• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Relocation of DTV channels

There was a thread on this a while back but I can't find it, so I thought I'd start this one only because of something that's going on with a couple of our local stations.

I had originally thought Hilo had no stations scheduled to migrate up the dial.

So yesterday, I turned the TV on and channels 4.1 (KITV abc) and 4.2 (MeTV) were not only gone but not even still in my presets from the automatic channel scan. Not even that 'no signal' message.

I worried they were completely gone but then I found something I've never seen before. We also have channels on 10.1 and 10.3 but now there's another channel on 10.1 which is what was 4.1 but instead of the call letters below the 10.1 frequency label when you first turn to the station, it says 'Test 001'.

And 10.2 now has what had been on 4.2 but with the frequency label that now says 'Test 002' under the 10.2.

First thing I did was Google search to find some info on this but couldn't find a thing.

So is this just some kind of a 'test' as it says or can I expect this to be something permanent?

I don't see how there can be two stations on 10.1 but there is.

And I didn't even do a scan to find these two stations at new locations. They were already in my presets.

The Rabbitears.info site has this well covered.

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php

Select a market, and the stations changing channels or going off are shown with current and future channel. If future channel is zero, they they are going off. Most stations that are going off plan to channel share with another station, but many have not announced what station that will be - if announced, the station they will share with is shown as "sh".

KMEB is staying on ch. 10, but they could be allowing another station to share with them that has not yet been announced.

I saw that, But I'm Puzzled

Why is KRON RF38 going to RF7 and KGO RF7 going to RF12 and KNTV RF12 going to RF13

That doesn't make sence to me at all

I saw that, But I'm Puzzled

Why is KRON RF38 going to RF7 and KGO RF7 going to RF12 and KNTV RF12 going to RF13

That doesn't make sence to me at all

KRON took the money to move to VHF High.
As for KGO and KNTV it has to do with interference with another station. I know on the East Coast this was big where 2 stations were co-located on same RF station and may have had some interference (due to overlap) so if one station moved RF frequencies then the other one usually did too. Existing interference "buddies" was OK but not for a new one. So that must be part of the reason.

The channels I had mentioned are now back to their original locations, 4.1 and 4.2, as of last week.

I guess it was just a test.

It may not be due to interference but more shuffling around in the area
With KRON moving to VHF that gave San Fran 3 VHF stations out of 7
Sacramento gets 9 & 10
Monterrey gets 8 & now 11 (with KCBA moving from 13 to 11)

This opened up 13 and I assume the reason is KNTV tower is further south than where KRON and KGO are that is why KNTV moves to 13 and KGO moves to 12. Now why didnt they just put KRON on 12? Well looking a little more it may have to do with both KGO and KRNV in Reno, NV both being on RF7 and both are moving to RF12 so that may go back to the interference explanation.

I'm just guessing here but from what I've read it may be the reason

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom