• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dishonest advertising?

Brad Davis on The Talk of Connecticut (WDRC, WSNG, WWCO, and WMMW) is doing the same commercial for My Pillow. Mention Promo "WDRC" for a special discount.

Imus on WABC offers a 50% discount on all My Pillow products, opposite Piscopo offering the same discounts that he boasts are "exclusive" to am970 listeners and that he insists are not offered elsewhere!

We have a "somewhat" related question.
Never mind the FCC for a moment.
This link to the Federal Trade Commission's website describe's commercial disclaimers as having to be "clear and conspicuous".
What is C&C about long-winded announcements that would have to be reduced to between a third and a quarter of their broadcast speed to be discernable?
Of course we are referring to spots which are normally run during professional sports games.
We know that "what is C&C" is subjective, so perhaps that phrase should be just slightly modified to read,
"not less clear and conspicuous than the main commercial content of the message".
Their was a time when they were!
Sample & Spoof

We know that "what is C&C" is subjective, so perhaps that phrase should be just slightly modified to read,
"not less clear and conspicuous than the main commercial content of the message".

I agree. And what we're hearing in this thread is one sentence from a :60 host read commercial. There probably are disclaimers, but we don't know.

What I do know is if you search the words "My Pillow exclusive 50%" you'll get pages of offers from sellers all describing their discount as "exclusive." And, as we've pointed out, they each have an exclusive promo code. That's what makes it exclusive. Here's an example:

http://www.sleepingsmart.org/my-pillow-promo-code/

So the word "exclusive" isn't being applied to the 50%, but to the specific offer. Is that explained in the disclaimer? I don't know.

I agree. And what we're hearing in this thread is one sentence from a :60 host read commercial. There probably are disclaimers, but we don't know.

What I do know is if you search the words "My Pillow exclusive 50%" you'll get pages of offers from sellers all describing their discount as "exclusive." And, as we've pointed out, they each have an exclusive promo code. That's what makes it exclusive. Here's an example:

http://www.sleepingsmart.org/my-pillow-promo-code/

So the word "exclusive" isn't being applied to the 50%, but to the specific offer. Is that explained in the disclaimer? I don't know.

This isn't very complicated: Piscopo asserts the 50% discount is "exclusive" for am970 listeners and "this offer is not heard or seen elsewhere" This assertion is factually false. It is doubtful that he is unaware of the offer being actively promoted elsewhere.

I always love the ads that the fine print is way to small to read at all or there is so much of it there is no way anyone human could read it within the time given. Those products are automatically rejected in my house. As are the ones where the disclaimer is spoken so fast it seems in a language besides English.

This isn't very complicated: Piscopo asserts the 50% discount is "exclusive" for am970 listeners and "this offer is not heard or seen elsewhere" This assertion is factually false. It is doubtful that he is unaware of the offer being actively promoted elsewhere.

Several people have explained it to you, and you don't seem to understand. As my post demonstrated, lots of other people say their discount is exclusive too. What's exclusive about it is the promo code.

Why is this even really an issue?

Because, a New York radio station that is part of a religiously oriented network is making blatantly untruthful claims?

With apologies to Calvin Coolidge .. The business of religion is business. Anything goes when you claim to be serving a supernatural being.

That's your interpretation. Including the person making the statement, or the station lawyers.

Piscopo boasts the 50 percent discount on all My Pillow products is “exclusive” to am970 and “you will not hear or see this offer anywhere else!” Rather definitive statement Two minutes later, I heard the 50 percent discount on all My Pillow products offered on Imus, WABC. Later, Mark Simone on WOR offered—guess what?—a 50 percent discount on all My Pillow products. Turns out, the 50 percent discounts are exclusive to anyone! LOL

What's the difference between this deceptive ad and the sort of lies, half-truth and outright propaganda these stations have proffered for years? For the hollow craniums that have absorbed this stuff, it is nothing new.

As long as they hear "Democrats-Liberal-Communist" at least once per hour...all is well.

LCG

Certainly no worse than the lie that WYNC offers something in the public interest. Actually the WNYC lie is much worse since that station, in part, is funded with taxpayer dollars.

Turns out, the 50 percent discounts are exclusive to anyone! LOL

As we've said, and demonstrated through the link to print coupons, it's not the 50% part that's exclusive. Lots of people offer "exclusive 50%" discounts. It's the coupon that is exclusive. If you hear Piscopo on WABC, let me know.

Certainly no worse than the lie that WYNC offers something in the public interest. Actually the WNYC lie is much worse since that station, in part, is funded with taxpayer dollars.

Really? How do you know? I can tell you all of those spots you hear or see on commercial radio and TV about drunk driving and buckling seat belts are also funded by taxpayer dollars. They're not PSAs.

Anything done by public broadcasting is strictly regulated. The rules they operate under are stricter than commercial broadcasters in terms of what qualifies. That is no lie. Truthfully, most of what you hear on public broadcasting isn't funded by taxpayer dollars. But the real story of the taxpayer funding is about distributing national dollars to the state governments, many of which own the local public broadcasting systems. And as you know, most of the states are run by Republican governors. It sounds a lot like the Lindsay Graham health care bill that the conservatives all love.

As we've said, and demonstrated through the link to print coupons, it's not the 50% part that's exclusive. Lots of people offer "exclusive 50%" discounts. It's the coupon that is exclusive. If you hear Piscopo on WABC, let me know.

I heard Piscopo’s “50 percent discount on all My Pillow products exclusive to am970 listeners” that “you will not hear or see anywhere else” on WABC. On WOR, too.

Oops!

I heard Piscopo’s “50 percent discount on all My Pillow products exclusive to am970 listeners” that “you will not hear or see anywhere else” on WABC. On WOR, too.

Oops!

But you've not heard it offered by Piscopo on those stations, right? With his specific and exclusive code, right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom