• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why was 1010 WINS rated #1 in US' all news radio market?

News24/7

New Participating Member
I found that, 1010 WINS is No.1 all-news station in the USA. I want to hear your opinion about it. My own is, 1010 WINS is all news 24/7. They don't broadcast any sports, CBS shows and others. Just news, weather and traffic updates for New Yorkers.

I found that, 1010 WINS is No.1 all-news station in the USA. I want to hear your opinion about it. My own is, 1010 WINS is all news 24/7. They don't broadcast any sports, CBS shows and others. Just news, weather and traffic updates for New Yorkers.

That's been their mission or simple focus or whatever you wanna call it for 50+ years. I think its one of a few only true all-news radio stations left since the others air CBS Radio's related shows like Weekend Roundup and a simulcast of 60 Minutes, but WINS never airs any of that.

It's the #1 news station in NYC because the folks at CBS designed it to focus on Manhattan and the Boroughs because that is where they have a good signal. WCBS, with better suburban coverage but not as much signal over the City, takes a slightly different approach. They purposely try to be different, and one of the objectives is to make up for the areas in the metro where WINS does not have a decent signal. Interestingly, WCBS outbills WINS, which is quite understandable.

From my perspective, the #1 News station in the US is WTOP. It averages a 9.4 (multi-book average) while WINS averages a 4.3. No contest there.

Does WINS reach more people? Sure. But it's in a market that is almost exactly three times larger. More than double the percentage of DC listeners are tuning WTOP at any moment than are New York City listeners to WINS. In fact, WTOP has a greater share than WINS and WCBS combined.

WTOP is also the highest billing radio station in the US. Beats WINS by more than 50%.

It's the #1 news station in NYC because the folks at CBS designed it to focus on Manhattan and the Boroughs because that is where they have a good signal. WCBS, with better suburban coverage but not as much signal over the City, takes a slightly different approach. They purposely try to be different, and one of the objectives is to make up for the areas in the metro where WINS does not have a decent signal. Interestingly, WCBS outbills WINS, which is quite understandable.

From my perspective, the #1 News station in the US is WTOP. It averages a 9.4 (multi-book average) while WINS averages a 4.3. No contest there.

Does WINS reach more people? Sure. But it's in a market that is almost exactly three times larger. More than double the percentage of DC listeners are tuning WTOP at any moment than are New York City listeners to WINS. In fact, WTOP has a greater share than WINS and WCBS combined.

WTOP is also the highest billing radio station in the US. Beats WINS by more than 50%.

In fact, WTOP has been top biller for a few years now. Not surprising considering how good WTOP really is.

Took a year off of the top spot in 2014 in favor of KIIS, but other than that, WTOP has been #1 for as long as I've been paying attention. Quite amazing for a station in market 7. Especially when the next highest biller in the market is in the lower $20 million ballpark.

Number one according to whom and based on what criteria? Without all that, the original post is meaningless. If this is only OP's personal preference, then potato potahtoe.

Listeners. If not, why anchors always say "More people get their news from 1010 WINS than from any other station"?

Listeners. If not, why anchors always say "More people get their news from 1010 WINS than from any other station"?

Because they work for a New York City station, and the people they are referring to are listeners in the New York City market. Other cities might have "all-news" stations that also air sports play-by-play, network programming, talk, infomercials, whatever, and those stations may do very well in their own markets, but that's irrelevant to WINS' boast.

Because the station is in the country's largest market. WINS has a 4.7 share; KYW a 5.1. But if KYW were in New York with its current cume, its share would be about 2.5.

Because the station is in the country's largest market. WINS has a 4.7 share; KYW a 5.1. But if KYW were in New York with its current cume, its share would be about 2.5.

Cume alone is not the basis for share. Cume and time spent listening are.

If KYW had the same average quarter hour persons but were it in New York City, it would have a 1.8 and be 22nd.

However, were KYW to be measured correctly against WINS irrespective of market population, you would always look at share. In this case, KYW reaches a higher percentage of Philly residents in the average quarter hour than the comparable reach of WINS.

Of course they do not specify the market, area or even whether the claim is just based on "radio listeners". As such, it is puffery based on the fact that there are only two news stations in NYC and WINS leads in share.

Cume alone is not the basis for share. Cume and time spent listening are.

If KYW had the same average quarter hour persons but were it in New York City, it would have a 1.8 and be 22nd.

However, were KYW to be measured correctly against WINS irrespective of market population, you would always look at share. In this case, KYW reaches a higher percentage of Philly residents in the average quarter hour than the comparable reach of WINS.

As usual, you miss the point. Any station with decent numbers in New York can claim to have the most listeners in its category.

As usual, you miss the point. Any station with decent numbers in New York can claim to have the most listeners in its category.

You can't make a point about share/AQH persons if you use cume numbers for comparison. So your point was not made as you were referencing the wrong data.

In other words, to make it clear, there was no point made so none to miss.

And my point is that KYW, with a 5.1 in Philly over-performs WINS with a 4.7 in New York. That is because is listened to at any given time by a higher percentage of the local market than its New York City sister station.

Last edited:
I believe WINS is using cume numbers, which means, in a given week, more people tune to WINS for news than any other radio station in the U.S. I suppose WCBS is #2, even though, as stated above, WTOP's quarter hour ratings are the best in the format nationally. NYC is such a large market that in just about any format you could name, the top NYC station is the top station in the nation. I suppose WHTZ is the nation's most listened-to Top 40, WLTW is the most listened-to AC, WBLS is the most listened-to Urban AC.

I was surprised a few months ago to find KPLX Dallas is the nation's most listened-to Country station. A Dallas station has the highest cume nationally? How could that be?

The Country outlets in Market #1 NYC and Market #2 LA are poorly rated. In Market #3, Chicago's WUSN now has strong competition from a new iHeart Country station so its ratings are down. There is no Country station in #4 San Francisco. So KPLX is the winner, in Market #5. It does have competition but there are so many Country listeners in Dallas that KPLX is still the top Country station in cume in the U.S. At one time, WYNY in NYC, despite poor ratings, was still the nation's top country station. But today, NYC Country outlet WNSH does even worse. It's only ranked around #4 or 5 in cume nationally.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom