have you ever even seen the inside of a radio station?
2. Harvey is on in Boston on AM 1410 WZBR.
3. WKAF is targeted at adults, numbstick. Your mom is indeed the target demo.
4. No pirate has an "enormous" audience.

How would a pirate get a national account like Geico for an advertiser? I remember The Touch airing local ads back in the day, but never anything like the Geico spots that are heard so often on licensed broadcasters and even on network feeds.

If you think Geico's or any other national advertiser's agency buys a pirate you need serious help. No ratings, no buy. I bet you $10 the spots were part of some kind of syndicated barter service. Another radio wannabe who fancies himself an expert.

Last edited:
If you think Geico's or any other national advertiser's agency buys a pirate you need serious help. No ratings, no buy. I bet you $10 the spots were part of some kind of syndicated barter service. Another radio wannabe who fancies himself an expert.

Or they simply were recorded of the Internet or another station and are played just to sound like a "real" radio station.

How would a pirate get a national account like Geico for an advertiser? I remember The Touch airing local ads back in the day, but never anything like the Geico spots that are heard so often on licensed broadcasters and even on network feeds.

I asked, so it should be clear I don't consider myself an expert. My username ought to be a hint, too. My involvement with radio has been strictly as a fan, except for some unofficial, behind-the-scenes work at my college station.

He's just asking a question. Settle down big boy.

(Not everyone can be a pro in NH Radio....)

;-)

1. Have you ever even seen the inside of a radio station?
2. Harvey is on in Boston on AM 1410 WZBR.
3. WKAF is targeted at adults, numbstick. Your mom is indeed the target demo.
4. No pirate has an "enormous" audience.

1. I don't know who the f**k you think your talking to. You're talking reckless because we're on an online forum.

1.5. I actually DJed for my college radio station, and have been inside Hot 96.9 as well as pirate Touch 106.1.
2. That's cool I didn't know that.
3. Reread my comment. Thats exactly what I said, numbstick.
4. Everything is RELATIVE. For a pirate it has an enormous following, furthermore you don't know how big their following is...none of us do.

1. I don't know who the f**k you think your talking to. You're talking reckless because we're on an online forum.

1.5. I actually DJed for my college radio station, and have been inside Hot 96.9 as well as pirate Touch 106.1.
2. That's cool I didn't know that.
3. Reread my comment. Thats exactly what I said, numbstick.
4. Everything is RELATIVE. For a pirate it has an enormous following, furthermore you don't know how big their following is...none of us do.

You got a hostile response because your original post came across as arrogant and know-it-all in tone and was filled with bad grammar and usage If you post that way, don't expect good cheer and kindness in response.

and once again a thread on the Boston board has turned into a pissing match.

Rapking Junior perhaps?

most people who post in here have been in REAL radio in one form or another for longer than we care to admit.
it is nice you played college radio, it was a stepping stone for many of us who worked professionally. When you have a First Phone on your resume, come back and let us know, hell I'd even settle for an element 9 endorsement.

if you don't know what the P1 is for any station in the market, you don't know what radio is about. here is the correct answer to that question, radio is about selling advertising, your P1 is what you sell to the agencies and clients. What you program on your station is the content that keeps that P1 listening until the next stop set. If the sounds of 2 whales humping will keep your P1 tuned in, then that is what you program.

Pirates should be shot, their equipment burned to the water line, their ill gotten gains seized, and the FCC should be able to show up with an armed contingent to accomplish that mission. Hopefully once the deportations get into full swing, the pirates and their listeners will be sent back to their third world hell holes and then the local "community broadcasters" will get the attention they deserve.

most people who post in here have been in REAL radio in one form or another for longer than we care to admit.

Online radio message boards have been (from day one) filled with BOTH radio professionals and radio listeners, hobbyists and enthusiasts.

There has always been tensions between the pros who understand radio as a business and a career....and listeners who simply know what they like.

Quite often we see the Pro's responding in a condescending manner to listeners who post with a "You just don't know what you are talking about" response.

Listeners who post here are welcome to post about radio they feel passionately about.

And the Pro's have to accept that, and not expect listeners to understand spot rates, TSL, budgets, etc.

Listeners only know what they like and feel passionately about....and that's fine. That's their role in these discussions.

You got a hostile response because your original post came across as arrogant and know-it-all in tone and was filled with bad grammar and usage If you post that way, don't expect good cheer and kindness in response.

Look, I have things to do. I don't have time to ingratiate myself to all the old guys know It alls on this board. Also, my grammar and usage is not of a concern to me seeing as informal is an informal online forum filled with anonymous anf ultimately insignificant commentators-myself included . You all have sooo much experience but we're the same people who said there'd never be an Urban AC in Boston because of 'demographics' back when I used to frequent this board in 2013. If y'all are the big guns then toughen up, or-dare I say-expand your horizons. Im not trying to compare resumes on here. I simply had an opinionated posts that posed a few questions and theories some people on this board don't like. I didn't come after anyone personally and I struggle to see where it was a hostile comment to anyone other than iHeartMedia. Y'all attitudes are the reason people person like Lauro/RapKing no longer comment. That's them- that's fine, I was removed from the 87.7 discussion and had tried to shift to a discussion based on Jamn 945. NH had a condescending tone and I'm not really here for that. Just looking for people who like to discuss radio. I won't go back and rehash my logical arguments on 3 of the 4 talking points he had.

Look, I have things to do. I don't have time to ingratiate myself to all the old guys know It alls on this board. Also, my grammar and usage is not of a concern to me seeing as informal is an informal online forum filled with anonymous anf ultimately insignificant commentators-myself included . You all have sooo much experience but we're the same people who said there'd never be an Urban AC in Boston because of 'demographics' back when I used to frequent this board in 2013. If y'all are the big guns then toughen up, or-dare I say-expand your horizons. Im not trying to compare resumes on here. I simply had an opinionated posts that posed a few questions and theories some people on this board don't like. I didn't come after anyone personally and I struggle to see where it was a hostile comment to anyone other than iHeartMedia. Y'all attitudes are the reason people person like Lauro/RapKing no longer comment. That's them- that's fine, I was removed from the 87.7 discussion and had tried to shift to a discussion based on Jamn 945. NH had a condescending tone and I'm not really here for that. Just looking for people who like to discuss radio. I won't go back and rehash my logical arguments on 3 of the 4 talking points he had.

For starters, you took my comment, which was clearly intended as a suggestion on how to develop an interesting dialogue, to be a dis. Not so. Read it again.

Proper writing makes your points more clear. Using incomplete words, like "an" instead of "and", employing unconventional meanings and not putting thoughts into complete sentences, divided into concise paragraphs focuses the reader on your mistakes, not on your ideas. To be taken seriously, you should be considering the old slogan of McCann-Erickson: "The truth well told". And your tone could be a little more diplomatic. Hostility breeds fights, not dialogues.

While some doubted that a full urban format would make it in Boston, that was some time ago. Not only do demographics change, albeit slowly, but current music comes in waves. With R&B, the music broadens to non-Black audiences at some times, and retracts at others depending on trends in music and what the big hits are.

From my perspective, Jam'n is simply off by about 60% from its peaks in 2011-2012. As what is technically a Rhythmic CHR or Churban station, it depends on Blacks, Hispanics and Non-Hispanic Whites to form a coalition. Obviously, it lost that. For today's audience, there are several points to analyze and those are whether it is too urban, not urban enough or whether other stations have successfully preempted its appeal.

Obviously, one issue that has not been raised is whether a whole segment of the audience has simply moved to streaming because the local offerings are either not a good match or are on bad signals. That's the case with Hispanic listeners; 11% of the market is Hispanic and less than 2 shares generally come from Spanish language formats because the signals are ratty translators and AMs that most Hispanics despise. So they listen to Pandora and other streamers, not radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom