• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD FM on Long Island

Are there any plans to ever increase fhe power on the NYC FM Stations HD Subchannels? Once you get close to the Nassau/Suffolk border, HD Radio gets very spotty, if receivable at all.

The car stereos (My Mazda CX-5) seems to have a very high HD Threshold as the indicator shows that HD is available if the signal is stronger. The manufacturers should allow weaker HD reception and let the user choose whether to switch back to Analog.

With the maximum of 10% of the analog power they cannot expect HD's coverage to even barely match Analog. And the only HD AM Stations I can get are 880 and 1010 and their signals do not always stay in at HD.

Any thoughts?

With the maximum of 10% of the analog power they cannot expect HD's coverage to even barely match Analog. And the only HD AM Stations I can get are 880 and 1010 and their signals do not always stay in at HD.

Digital power is not directly comparable to analog power. At 10% of analog, digital should have the equivalent of at least the 65 dbu analog coverage.

But unfortunately you lose the FM HD signal while the Analog FM signal is still decent. Basically it is hard to get a reliable HD FM beyond 35 miles from
NYC, whereas Analog is decent for close to 50 miles.

Last edited:
Are there any plans to ever increase fhe power on the NYC FM Stations HD Subchannels?
Yes, I believe they will when they switch to the all-digital mode,
but I do not know how much they will be able to put out in that mode.
TV stations lost from three to seven dB depending on the band
when they converted from analog to digital.

Last edited:
I don't realistically think the US will switch to all digital. People will not buy digital convertes for their radios (unlike TV). It would likely spell the end of AM and FM. Those with HD Radios would be set but it would make every portable radio and stereo receiver's tuner sections obsolete.

I don't realistically think the US will switch to all digital.
The future is vast,
maybe infinite;
Eternity is eternal;
Forever is forever;
And you, my very
Young Grasshopper,
are here!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom