• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How long before WPLM drops Strictly Sinatra?

WPLM/Easy 99.1 has gone through a lot of changes over the past 20 or so years it's been on, however there's one thing that has not changed. Ron Della Chiesa (I think that's how it's spelled) hosts Strictly Sinatra on Sunday nights. I'm pretty sure it used to be on Saturday nights. But last night, it was pre-empted for an extra episode of the American Top 40 with Casey Kasem, and apparently only 2 people complained about Sinatra not being on. This basically proves that it shouldn't be on anymore. I wonder exactly how long it's been on there. But if/when it gets cancelled, I think it would be great if they started airing both 70s and 80s episodes of AT40 each weekend. A lot of stations do that.

It should be dumped. Yes a lot of people like Sinatra's music, but people who go to radio to listen to him are (at least 99% of the time) outside of the target demo for radio as a whole (excluding WKFY and it's emulators, which continue to play Sinatra regularly). People younger than that who like (but in almost all cases, not love) Sinatra will probably buy his music as a record or digital download. Radio should not be the home for Sinatra. The adult standards and oldies formats are dead as can be. Besides, in 30 years time, Sinatra will likely only be liked by people who (by then) will be seniors, as by then all the other generations will be lost in releases from the 21st century. Just my 2¢

There is also SiriusXM, which still includes "Siriusly Sinatra" full time.

So long as SXM feels there are enough paying customers wanting to hear that sort of music, the programming will remain. In time, it will likely become an unsupportable niche and be dropped in favor of programming with wider appeal, as many channels already have been over the years.

Radio should not be the home for Sinatra. The adult standards and oldies formats are dead as can be.

Maybe so for major market and corporate stations, but a small locally owned and run niche station, WJIB 740 AM and recently also on 101.3 FM, has a small but very devoted following in the metro Boston area that fully supports it with listener donations every year. Most (not all) of its listeners are seniors, but it's the only music station in the metro area that targets them full time, and there are lots of Sinatra songs frequently spun in their playlist.

WJIB does not subscribe to PPM so is currently not rated, but if you isolated the age group 65+ in the old diary system, WJIB was in the top five 65+ in Boston! The demo may not cater to sponsors, but they're listening, and it's good that they have a station and support it. Many in that demo grew up with LOCAL RADIO and still prefer it to streaming, downloads, or satellite radio.

Yeah, maybe that show will find it's following on WJIB
Do you think WJIB itself will die off soon once all the listeners literally die?

So he's the PD, DJ, GM, MD, etc. all at once? Must get quite the salary!

And his operation is all legal, too!!!

Considering what Mr Bittner has been able to accomplish, I hope he lives to be 100 or older.

"... the age group 65+ ... may not cater to sponsors, but they're listening, and it's good that they have a station and support it. Many in that demo grew up with LOCAL RADIO and still prefer it to streaming, downloads, or satellite radio."

Eli, you couldn't be more correct in your above quote!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom