• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wjjz will be gone as of midnight.

The station switched formats in August of 2006, right at the start of the Fall book. In the Winter, Spring and Summer books it was down to the low 3 shares in 12+ and was below 15th in 25-54. Compare to 5's in 2002 and mid to high 4's in 2003. It was on a fairly dramatic slide, with the under-55 demos pretty much disappearing.

The station had commercials. They were likely part of a cluster package or sold cheap. Having lots of spots is not a sign of prosperity; it may just mean that the station has to sell lots of cheap spots to survive.

Thank you for saving and sharing that info!

No but it will cost less and could qualify as a tax deduction. Or perhaps they're paying for use of the frequency.

Things aren't making sense to me yet. I mean, who's paying to put the station on 102.5? CHOP? That seems dubious. Also, can't iHeart claim a deduction only if they actually hand the station over? Is there a deduction just for letting CHOP run a station that iHeart retains ownership of?

Pretty sure iHeart is applying for the 102.5 translator.

As for deductions, iHeart might be able to write off the airtime it gives CHOP as a donation. I'm not familiar enough with business taxes to know for certain, but it seems plausible that free airtime for a non-profit could qualify.

Pretty sure iHeart is applying for the 102.5 translator.

As for deductions, iHeart might be able to write off the airtime it gives CHOP as a donation. I'm not familiar enough with business taxes to know for certain, but it seems plausible that free airtime for a non-profit could qualify.

Wouldn't WJJZ on 102.5 interfere with Reading's WRFY(Y-102), which incidentally is also an iHeart station?

Wouldn't WJJZ on 102.5 interfere with Reading's WRFY(Y-102), which incidentally is also an iHeart station?

I'm assuming that it will be outside of WRFY's protected contour... but even if it isn't... since iHeart also owns WRFY, they can simply not file any interference protest against their own translator.

The pattern is strict Southeast away from WRFY, kinda like WURD at 96.1, which protects Cat Country, their signal can reach Lakehurst 50 miles away to the east, but a block behind them, the signal is non-existant. The only problem I can see is if WRFY is sold, if my memory serves me correctly they were always 20kw and were like a local in Philly. When IHeart acquired them they had to reduce power in half to 10kw to keep their signal out of the city, stopping IHeart from owning the airwaves, they still are receivable but much weaker. Now, if another company would buy them, I am sure it would be legal for them to power back up to 20kw...

What were the transition songs and was it a smooth [no pun intended] transition to the new format?

This has become a real trainwreck, now 106.1 HD 2 is simulcasting 1480 along with 105.3 HD2 and 106.1 HD3 is still Smooth Jazz. Its obvious they added this extra sub on 106.1 and do not know what to do with it, instead of just sliding Standards on it their screwing around with all these placeholders.

Not sure how one deduces it's "obvious" someone doesn't know what to do with something. But that aisde, standards aren't happening.

Think of it this way, many large metros have a Standards format on a sub, example the Strip in Dallas. Philadelphia has an aging population that embraces this format, WPEN always had good numbers. Plus, what would it really cost to throw it on a sub, it's better than some foreign language or religious format taking up space, with all those flooding the airwaves now. WMGK HD2 fills a nice void with their Oldies format.

The standards audience is older than the oldies format. How likely do you think someone that age is to own an HD radio?

Oooh, oooh oooh---I know, I know.

"Not very?"

:cool:

WPEN did not "always" have good numbers. Hence, its ultimate fate. In later years, it had (generally speaking) unsellable listeners, for the most part. Those aren't good numbers. They're just numbers.

Take the logic to its next step--WIP (music era) had good numbers, so why isn't someone running a full-service MOR format with a full-on news operation?

The standards audience is older than the oldies format. How likely do you think someone that age is to own an HD radio?

me lmao

I thought this was a great station (yes, I'm a Smooth Jazz fan) and I'll miss it. :( I'm not really too surprised to see it go, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom