• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wow KKGO is #12

I was perusing the never-to-be-used-or-discussed 12+ (or maybe it is 6+?) local ratings over at Don's laradio.com and have noticed (again, although this is the first time I have commented) that KKGO is doing amazingly well to be at #12 with a 2.7 rating, just bubbling under very popular stations such as KNX, KAMP and KPWR with their 3.0 and 2.9s, and just above other very popular stations like David's favorite KSCA, KYSR, and both KLOS and KSWD.

I totally "get" that these numbers are almost meaningless in any meaningful context such as target demo, daypart, and of course most importantly, cash flow. That said, what I find impressive is Saul has taken over the country format in one of the toughest markets to sell country music and has got a lot of people tuning in and he is obviously making money and being very successful at it. This is a format that Emmis left for dead many years ago, a company with far more resources than Saul, and Saul took it on, and in the beginning I think it was tough for him, but he kept on keeping on and has really turned it into something. Props to him for identifying a market that, regardless of what the experts say, obviously still exists and super-serving it and making money at the same time. That is what the game is all about.

Last edited:
He's also doing it in a unique way. He easily could have saved a lot of money and run syndication. In fact, he did a little bit at the beginning. But instead, he's done it all local. He's saving money with his midday shift, having it hosted by country singers. That's now a promotable feature, with a different artist every month taking the slot. He's not making a ton of money, but he's not spending a lot either. He's doing it in a way only he could do. So he's got an exclusive in the country's #2 market. That's worth something.

KKGO is doing amazingly well to be at #12 with a 2.7 rating, just bubbling under very popular stations such as KNX, KAMP and KPWR with their 3.0 and 2.9s, and just above other very popular stations like David's favorite KSCA, KYSR, and both KLOS and KSWD.

Granted, the station is doing well for a country station that is about 75% ethnic and immigrant.

However, country as done by KKGO in LA leans really old. The station, in the last book, is 23rd in 25-54 and is well behind the stations you mention that seem to be ahead in the 12+ numbers.

what I find impressive is Saul has taken over the country format in one of the toughest markets to sell country music and has got a lot of people tuning in and he is obviously making money and being very successful at it.

I would not use the term "very" in this context. The station obviously makes money, but it bills at the level of KWKW, not of one of the major FMs.

This is a format that Emmis left for dead many years ago, a company with far more resources than Saul, and Saul took it on,

A company like Emmis that is publicly traded, carrying debt and not family run could not make enough money to keep the format when the record company support money dried up years ago.

Props to him for identifying a market that, regardless of what the experts say, obviously still exists and super-serving it and making money at the same time. That is what the game is all about.

This is simply an example of what can be done so that a single station player can find a niche nobody else wants, but where there is enough money for a frugal operator to do well enough.

He's also doing it in a unique way. He easily could have saved a lot of money and run syndication. In fact, he did a little bit at the beginning. But instead, he's done it all local. He's saving money with his midday shift, having it hosted by country singers. That's now a promotable feature, with a different artist every month taking the slot. He's not making a ton of money, but he's not spending a lot either. He's doing it in a way only he could do. So he's got an exclusive in the country's #2 market. That's worth something.

However, the station's presence in the market within the lifestyle group seems minimal.

For example, KFRG was all over the recent Garth Brooks concert weekends at the Forum. No KKGO presence at all.

They seem to believe in being live on the air, but not particularly aggressive on the street and with events.

They seem to believe in being live on the air, but not particularly aggressive on the street and with events.

They gave away tickets to the show, both on air and online. They were physically at the concert, and at the meet & greet, as this article shows:

https://www.allaccess.com/country/industry-snap/q/id/517386

Granted they don't have the resources to blanket an event with staff like CBS Radio. But they don't ignore local events, and their web site is filled with similar promotions.

They gave away tickets to the show, both on air and online. They were physically at the concert, and at the meet & greet, as this article shows:

https://www.allaccess.com/country/industry-snap/q/id/517386

Granted they don't have the resources to blanket an event with staff like CBS Radio. But they don't ignore local events, and their web site is filled with similar promotions.

They may have had staff at the meet and greet on one of the four nights, but there was no presence at the event itself. KFRG had a tent with games and premiums with their jocks at every one of the shows (I stopped by to chat with them). I saw no evidence of anything KKGO at either of the second weekend shows, and I walked around the entire venue twice on each night for the exercise and to see the excitement.

They did give out tickets, but there was no on-site follow through. I am curious to see if they have any presence at the FGL concert tomorrow; I'll do a follow up post.

They did give out tickets, but there was no on-site follow through.

As we've discussed, they run that station with a very small staff. They used to do the tent & jock thing at Stagecoach. Not sure if they do it any more. They've dropped at least two people since then.

Last edited:
As we've discussed, they run that station with a very small staff. They used to do the tent & jock thing at Stagecoach. Not sure if they do it any more. They've dropped at least two people since then.

I did not see them at Stagecoach this year. KFRG had a presence, as did both of the Palm Springs country stations. This gives me something to look for in 2018. Now, gotta' go polish my boots for the FGL show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom