• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oldies K-Surf Debuts on KKGO-FM 105.1 HD2

I'm guessing there is no doubt you'd contribute to a local station that played your choice of music. I suppose the question is whether a broadcaster would think enough of you live within a coverage area to make it work. It seems XM are such are better options as they target a larger audience than a single station might.

Well let's see. Beethoven's fifth symphony was first played in 1808. If a person was 16 then, they would be 225 years old today. What would be the upside of playing Beethoven's fifth?

For decades classical music was part of music programs in schools. Most of those programs are gone or significantly changed in the name of diversity and a desire to expose music forms that were created by people who were not just European in heritage.

The decline in the exposure of classical music on the radio parallels this change in the exposure of youth to the traditional composers of classical music... and even in the support of symphony orchestras.

Anecdotally, WGMS in DC was about the highest rated US commercial classical station. Yet, even in its peak years in the 70's, at least 96% of the market was not listening. Very limited exposure 40 years ago, meaning even less interest today... and mostly by septuagenarians and older.

. As another example, how many teenagers are there today who are discovering their parents' Beatles collections and becoming Beatles fans themselves, even though the fact remains that if you were sixteen years old in 1964 you would be *gasp* 69 years old today? I bet the answer is A LOT.

Teens today whose parents were Beatles fans have parents who are around 60 to 70 years old. The fact is... and this explains why so little Beatles music is played these days... that anyone playing Beatles music for teens is playing it for their grandchildren. Sure, there are exceptions but they are few.

Oh, by the way, when I was a teenager both "Sussudio" and "We Built This City" were number one songs. I don't need to hear either one ever again. A lot of people in my generation are with me on this.

The fact is, still, that exposure during the musical taste formative years of early adolescence is what guides a person's future musical interests. Some people remain in a tight niche, others expand.

Last edited:
I'm 68,a teen in the 60's and I have playlists of music on Spotify from the 20s and 30s through the Big Band era through the 50s through the 70s along with New Age and Jazz,Broadway,Classic Country and more. I was a fan of Sinatra,Como,Dean Martin and all the Standards when I was a kid. I have been an on air personality at current based station s from 1972 to 2009 and I've heard and played it all.After the mid 80s my love for current music waned and there are very few songs I ever
want to hear again. Never could get into rap,hip hop,grundge,hard rock and later alternative. To my ears 1990 onwards with some exceptions is a big blur. If all I had to rely on was Commercial radio for my music,I probably wouldn't listen. Very happy there is XM and the vast numbers of Internet stations,some great,some awful and a lot in between that satisfy my musical needs.

Your post shows how hard it is to generalize about music tastes.

I am from the same generation, but have a coupla' years more life experience. I detest Sinatra and cringe when I hear most big band and crooner-style music. Doris Day makes me queasy and even movies with songs from the era repulse me (with the possible exception of "Singing in the Rain").

I have about 2,000 songs on my iPhone. The ones I frequently play are almost all from the last decade to decade and a half, and many of those are currents. I can't got to YouTube without, at least once, watching Enrique Iglesias' "Bailando" (over two billion views) at least once. Now that is engaging, great pop music! And over the last few years, I have had a number of songs like that and which I want to hear often for several years... "Bad Romance" and "International Love" and "See You Again" and a number of others. And that's without including my real faves from J Balvin and Don Omar and Carlos Vives and Shakira!

If all I had to listen to was what advertisers pay to advertise on, my world would be a much lesser place indeed.

Like you, I have multiple Sirius subscriptions as well as ones to Prime Music and Spotify. Most of the time I listen to current and recent based contemporary and contemporary country genres (as well as Spanish language CHR and Vallenato). I have the subscriptions because I live in a smaller market and the local stations have high commercial loads and are not particularly fun to listen to.

Similar situation, totally different motivation. I think the risk which this points out is in not understanding that tastes are not monolithic and have not been for many, many decades. We have to keep in mind that even when Top 40 stations were getting 20 and 30 shares, there were 70%, 80% of the people who were not listening to that music but who preferred r&b, country, and other kinds of music.

Your post shows how hard it is to generalize about music tastes.

I am from the same generation, but have a coupla' years more life experience. I detest Sinatra and cringe when I hear most big band and crooner-style music. Doris Day makes me queasy and even movies with songs from the era repulse me (with the possible exception of "Singing in the Rain").
Why do you have multiple Sirius XM accounts? How can you detest Sinatra or cringe at Doris Day. I found music like this Cuban Music to be the most revolting, sickening, stomach churning vile sound to ever come out of someone's mouth, yet I never voiced my opinion until today as it was sacred and I was getting paid big bucks to listen to it. I'm surprised David considering who you are and what you stand for?

Vile Florida Cuban Cowboy Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrIf7xJFzhU

Why do you have multiple Sirius XM accounts?

One per vehicle.

How can you detest Sinatra or cringe at Doris Day.

I just don't like it. It has so little appeal that it causes about the same annoyance as nails scratching on a blackboard does.

But I said that to show that individuals have different tastes, even if from the same era or generation.

I found music like this Cuban Music to be the most revolting, sickening, stomach churning vile sound to ever come out of someone's mouth, yet I never voiced my opinion until today as it was sacred and I was getting paid big bucks to listen to it. I'm surprised David considering who you are and what you stand for?

Vile Florida Cuban Cowboy Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrIf7xJFzhU

That clip is Cuban folk music, not "cowboy music". Much folk music, from anywhere in the world, is not meaningful to most anyone not part of the culture.

In this case, they style is that of the story song used to describe events and even the latest news long before radio and TV. In that way, it is similar to the Olde English ballads that related oral tradition by putting it to music.

The clip is just an example of a mediocre performance and a bad recording.

Everybody's favorite music is drek to someone else. I'm just trying to point out that musical tastes can't be generalized.

If all I had to listen to was what advertisers pay to advertise on, my world would be a much lesser place indeed.

That's your prerogative. Radio stations are not in the music or music delivery business. It's a nice conversation to have, but not really useful in this context here.

One per vehicle.

I just don't like it. It has so little appeal that it causes about the same annoyance as nails scratching on a blackboard does.

But I said that to show that individuals have different tastes, even if from the same era or generation.

That clip is Cuban folk music, not "cowboy music". Much folk music, from anywhere in the world, is not meaningful to most anyone not part of the culture.

In this case, they style is that of the story song used to describe events and even the latest news long before radio and TV. In that way, it is similar to the Olde English ballads that related oral tradition by putting it to music.

The clip is just an example of a mediocre performance and a bad recording.

Everybody's favorite music is drek to someone else. I'm just trying to point out that musical tastes can't be generalized.

As you know David I spent 6.5 years broadcasting to Cuba and on the morning show Tempranito, this bunch of folk performers would perform daily. If you think that video was bad, the songs sung in studio at 5AM would actually make my head rattle almost becoming dizzy. In fact I was warned about this group on my first day there. I just can't understand how you could single out Sinatra as a you are/were a Radio executive, and a darn good one at that. Plus I had never heard someone pick on Doris Day as well of all people but hey, Que Sara Sara

As you know David I spent 6.5 years broadcasting to Cuba and on the morning show Tempranito, this bunch of folk performers would perform daily. If you think that video was bad, the songs sung in studio at 5AM would actually make my head rattle almost becoming dizzy. In fact I was warned about this group on my first day there. I just can't understand how you could single out Sinatra as a you are/were a Radio executive, and a darn good one at that. Plus I had never heard someone pick on Doris Day as well of all people but hey, Que Sara Sara

I can't believe David still has SiriusXM in two cars considering the hatchet job they did on Spanish-language programming, especially music. But then, maybe SXM satisfies some of his more esoteric tastes.

I did not, in fact, know you were part of the Tempranito y de Mañana show. Having been a consultant for Martí on several occasions going back to its first few years on the air, I understand some of the programming issues that contained a large amount of traditionalist thinking and a big spoonful of Jorge Mas Canosa-type thinking.

In Puerto Rico, there are some analogous musical forms including the "décima" which is a form of story song and the "controversia" which is generally two singers answering each other's verses in a musical combat. No metro area station... even the government one... has run that kind of music for many many decades. It's appeal is not just rural; it is of interest only to people in the most senior age groups. Most of the better... and there were some good ones... singers are long gone and the music only lives in some recordings.

I can't see whey Martí would consider that music to be appealing to anyone in today's Cuba. That music is older than a La Habana taxi.

When speaking of Sinatra and his contemporaries, I was speaking of my own personal tastes. As the saying goes, "para los gustos se hicieron los colores" (To accommodate taste, colors were created). I know that many loved Sinatra and friends, but I was not among them and, in fact, the music is so unappealing to me that I cringe when I hear it. Similarly, I am a big fan of Vallenato music, having even been in attendance at the first annual festival of that genre back in the late 60's. But I know that to most ears it is very unappealing and is just noise played on a screechy stomach organ. Taste. Different strokes. To each his (or her) own. Whatever!

Last edited:
I can't believe David still has SiriusXM in two cars considering the hatchet job they did on Spanish-language programming, especially music. But then, maybe SXM satisfies some of his more esoteric tastes.

I never listened to the XM Spanish language channels after I stopped being in charge of programming them more than a dozen years ago. They have generally lacked focus and have played way too many stiffs in rather non-homogeneous formats.

I listen to the contemporary country channel, the 90's and 80's country gold channel, the 80's channel, the CHR channel and the BBC channel today with occasional sampling of a couple of others (Classical, for example) and some of the limited time channels, the latest one I liked being the Pitbull channel. My favorite has to be the BBC offering.

I have about 2,000 songs on my iPhone. The ones I frequently play are almost all from the last decade to decade and a half, and many of those are currents. I can't got to YouTube without, at least once, watching Enrique Iglesias' "Bailando" (over two billion views) at least once. Now that is engaging, great pop music! And over the last few years, I have had a number of songs like that and which I want to hear often for several years... "Bad Romance" and "International Love" and "See You Again" and a number of others. And that's without including my real faves from J Balvin and Don Omar and Carlos Vives and Shakira

You are a rare exception. Many people your age despise newer songs and enjoy the older music they grew up with. That's usually the way it is. I guess we're both outliers in a sense. "Bailamos" is an excellent song, btw!

David, out of curiosity I just listened to Ballamos and loved it! I rarely listen to cHR because the sound of rap,hiphop and Katy Perry type music,for lack of a better term is so unappealing to me,much like Sinatra and the 50s pop music does the same for you.If more songs were as good as that I would listen more often. I remember the first time I played Rappers Delight I had a feeling pop music was changing and I didn't like the direction it was going. As you said..different strokes for different folks!

OK David thumbs up!! I'm always in the market to hear 'DIFFERENT'; Just watched the Bailando video (both languages) and I have added it to my Spotify playlist!! Gracias!

OK David thumbs up!! I'm always in the market to hear 'DIFFERENT'; Just watched the Bailando video (both languages) and I have added it to my Spotify playlist!! Gracias!

I was the 227,495,877th view of the English version. Props to Enrique for producing something that is so obviously popular and entertaining, but um..., it didn't connect with me. Song is similar to a lot of other stuff out there, particularly in the "Spanglish" genre (just my impression, I am sure fans of the genre would say otherwise): vocal is ok, track is overly repetitive, and is overly produced. His voice is good enough on its own, it doesn't need enhancement. I'm guessing the success is all about the video. Now that lady in red....

That said, I like new things too and am glad to have checked it out, if for no other reason than to stay current. Not everything is going to connect nor would I want it too. I gave David a hard time for that idiotic rapper he mentioned last month, but in the same post he mentioned Ed Sheeran, and I did like a few of the things I heard from him. Thanks David.

I was the 227,495,877th view of the English version. Props to Enrique for producing something that is so obviously popular and entertaining, but um..., it didn't connect with me. Song is similar to a lot of other stuff out there, particularly in the "Spanglish" genre (just my impression, I am sure fans of the genre would say otherwise): vocal is ok, track is overly repetitive, and is overly produced. His voice is good enough on its own, it doesn't need enhancement. I'm guessing the success is all about the video. Now that lady in red....

The video was filmed in Cuba (at least the Spanish one was) and features Cuban group Gente de Zona as well as Descemer Bueno. Gente de Zona has a bunch of big hits on their own, and Jacob Forever, one of the two Gente de Zona singers, also has hits as a soloist.

Bailando now has the record for being the longest-ever song on the Billboard Latin chart... over 3 years in the top 10. I've never seen anything like it... the song crosses the tropical borders, the pop borders and even the reggaeton borders. We keep testing it, and folks say it's still a favorite. And how often should we play it? "Once an hour would be good...."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom