• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Legend Art Laboe to Break Guinness World Record

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n34676

Radio legend Art Laboe, 92, will begin his 75th consecutive year on the radio this Sunday, September 24. He will break the Guinness World Record for the longest career as a radio presenter/DJ this Sunday on KDAY-FM Los Angeles as he kicks off his 75th year on-air. Laboe' s professional career began at KSAN/San Francisco on September 23, 1943. Laboe was inducted in the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2012 and received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in the category of radio in 1981.

"Art Laboe is an LA legend like Vin Scully and Chick Hearn... his work and brand are truly synonymous with LA's music history and culture," said Meruelo Media President Otto Padron. "It is an honor to have him as a part of our Meruelo Radio Family."

The record breaking feat can be heard live on the Art Laboe Sunday Special immediately following Sunday's Raider's football broadcast on KDAY-FM at 9pm PT on September 24.

Yes the broadcast will be on KDAY-FM. Note article also mentions that Laboe got his start at KSAN San Francisco in 1943

Art is the Vin Scully of the radio DJ world. I'm 65, and he was really before my time. In the 60s and early 70s, I was aware of him from his radio ads for the "Art Laboe Oldies but Goodies Show" - IIRC, at the El Monte Legion Stadium. I had older friends that had his Oldies record collections. In those days, "Oldies" meant 1950s, of course. If he was on the air in that period, I was unaware of it.

Art is the Vin Scully of the radio DJ world. I'm 65, and he was really before my time. In the 60s and early 70s, I was aware of him from his radio ads for the "Art Laboe Oldies but Goodies Show" - IIRC, at the El Monte Legion Stadium. I had older friends that had his Oldies record collections. In those days, "Oldies" meant 1950s, of course. If he was on the air in that period, I was unaware of it.

Art was working in L.A. Radio as early as 1949. Comparing Art Laboe to Vin Scully is quite a reach. I met his son in the 70's, met Art too at a Penthouse Playmate/KRLA Softball game. Art had a son who worked at KRLA. You can scour the internet and find no mention of him anywhere until now

http://www.westcoastfog.com/attila/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom