• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSOC

charlesnutt111

New Participating Member
KSOC has flipped from Boom 94.5 to Majik 94.5 yesterday bringing back Tom Joyner Morning Show. The music is back to Urban A/C playing artist like Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, Earth, Wind & Fire, Destiny's Child and so much more.

Was wondering when someone in DFW would notice.

Guess Classic Hip Hop turned out to be a flavor of the month format, going from Boom to bust after a couple of years in both DFW and Houston. However its Rhythmic CHR replacement in Houston has been a dud so far.

We'll see how it does. KSOC is one of the stations I've just never really paid much attention to so I can't remember how well it did before Boom or during. It'd be cool to see them grab the format KKDA-AM had but that is very far beyond the realm of possibility.

The bad news is that Urban AC isn't fully covered in the Dallas-Fort Worth market. I would like to see if Entercom could flip one of their stations to Urban AC once they close their merger with CBS Radio.

Well just have to see how well this would play out. My suggestion is if Majik is going to do better in the long run, ratings and demo wise, than the Beat, then I would suggest switching 94.5 and 97.9's format. I think this would be more ideal for a full coverage Urban AC in DFW. But again, that's only if.

Well just have to see how well this would play out. My suggestion is if Majik is going to do better in the long run, ratings and demo wise, than the Beat, then I would suggest switching 94.5 and 97.9's format. I think this would be more ideal for a full coverage Urban AC in DFW. But again, that's only if.

Another suggestion would be if Urban One could buy Service Broadcasting's K104.5 and Smooth R&B 105.7.

Another suggestion would be if Urban One could buy Service Broadcasting's K104.5 and Smooth R&B 105.7.

I think the family that owns KKDA and KRNB enjoys being the last mom & pop stations in the market. You know they've had many offers. They're still there.

The only way those signals go up for sale is for mom & pop to pass away and their children decide they don't want to be in radio.

There are no signs of that happening anytime soon.

I think the family that owns KKDA and KRNB enjoys being the last mom & pop stations in the market. You know they've had many offers. They're still there.

The only way those signals go up for sale is for mom & pop to pass away and their children decide they don't want to be in radio.

I'm surprised to hear that Service Broadcasting still owns those stations even after the 1996 Telecom Act went into effect.

I know Hearst, who primarily owns TV stations still owns a pair of radio stations in Baltimore, and I would've expected those stations to have been sold to iHeartMedia.

I'm surprised to hear that Service Broadcasting still owns those stations even after the 1996 Telecom Act went into effect.

I know Hearst, who primarily owns TV stations still owns a pair of radio stations in Baltimore, and I would've expected those stations to have been sold to iHeartMedia.

What does Hearst have to do with this?

Hearst is a newspaper company with TV holdings and one remaining radio market.

Service Broadcasting is owned by a man named Hyman Childs, who has worked in Dallas radio since the 1960s.

He's 79 years old. He could sell his stations at any time and make a lot of money. But he'd rather own and operate his stations. Lord knows, he's had plenty of offers.

If there's anyone you'd ever want to work for, it's someone like this who owns radio stations because he loves radio.

What does Hearst have to do with this?

Hearst is a newspaper company with TV holdings and one remaining radio market.

Service Broadcasting is owned by a man named Hyman Childs, who has worked in Dallas radio since the 1960s.

He's 79 years old. He could sell his stations at any time and make a lot of money. But he'd rather own and operate his stations. Lord knows, he's had plenty of offers.

If there's anyone you'd ever want to work for, it's someone like this who owns radio stations because he loves radio.

Hearst is another example of someone who didn't sell all their radio stations since the passing of the 1996 Telecom Act. If iHeartMedia owned both 98 Rock and NewsRadio 1090 in Baltimore, it would've improved their status in the market. For example, iHeartMedia would have the ability to add their best syndicated talk shows on 1090, including Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, and Coast to Coast AM.

As for Service Broadcasting, I was only thinking of strategies of how Urban AC could be covered in the full market, given that the format only covers the north side. I'm not necessarily saying that the stations should be sold to Urban One, but Urban AC in Dallas-Fort Worth needs improvement in terms of coverage.

I bet if Entercom launches a 3rd Urban AC in Dallas-Fort Worth once their merger with CBS Radio closes, it could greatly improve their status.

No. There is KHYI/KXEZ. Its a mom and pop owned radio station.

Hearst is another example of someone who didn't sell all their radio stations since the passing of the 1996 Telecom Act. If iHeartMedia owned both 98 Rock and NewsRadio 1090 in Baltimore, it would've improved their status in the market. For example, iHeartMedia would have the ability to add their best syndicated talk shows on 1090, including Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, and Coast to Coast AM.

As for Service Broadcasting, I was only thinking of strategies of how Urban AC could be covered in the full market, given that the format only covers the north side. I'm not necessarily saying that the stations should be sold to Urban One, but Urban AC in Dallas-Fort Worth needs improvement in terms of coverage.

I bet if Entercom launches a 3rd Urban AC in Dallas-Fort Worth once their merger with CBS Radio closes, it could greatly improve their status.

That could be a possibility, but why would CBS/Entercom get back into a format they abandoned when they had KRBV back in 1996. CBS doesn't want to program those stations. I was told that by a sales manager a long time ago.

That could be a possibility, but why would CBS/Entercom get back into a format they abandoned when they had KRBV back in 1996. CBS doesn't want to program those stations. I was told that by a sales manager a long time ago.

You're confusing yourself. Entercom will be running those stations once the merger closes, so they'll be the ones making the format decisions, not CBS.

Eh, I consider those more as Texoma stations. Their Dallas market penetration is relatively poor, despite how desperately they try to call themselves Dallas stations. Service Broadcasting is definitely the only full market Class C holder.

Not going to happen. The demos aren't there to make a full-market stick worthwhile. Best to stick to covering certain areas of the Plex.

You're confusing yourself. Entercom will be running those stations once the merger closes, so they'll be the ones making the format decisions, not CBS.

But the local management team looks to be in place, and they already had the experience of KRBV and will not wish to go through it again.

Format changes don't come down a one way street from corporate (well, maybe they did with Lou Dickey) but are done by good broadcasters in conjunction with market research and discussions with local management, including the sales aspects of possible different formats.

But the local management team looks to be in place, and they already had the experience of KRBV and will not wish to go through it again.

Format changes don't come down a one way street from corporate (well, maybe they did with Lou Dickey) but are done by good broadcasters in conjunction with market research and discussions with local management, including the sales aspects of possible different formats.

I could see some layoffs happening at Entercom post-merger, especially after the elimination of the Main Studio Rule.

Entercom is expected to release their 3rd quarter results this week, so chances are they should have an update on the merger is progressing and will hopefully close by November 17th.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom