• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is it illegal to watch an out of market TV station ???

I got into an argument with an employee at Denver's KUSA over this. I say if I live in Denver I have the right to watch KOAA ( also NBC ) from Colorado Springs/Pueblo in Denver if I want too. He says that KUSA pays good money to be with NBC and I don't have the right to watch KOAA not even their newscasts on NewsON and the same goes with other NBC stations across the country. Ok if he is right how come KOAA and other NBC stations are on NewsON in the first place ?? Again if he is right what about say in Northern Virginia ?? Even though that area is in the DC market with an outdoor antenna you can easily get Baltimore TV too.

Depends on what you mean by "illegal." If your antenna can receive it, you can watch it.

If you jerry rig or lie to the cable company or satellite provider to get it put on your system, that's a problem.

But that's not what you're saying. You're saying you have a "RIGHT" to watch out of market, and you don't.

Show me where you are entitled to it as a "right."

What kind of garbage is that clown at KUSA spewing? There is nothing illegal about watching any TV station you can receive, in-market or out. I don't give a flying you-know-what how much any station is paying its network (didn't that use to be the other way around, BTW?). That's their problem, not yours or mine. If you can receive, and want to watch the NBC station in Pueblo, go for it. He and his station can stick it.

Depends on what you mean by "illegal." If your antenna can receive it, you can watch it.

If you jerry rig or lie to the cable company or satellite provider to get it put on your system, that's a problem.

But that's not what you're saying. You're saying you have a "RIGHT" to watch out of market, and you don't.

Show me where you are entitled to it as a "right."

Everyone has a right to watch or listen to any broadcast station that he/she can receive. The FCC cannot control radio propagation. If a station's broadcast (free to receive, by definition) signal encroaches on my property, I absolutely have the right to receive it.

Everyone has a right to watch or listen to any broadcast station that he/she can receive.

I think I said that in my first sentence. However I don't have a RIGHT to watch San Francisco TV in LA.

To have a RIGHT to do something, it needs to be spelled out somewhere.

I got into an argument with an employee at Denver's KUSA over this. I say if I live in Denver I have the right to watch KOAA ( also NBC ) from Colorado Springs/Pueblo in Denver if I want too. He says that KUSA pays good money to be with NBC and I don't have the right to watch KOAA not even their newscasts on NewsON and the same goes with other NBC stations across the country. Ok if he is right how come KOAA and other NBC stations are on NewsON in the first place ?? Again if he is right what about say in Northern Virginia ?? Even though that area is in the DC market with an outdoor antenna you can easily get Baltimore TV too.

But wait Newson specifically named Disney, Hubbard, Hearst, Raycom, Nexstar, TEGNA and Sinclair as investors of this app and NewsOn said that its OK to watch Newscasts from other parts of the country. What's with the KUSA's Staff members rants about exactly?

http://newson.us/partners/

Perhaps the more correct word would be "entitled" rather than "right".

Years ago, in the heyday of the Big Ugly Dish, there were many broadcasts in the clear (unencrypted). Programmers tried selling access to these clear broadcasts but the fact was, if they were broadcast in the clear anyone with the appropriate receiving equipment was entitled to view them without payment or subscription. Eventually, the programmers encrypted the broadcasts they wanted to restrict from the general public and it became illegal to operate an unsubscribed receiver to view their content.

Today, in border Canada, it is possible for Canadians to receive TV and radio broadcasts originating in the USA and (supposedly) intended for U.S. residents only. However it is not illegal for them to view the broadcasts they can receive and likewise for Americans to view Canadian broadcasts.

"illegal to watch an out of market tv station". That is an insane idea. If an out of market tv station is available then it is totally legal to watch. What?, some tv police are going to come into your home and arrest you for watching an out of market tv station? That is just plain stupid.

However, it may be illegal to offer local tv stations in markets out of market. Then the onus is on the tv station and/or distributer, not the user. Isn't this pretty simple?

Last edited:
Did he take or smoke something?

When I lived in Pacifica in the 80's..I love watching Out of Market station like KRBK(31) KOVR(13) When there was tropo

KCRA (3) Was a no go

What kind of garbage is that clown at KUSA spewing? There is nothing illegal about watching any TV station you can receive, in-market or out. I don't give a flying you-know-what how much any station is paying its network (didn't that use to be the other way around, BTW?). That's their problem, not yours or mine. If you can receive, and want to watch the NBC station in Pueblo, go for it. He and his station can stick it.

If it was up to that guy, DXing would be a prosecutable offense. Crazy. Same with people who lived in markets where not all OTA broadcast affiliates were offered (and to this day with subchannel netlets).

But wait Newson specifically named Disney, Hubbard, Hearst, Raycom, Nexstar, TEGNA and Sinclair as investors of this app and NewsOn said that its OK to watch Newscasts from other parts of the country. What's with the KUSA's Staff members rants about exactly?

http://newson.us/partners/

What the guy from KUSA is saying that you can't watch ANYTHIMG from out of market stations. In his eyes if you want to watch Denver you must be IN Denver likewise with KMBC in Kansas City then you must be in Kansas City. This reminds me of the early days in the internet. WPVI in Philly and Buffalo's WKBW had a link for those outside the area. Click it and it went straight to Yahoo plus WKBW wouldn't let you watch the videos like "AM Buffalo" unless you were in western New York.

For the record I just went to NewsOn and despite being a Tegna station KUSA is not there likewise with the other Denver stations.

Last edited:
I think I said that in my first sentence. However I don't have a RIGHT to watch San Francisco TV in LA.

But certainly not illegal. That's why they call it BROADcast TV. I grew up in Tujunga, CA - in the foothills near Glendale. Pre-cable in the 50s, up to the mid 60s, the LA stations came in with ghosts and all sorts of noise. The San Diego stations came in crystal clear, so we watched 6, 8, and 10 for the networks. Similarly, where I live now in San Francisco, facing south, the San Jose stations come in clearer than some of the San Francisco station...depending on where their transmitters are located. Some have moved off Sutro tower onto Mt. San Bruno, so they come in clearer for my location. I have DirecTV now, and before that had cable for years, so it's no longer an issue.

What the guy from KUSA is saying that you can't watch ANYTHIMG from out of market stations. In his eyes if you want to watch Denver you must be IN Denver likewise with KMBC in Kansas City then you must be in Kansas City. This reminds me of the early days in the internet. WPVI in Philly and Buffalo's WKBW had a link for those outside the area. Click it and it went straight to Yahoo plus WKBW wouldn't let you watch the videos like "AM Buffalo" unless you were in western New York.

For the record I just went to NewsOn and despite being a Tegna station KUSA is not there likewise with the other Denver stations.

Wait isn't geoblocking a radio thing for mainly because the radio station owners are locally owned and does not have the budget to get national advertisers. I never knew that TV did the same thing. I'm well aware of Paywalls for certain video feeds though.

But certainly not illegal. That's why they call it BROADcast TV. I grew up in Tujunga, CA - in the foothills near Glendale. Pre-cable in the 50s, up to the mid 60s, the LA stations came in with ghosts and all sorts of noise. The San Diego stations came in crystal clear, so we watched 6, 8, and 10 for the networks. Similarly, where I live now in San Francisco, facing south, the San Jose stations come in clearer than some of the San Francisco station...depending on where their transmitters are located. Some have moved off Sutro tower onto Mt. San Bruno, so they come in clearer for my location. I have DirecTV now, and before that had cable for years, so it's no longer an issue.

http://cbslocal.com

Also Newson, CBS Local, Filmon, and Pluto TV allows us to watch Local and national News from various parts of the country these days. In The Analog days back in the 1990's I can get both Sacramento and San Francisco TV Stations in Solano County mainly because the area I happen to live is halfway from both Walnut Grove (Sacramento Delta) and Mt. Sutro.

I would say it's more like driving a car. You don't have a right to do so but rather a privilege however in this case, you don't need a license.

Wait isn't geoblocking a radio thing for mainly because the radio station owners are locally owned and does not have the budget to get national advertisers. I never knew that TV did the same thing. I'm well aware of Paywalls for certain video feeds though.

Blocking of a stream, when done on TV, is to protect affiliation and syndication territory rights of other affiliates and program buyers in different DMAs.

For example, if a station in the Denver market runs Judge Judy, another station in the SLC DMA will likely also have the rights. So if the Denver station streams at all, it may be compelled by the syndicator to block out other DMAs. This practice is very common on sports networks, where streaming may be prohibited or very limited in area.

The reason local music radio stations geoblock is to avoid paying digital rights for listeners they can not monetize. They can't monetize them because there is relatively little to no listening to such stations outside their market area, so there is no measured audience and no potential revenue. Such stations get national advertisers via their national rep firm but radio buys focus on covering local markets with local stations, not on listening to one market's stations in other markets.

Last edited:
If an out of market tv station is available then it is totally legal to watch. What?, some tv police are going to come into your home and arrest you for watching an out of market tv station? That is just plain stupid.

However, it may be illegal to offer local tv stations in markets out of market. Then the onus is on the tv station and/or distributer, not the user. Isn't this pretty simple?
If you do this Andre Braugher and Andy Samberg will come to your door.

With an antenna I can get several Greensboro market stations but I am considered to be in the Charlotte market. Ironically, most Charlotte stations are farther from me than the Greensboro area stations. I get one Greensboro station from Spectrum (there used to be more years ago when it was still Time Warner, but I was just using an antenna and getting good results back then).

I'd be interested in how this conversation came up in the first place.

You can watch anything you can receive without going to extreme measures, such as hacking your satellite box.

Now... some people who live in one market get ticked off because they can't watch another market on satellite. For instance, where I grew up, is the Sherman, Texas-Ada, Oklahoma market. People in and around Sherman used to watch Dallas-Fort Worth stations via antenna and even on cable, until .2 and .3 channels allowed the locals to carry all of the major networks and a couple of minor networks.

People still try to get their satellite installers to give them the DFW market because they believe they have "the right" to view those stations via satellite, and they get upset with the cable company because they have "the right" to view those stations via cable.

Most affiliation contracts are exclusive to the point that the affiliates don't have "the right" to offer network programs outside their own DMA, whether by cable, satellite, or online. Same goes for syndicated programming.

They can't control the over-the-air signal, though. If you can see it, you can watch it. Your local affiliate (and its advertisers) would prefer that you watch network shows on the local channel. The distant stations don't gain anything from those out-of-market stations--they don't get ratings from out-of-market viewing and their advertisers won't pay more to reach you. But if the signal is available to you, there's nothing illegal about watching it.

I'd be interested in how this conversation came up in the first place.

The guy from KUSA came to our house to buy a computer. He noticed that I was watching KOAA-TV on NewsON and became very VERY upset because not only am I getting KOAA on NewsON but I would rather watch that than KUSA

Blocking of a stream, when done on TV, is to protect affiliation and syndication territory rights of other affiliates and program buyers in different DMAs.

For example, if a station in the Denver market runs Judge Judy, another station in the SLC DMA will likely also have the rights. So if the Denver station streams at all, it may be compelled by the syndicator to block out other DMAs. This practice is very common on sports networks, where streaming may be prohibited or very limited in area.

The reason local music radio stations geoblock is to avoid paying digital rights for listeners they can not monetize. They can't monetize them because there is relatively little to no listening to such stations outside their market area, so there is no measured audience and no potential revenue. Such stations get national advertisers via their national rep firm but radio buys focus on covering local markets with local stations, not on listening to one market's stations in other markets.

What about in the case of shows like WKBW's "AM Buffalo" ?? The show is not syndicated to other stations but YET you can't watch it 200 miles away in Pittsburgh ??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom