• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cities that watch the most local news

How about which cities air the most local news. I swear it seems like the Philadelphia stations air at least 25% of their air time to local "news".

That's not unique to Philadelphia. Take any major market, you'll have roughly a similar amount of news among the big three networks, give or take, plus a Fox station with a fairly robust slate in most cases.

How about which cities air the most local news. I swear it seems like the Philadelphia stations air at least 25% of their air time to local "news".

Yes, that is the question. How does market exposure equate to market viewers? Do tv markets that offer a lot of local news have greater numbers of viewers? I suppose the obvious answer would be yes, but I bet there is a "back-story" here...as in the number of hours local stations offer local news is not always equating in a greater number of viewers. Local stations will probably never reveal this critical information, instead focusing on head to head matchups within certain time periods.

That's not unique to Philadelphia. Take any major market, you'll have roughly a similar amount of news among the big three networks, give or take, plus a Fox station with a fairly robust slate in most cases.

Save for Detroit, where the CBS O&O produces zero local news.

Except for a break from 2-3pm, there's news all day from 4am to 11:35pm every weekday here in Los Angeles, and that's without a local cable news channel (at least one that covers the entire market).

To break it down...

KCBS: 4:30-7am, 11-11:30am, 5-6:30pm, 11-11:35pm (5 hrs., 5min)
KNBC: 4-7am, 11am-noon, 4-6:30pm, 11-11:35pm (7 hrs., 5 min)
KTLA: 4-11am, 1-2pm, 3-4pm, 6-7pm, 10-11:30pm (11 hrs., 30 min)
KABC: 4:30am-7am, 11am-noon, 3-6:30pm, 7-8pm (on KDOC), 11-11:35pm (replays on KDOC at midnight) (8 hrs., 35 mins total; 7:35 on KABC)
KCAL: Noon-1pm, 4-5pm, 8-11pm (5 hrs)
KTTV: 4-10:30am, Noon-1pm, 5-6pm, 10-11pm (9 hrs., 30 min)

If you combine the local CBS (KCAL/KCBS) newsroom, there more than ten hours of news they produce each day, and the NBC-Telemundo (KVEA) bilingual newsroom produces more than eleven hours daily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom