• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Eclipse 2017: Who is covering it?

Please explain to me why it's okay to look at the sun with regular sunglasses, but you need overpriced cardboard glasses to see darkness?

It's not safe to look at the sun any time, even with regular sunglasses. But people are more likely to try to keep looking where they normally wouldn't because of trying to see the eclipse. I have a pair of the glasses that are safe and they're so dark that you can't see anything but the sun through them.

I was able to look right at the sun with no problem last week. I think the name of what I was seeing was cirrostratus clouds. Now if we could be that lucky today we wouldn't have a problem. It seems pretty dark out right now, though, and cumulus clouds won't work. Yes, you can look toward the sun, but you won't see anything. It'll be a couple of hours before anything happens here.

KTVU+ the Fox O&O in San Francisco is airing the Nasa Feed of the eclipse with local Anchors doing interviews with Astronomers at this time. San Francisco is cloudy and the eclipse did not happen here. But on CBSN, CBS News and KPIX there was a live shot in Oregon with CBS News doing interviews.

Some of you may have local coverage of the Eclipse due to the fact that NASA named these states as places where the total solar eclipse will take place.

Believe it or not it clouded up in Jackson, TN at peak time, but the sun popped out with enough clouds over it that you could see it for a few seconds without glasses, but I had to go back to using them immediately when the clouds went away. If there are enough clouds or at sunrise or sunset you might can look at the sun safely. But on a clear day, especially in the Summer, it's dangerous any time.

Went out for the 95.3% totality here, then came back and St. Joseph MO was under totality on ABC (there was a wedding going on!). CBS also had live coverage from IL and SC. Daytime shows screwed up today, The View was preempted of course, The Chew on ABC was a rerun, General Hospital is a rerun from 1-2 months ago with a lot of 800-number direct response commercials. Days of Our Lives is a new episode on NBC (!); while The Talk on CBS is a rerun from April. All commercials are PSAs. I've noticed this before with soaps and TPIR when a CBS News Special Report interrupts the whole show on the east coast. This was obviously the case today.
Gorgeous photos from Carbondale and Nashville, but haven't seen the views from Madras yet. Obviously when they were at 100%, we were at 95+ % - and the temperature dropped 5-10 degrees here for several minutes.

WLEX (NBC) and WKYT (CBS) from Lexington did local coverage from Hopkinsville as well as from the Lexington metro area. I believe all Louisville stations did live coverage from Hopkinsville, as did WKRC (CBS) from Cincinnati, and WPSD (NBC) from Paducah, Ky. All Nashville stations were in either Hopkinsville or some other nearby town, and I believe WBKO out of Bowling Green and WFIE out of Evansville did local coverage as well.

BTW no local coverage in Yakima. All national reports. I wonder if KTVZ aired local coverage.

Please explain to me why it's okay to look at the sun with regular sunglasses, but you need overpriced cardboard glasses to see darkness?

If I understood some of the reports correctly, it's not so much that it's "OK" to look at the sun but rather that people tend to look for very short periods and avert their eyes from the most direct light as much as possible. During an eclipse, there is a tendency to try to stare right at the sun itself, for a prolonged period of time compared to "normal" conditions. You'll fry your eyes either way, but it's deceptive in an eclipse--it's a warning.

Cardboard glasses were free where I worked they sold out last Monday they gave the glasses to the co-workers. It isn't safe to look at the sun when their is an eclipse.

I never did get around to posting here afterward. The sky was almost completely covered with clouds east of Charlotte NC after a forecast for clear skies. After the sun came back, the clouds went away. It just got really dark.

I enjoyed watching what I saw of ABC's 2-hour special. However, one thing I definitely fast-forwarded through was Bonnie Tyler singing toward the end.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom