• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

YouTube Kills Paid Channels, Expands $4.99 per Month Sponsorship Model

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/youtube-kills-paid-channels-1202563599/

YouTube is getting rid of one of its first paid content models: The Google-owned video site announced Tuesday that it is discontinuing its paid channels initiative, effectively killing the option to sell the content of individual channels to paying subscribers. Instead, YouTube is expanding its sponsorship model, making it available to all YouTube Gaming creators and testing it with some creators within the main YouTube app.

YouTube first introduced paid channels in 2013 as its very first move into the subscription business. Initially launched with a few dozen content partners including the Sesame Workshop, NatGeo Kids and DHX Media, paid channels allowed creators to set their own price for subscriber-only channels on the service.

However, there were signs early on that YouTube’s audience didn’t care much for these paid channels, and the initiative has since been overshadowed by YouTube’s other monetization options, including the site-wide YouTube Red subscription service. At the last count, less than 1% of creators were making use of paid channels, according to YouTube.

One of the ways YouTube is now looking to replace paid channels is a patronage model. YouTube began testing sponsorships with select YouTube Gaming creators in late 2015, and is now making this additional revenue stream available to all of YouTube Gaming. Users can sponsor a creator for $4.99 a month, and in return get custom chat badges and custom emoji as well as access to a sponsor-only chat. Creators can even give them additional perks through third-party integrations.

I will have to say I never seen this one though on Youtube.

Will say I tried YouTube TV while planning to leave DirecTV and it actually worked for $35 on my 5.5 Mb Frontier Internet.

Does this affect movie rentals through You Tube? I've never used it, but just curious.

Also, is You Tube TV still only available on phones and tablets, or are they making any progress in making it available on streaming devices?

Does this affect movie rentals through You Tube? I've never used it, but just curious.

Also, is You Tube TV still only available on phones and tablets, or are they making any progress in making it available on streaming devices?
Well it does work on Laptops that can connect to the TV with a cord (so much for cutting the cord) and they mail you a free ChromeCast with your first payment, I gave it to my Doctor

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom