• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could pop rocks wind up on a Philly signal

Added it to my presets pretty much on day one that it appeared. Not that I'm doing deep comparisons, but to my initial listening, it seems to have some overlap with Ben FM. Maybe Pop Rocks is more 90/2000 while Ben is more (but not exclusively) 80s/90s and includes more pure pop, but there's still a passing resemblance. Beyond that, for the time being, I don't see anything that's more or less Pop Rocks being a widespread OTA format. It seems better suited for satellite (and streaming).

I don't see Beasley either pulling the plug on 97.5 in the foreseeable future OR doing something that close to existing formats in the cluster.

Still a specialty format. Philly would not be the market for this format.

Isn't it virtually "Classic" Modern AC? Modern AC as it is has really struggled to find success anywhere, though it sounds pretty good on SXM Pulse. Ben plays a decent amount of PopRocks material and will probably play more as time marches on. Ditto for More and Radio104.5.

On the contrary, in the last few days of sampling Ben to see if they were going that route, I heard more Rhythmic tunes such as Baby got Back, Wild Thing and Cant Touch This.

Sure they play those. More or less have been all along, but they also play a good amount of pop and rock from the 80s and 90s with a smattering of 2000s. It’s not that they’re “going “ that route as that they do have overlap and are perhaps as close as you’re going to find. Perfectly analogous? No. Nothing will be.

Not aware that any broadcast station is using this format, and not sure that any broadcast station could legally use this name.

I noticed that Pop Rocks is not a station that edits the songs to be broadcast radio safe the way the Pulse or Sirius Hits One are. I need to be aware of that when either listening in the car or at home with my children around.

I thought they would too, being a kid friendly format, not like the harder channels on the system. Same with Slacker you have to be careful of what format you are tuned in to, no edit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom