• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGOW Moving to 94.1

And wow Centro also owns an LPFM in Conroe TX.
http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php?sCurrentService=FM&tabSearchType=Appl&sAppIDNumber=1763056

I thought full power stations couldn't also have LPFMs.

Similar situation with catholic churches owning LPFMs across the country. Local congregation is technically owner, even though they did not apply for license or pay to build station. And they dont even program station.... It all comes from the Catholic Eternal Word Network.

Doesn't the rules stipulate that if Centro is going to retransmit a commercial station beyond it's protected contour, then they CANNOT profit from the rebroadcast? I can't find the rules (clunky iPhone doesn't play nice with the FCC site), but iirc then Centro will have to rebroadcast KFNC-HD2 without seeking any form of compensation (this includes leasing fees or cash to pay electric bills, site fees, etc). Any FCC junkies want to take a crack at looking up the rules?

The church of Centro would have have to be charitable if this is the case.

Pretty sure the rule is that non-fill-in translators can't receive any financial support from the stations they rebroadcast. They can, however, sell up to 30 seconds an hour of airtime independent of the station they rebroadcast. This is supposed to be for paying bills, not for profit. I'm not sure if there's a way around that or not. I'm also not sure if it could potentially plug the church with those 30 seconds, which would be huge. Sports stations are generally pretty easy to sell. So, it should be able to cover its costs pretty easily.

I'll also say I never said relaying KFNC HD2 would be smart business sense. I was just saying it would be legal if it remained owned by someone other than Gow and could get KFNC HD2 off-air.

Rules governing extension of a commercial station's signal aside...

One thing I'm not sure Gow has thought of is the impact running HD on KFNC will have on their listenership in Houston.

If their HD runs at -20 dBc, people listening in Houston with HD radios will experience nearly constant switching back and forth from analog to digital, which will be annoying to say the least.

Even if they ran higher power HD, with a signal that far out of the metro, listeners will still experience frequent HD dropouts on the west side.

I'm not sure they've really thought this through.

I don't see a translator with a signal as poor as 94.1's gaining any kind of traction, and they're going to hurt KFNC by going HD.

Rules governing extension of a commercial station's signal aside...

One thing I'm not sure Gow has thought of is the impact running HD on KFNC will have on their listenership in Houston.

If their HD runs at -20 dBc, people listening in Houston with HD radios will experience nearly constant switching back and forth from analog to digital, which will be annoying to say the least.

Even if they ran higher power HD, with a signal that far out of the metro, listeners will still experience frequent HD dropouts on the west side.

I'm not sure they've really thought this through.

I don't see a translator with a signal as poor as 94.1's gaining any kind of traction, and they're going to hurt KFNC by going HD.

It's mostly talk programming. As long as they correctly delay their analog audio, they should be fine. The change from analog to HD (and vice versa) should have very little change in audio fidelity.

As far as their HD2, I doubt they'll have any listeners tuned in with an HD Radio since it's a rimshot. Whatever little listeners they will have will probably go to the translator.

It's mostly talk programming. As long as they correctly delay their analog audio, they should be fine. The change from analog to HD (and vice versa) should have very little change in audio fidelity.

Even if perfectly synchronized, the back and forth is annoying as hell.

It's not a big no-no if Gow doesn't own the translator. However, it still has to get 97.5 HD2 over-the-air, and the digital signal rarely gets past the 60 dBu analog contour.
Had no clue KFNC had a digital signal. Cant get it here in Kingwood.

Seems they are only staying with LA CALLE for now. On October 22 they're throwing a 1 year anniversary party.

What I'm guessing at is their engineer said it was okay to operate without a broadcast station.
But then they started talking to Gow and found out that it was not okay, and are somewhere in the process of making themselves legal. But who knows?

What I'm guessing at is their engineer said it was okay to operate without a broadcast station.
But then they started talking to Gow and found out that it was not okay, and are somewhere in the process of making themselves legal. But who knows?

Are you suggesting that KGOW will be the new originating station for La Calle?

Now LA Mejor seems dead they're not even on 102.5 anymore. Drove north today close To Cypress and nothing but silence

I've been hearing an open carrier (stereo signal) trying to override KMAZ in the Cy-Fair area. Is this the transmitter you're talking about?

I've been hearing an open carrier (stereo signal) trying to override KMAZ in the Cy-Fair area. Is this the transmitter you're talking about?

Drove by 45 north And Cypress, pass 1960 around where Hardy Toll Rd ends and I heard nothing but dead air.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom