• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Huge X9.3 solar flare; CME hurtling towards Earth, aurora upon us shortly!

crainbebo

Walk of Fame Participant
Here we gooooo....get those headphones and radios and antennas ready for some serious auroral propagation! This is the biggest in over a decade! Great chance to hear the Caribbean, Venezuela, Colombia and others on AM for you East Coast DXers. Out here, a California/Nevada/Baja feast!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/xclass-powerful-solar-flare-1.4277312

Sounds like it will start tonight? I remember an aurora back in 2005 or 2006 very well. Was picking up a ton of new stations and the usual blasters (especially Chicago) were gone here in central Ohio.

Just arrived! G4 severe geomagnetic storm. Check the dials and listen to those 50kw blasters all but wiped out!

Well I may have to wait a little bit. At 8:30PM CDT I'm hearing the usual East coast blasters along with KOA here in the Chicago area.

Weirdest thing in Knoxville, TN. WSM almost gone but WFAN splattering and strong next door. WOR also strong. WJR was nowhere to be found and WLW was weak.

Weirdest thing in Knoxville, TN. WSM almost gone but WFAN splattering and strong next door. WOR also strong. WJR was nowhere to be found and WLW was weak.

Noticing some similar things. Weak WSM, no WSB, no WWL, but east coast blasting in.

Well, 6m Aurora is all the way down to SFO/Sacramento, MarioMania. This is the biggest solar flare in years!
Just went on an Ellensburg/Kittitas, WA SDR receiver and heard 105.5 KKHB Eureka CA w/ a stream match, very weak and muffled. This is how aurora sounds on FM, hard to tell what music format it is. But I was able to match to the stream 'Jungle Love' Steve Miller Band and 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' Michael Jackson, both matched.

New one!

Just logged hopefully the first of several new...

610 - KAVL Lancaster, CA; under KONA Pasco with Dodgers postgame and mention of 'AM 570 LA Sports and the Dodgers Radio Network', at 2250 PT. Also heard KEAR SF and later KRTA Medford under KONA. NEW #737, 4KW at 829 miles.

Also hearing tonight
550 KUZZ Bakersfield, 'Eight Second Ride' Jake Owen // stream. 5KW 780mi
540 UNID Regional Mexican mixing with XESURF. Not XEWA, perhaps KNMX NM? Would be new.
570 KLAC Los Angeles w/ Dodgers postgame over KVI
1270 KVMI Tulare 'My 97.5'
plenty more to come as the aurora continues!

Heard KSDO/1130 San Diego last night, kind of rare. San Diego promo and Christian music // webstream. Also 1000 KCEO Vista was on day power at times over KOMO, with Immaculate Heart Radio.
BUT...another X-flare hit this morning, and it's another big one, an X8.2! A wide and fast CME was ejected. Hopefully this will give us a better Au opening on AM in the coming days. I'd like a repeat of the super March 2012 aurora.

Big time Au tonight! One new station and hopefully more.

1450 - KVML Sonora, CA; fair-good at 2005 PT w/ mention of 'the fire report on KVML, sponsored by Adventist Health in Sonora'. NEW #738, 940w at 591 miles! Great catch on a graveyard frequency, and a very-much wanted station bagged!

Also noted
1600 KUBA w/ ID
1330 KLBS Los Banos Portuguese talk not heard in YEARS
1420 KSTN Stockton '105.9 the Bull'
920 KIHM Reno 'Immaculate Heart Radio'
1260 KSFB San Francisco 'Immaculate Heart Radio'
1120 KZSJ San Jose w/ Asian talk blistering signal for 150W!!!
many more unids including SS on 1440, another SS on 1080 and a third SS on 1190 probably XEWK

Logged XEW/900 and XEWK/1190 last hour!! Both // with David Bowie, Billy Joel etc. and sometimes quite strong. 1190 is 2038 miles; 900 is 2235 miles!
540 unid Regional Mexican under XESURF briefly, may have been KNMX Las Vegas NM? Didn't sound like Los 40 (XEWA).
1320 KIFM Sacramento ESPN quite strong...
1510 KSFN Piedmont CA w/ Chinese, S/9+ at times
1270 KBZZ Reno all alone with Stephanie Miller
2200 TOH brought in 1230 KWG Stockton CA w/ a TOH ID and Immaculate Heart mention. 900W 596mi, relog.

This is how it's affecting Ottawa. The other night, the east coast was dead, but the midwest was good, then it went the other way last night. If it was west of me, I couldn't hear it. Tonight, the dial is completely dead below 1030. Montreal signals are steady for me, Toronto-Hamilton is completely MIA below 1150.

Here we go again, new log #2 of this Au opening...

1300 - KWRU Fresno, CA; very weak Punjabi music at 1858 PT // webstream. NEW #738, 5KW at 678 miles.
Band quite dead as we reach sunset tonight. A Fox Sports station all alone on 1440 must be KVON Napa, but other than that and some common upper band CA stations, the band is very quiet.
Honduras 550 reported NW of Chicago; 770 HJJX Bogota reported by a DXer in Indiana! Aurora upon us again!

#3!

1590 - KVTA Ventura, CA; Farmview Radio segment with Joe Scott; then slam-dunk ID 'Sean Hannity at noon, news at 3, here on News Talk 1590 KVTA' into Jim Bohannon. NEW #739, 5KW at 855 miles. Mixing with KLIV San Jose 'Country Gold'.
Also heard, 1520 two UNIDs / one SS with a liner that was too weak to tell, suspect KMPG Hollister CA, and another with a very wide music playlist, ranging from Dinah Washington to 'Meeting in the Ladies Room' Klymaxx, and later 'Biggest Part of Me' Ambrosia, no IDs. Likely KKZZ Port Hueneme CA.
1400 KVTO Berkeley CA so strong I made a recording, with Asian talk around 1945 PT
1380 KLPZ Parker AZ very weak with '1380 KLPZ' ID out of Rodney Atkins, suspect 2.5KW day power 919mi
1540 KMPC Los Angeles / Korean format quite strong

Big new #4!

730 - XEX Mexico City, DF; SS female announcer finishing call-in with male; then slam-dunk 'W Deportes' ID at 2052 PT! NEW #740, 100KW at 2235 miles!! XEX is all alone at the moment, fair at times.
Also hearing XEW 900, XEWK 1190, and a possible Regional Mexican on 940 (XEQ?) mixing with KFIG. This is why I love X-flares and CMEs!
Over on the graveyards...
1230 KWG Stockton 'Immaculate Heart Radio' 900W 596mi, strong in KDYM null
1240 KNRY Monterey CA w/ Big Band and standards, 1KW 691mi
1240 KSMA Santa Maria, CA w/ ad for Lompoc RV dealer and phone number, and bank commercial mentioning their support 'for the people of Santa Maria' *Not heard since 3/12/12! Still my farthest on the graveyards!* 1KW 802mi. Was 878 mi when I logged it from Bellevue during the super 2012 Au.
1410 KMYC CA ad for cafe in Olivehurst, 1000w

Now #5 - the hits just keep on comin'...

880 - KKMC Gonzales, CA; with Through the Bible, ID 'Christian Radio KKMC' and community announcement at 2129 PT 9/11/17. NEW #741, 10KW at 693 miles. I've been looking for this one for many years and finally bagged them. Also hearing a much-fainter KHAC NM than last night.
760 has very faint SS talk under Mark Levin/KFMB. Possibly XEABC DF.
940 faded in with 'Crimson and Clover' and out, under KFIG. XEQ?
1150 has SS talk at a blistering S9+. This might be XEAD Toluca JAL on day power, or maybe KCKY AZ (needed). XEAD would be 2nd time ever.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom