• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DXing the Eclipse

1290 is country, KOUU Pocatello 50KW.

^^^^ which would have been an interesting catch, as I had (what I believe was) KUMA on 1290 for a while. It was definitely talk. The only eclipse DX stn I forgot to mention here. KIT 1280 was in, weak, but I have heard it around 10 a.m. before during normal daylight conditions (Spring this year), so I didn't really count that as an eclipse catch.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this but it seems to me that (AM) DX is better on a night with a full moon. Looked this up and couldn't find anything on it. Does the energy reflecting off the moon energize the ionosphere (from the other side) and enhance DX?

No DX for me on Monday. When I was 9 years old I fell asleep in front of the TV about an hour before Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon. Supposedly my siblings and parents tried to wake me, but they didn't try hard enough in my book. With path of totality less than 300 miles north, I said let's not miss this one, so wife and I drove to Wyoming. Went halfway and slept in the car...getting too old for that. But motel rooms within 150 miles were sold out or sky high and that was a month ago.

Wyoming had perfect viewing. I think the thing that no one mentions is the 360 degree glow of sunset at the horizon during totality. That was almost as awesome as seeing the eclipsed sun.

This is certainly not a DX-topic pursuit question, so I figured to wait until the thread slowed down to post it.
(And I wouldn't have another forum on which to post it, anyway, hi.)

Plus, kf4rca had a similar inquiry.

How were the tides in Oregon and in South Carolina along the path affected by all this?
I mean, there wouldn't be any tides to gauge in places like Illinois, for example. And new Moons happen every month anyway.
Would shorefront locales during *totality* paths of a solar eclipse tend to experience aberrations?
Or would the Moon's presence absorb the brunt of the Sun's pull?

(Disclosure : I flunked Physics 1 in high school and had to take it again. So be gentle)

Last edited:
I don't have data on what the tides were here, and we're not quite in the path of totality, but I would guess the tides were quite a bit higher than usual. There was a story on the news about a fish hatchery raising Atlantic salmon up in the San Juan Islands where the pen holding them broke. They're blaming it on the high tides. How much higher they were I don't exactly know, my friend might though, and I need to call her this afternoon anyway.

This is certainly not a DX-topic pursuit question, so I figured to wait until the thread slowed down to post it.
(And I wouldn't have another forum on which to post it, anyway, hi.)

Plus, kf4rca had a similar inquiry.

How were the tides in Oregon and in South Carolina along the path affected by all this?
I mean, there wouldn't be any tides to gauge in places like Illinois, for example. And new Moons happen every month anyway.
Would shorefront locales during *totality* paths of a solar eclipse tend to experience aberrations?
Or would the Moon's presence absorb the brunt of the Sun's pull?

(Disclosure : I flunked Physics 1 in high school and had to take it again. So be gentle)

Two sources of gravity tugging in the same direction at the same time - no brainer - bigger tides. Gravity is additive. It is not a particle that can be blocked, either. However, if a major CME was headed towards Earth, the moon would protect us by blocking the worst of it. At least in the localized region of totality.

I have been impressed by the description of eclipse DX here and on groups like ABDX. Very counter-intuitive, especially after I tried it during a partial eclipse - near totality, though, and had little luck.

Nothing in Houston with 67% totality. Waste of time. It was back to the cardboard box viewer. Try again in 8 years, my cousin has a house under the path of totality.
Didn't buy eclipse glasses or build a cardboard box viewer for a one-time event. Checked the AM band for unusual phenomena. WBAP and KRLD wouldn't even come in. WBAP was unlistenable and KRLD was buried under KNTH first-adjacent hash. Nothing different than a normal day during daytime hours! The only strong signals were the locals.

WBBM was also buried under KBME first-adjacent hash. I looked for signs that the eclipse would manipulate the reception pattern since it would have to cross the path of totality to be received in Houston.

We were at 61% in San Antonio, and I had no unusual reception, either. From all the reports I've read, only those in areas with 75% totality or more had any DX action.
I wonder what was receivable in Dallas-Fort Worth? The 75% line passed near the Metroplex.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom